England to PLAY in 2022??

1 minute ago, Hela Wigmen said:

A regular international tournament of a decent standing is going to see players with ancestry stick their hands up to play, so you’ll see a better standard but that doesn’t necessarily mean they’ll stick with those nations like some of the Tongans have. 

Its a start though.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Its a start though.

Indeed and I'd just centralise it all too and treat everyone equally, again as you would in a World Cup. All players get paid the same, any profits are split equally etc. You could even have the junior matches, that largely already happen taking place at the same time, with the same Championship format, as curtain raisers. Give all of those developing players, and those likely also dabbling in RU in developing countries, a real taste of what they could do in RL and a platform to showcase their talents to pro clubs. Show a clear pathway of how you can progress with your country and get international games at whatever level.

5 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

When will the 2022 European Championship be played. End of season perhaps? Isn't the Qatar World Cup better played November time? Uh oh!

21st November start date. Can’t imagine that there’d be too many RL games beyond that date. 

1 hour ago, Damien said:

Indeed and I'd just centralise it all too and treat everyone equally, again as you would in a World Cup. All players get paid the same, any profits are split equally etc. You could even have the junior matches, that largely already happen taking place at the same time, with the same Championship format, as curtain raisers. Give all of those developing players, and those likely also dabbling in RU in developing countries, a real taste of what they could do in RL and a platform to showcase their talents to pro clubs. Show a clear pathway of how you can progress with your country and get international games at whatever level.

Absolutely, I'd go as far as having England play away in most of the games too just to give the game over there a boost. In England these are ideal fixtures for non-traditional areas too.

I've lost track but are England planning any internationals later in the year? A Southern Hemisphere team is next to no chance but maybe a Super League based England team Vs Ireland, France or Wales.

Probably low priority this year I guess.

53 minutes ago, jim_57 said:

I've lost track but are England planning any internationals later in the year? A Southern Hemisphere team is next to no chance but maybe a Super League based England team Vs Ireland, France or Wales.

Probably low priority this year I guess.

Shaun Wane was keen on getting some kind of fixture(s) arranged for England and Wales had suggested that they play England but I imagine the late November finish to the SL season that has since been agreed has put an end to any prospect of England playing this year. The first opportunity for international fixtures is likely mid season 2021 now.

3 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Samoa, Tonga, PNG or Fiji would more than suffice in Australia or NZ’s absence. 

I totally agree ,you guys should be having a series every year now, there`s plenty of exciting opposition.

3 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

The risk we have to be aware of is that Australia and New Zealand no longer have to play us to play high level internationals, so we need to build up our alternatives.

I saw an interview between V'Landys and Phil Gould and both agreed that the NRL needs a strong Northern hemisphere. World class stadiums all over OZ,  where they know they can draw a crowd  , it`s something that other game doesn`t have and a great way to get people to have a look at the game. More international League is definitely on the agenda.

4 hours ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

Won't happen,  by 2022 coronavirus will merge with the swine flu and chicken pox to create a super virus and shut down the planet and all sporting codes, except for "girl on girl jelly wrestling".... I call it Virus X (x is for extreme)

Still, good news about the girl on girl jelly wrestling.

1 hour ago, The Rocket said:

I saw an interview between V'Landys and Phil Gould and both agreed that the NRL needs a strong Northern hemisphere. World class stadiums all over OZ,  where they know they can draw a crowd  , it`s something that other game doesn`t have and a great way to get people to have a look at the game. More international League is definitely on the agenda.

More yes, but Oz and NZ can and will go to the pacific when its easier to do so. In the mean time we need to spearhead a similar level of growth in Europe and the Northern Hemisphere 

I agree with those who say it would be great if there could be two international windows - one in the summer and one in the autumn/winter. It would be good to see England play teams like Wales and France on a warm summers evening - it might even encourage a few more families and kids to go along. Then they can play the Aussies and Kiwis etc. in the usual November slot.

I also agree that it would be good idea to try and play some of the England games around the country. You could have England v Wales in Bristol, England v France in London or south coast, England v Scotland in Newcastle/Sunderland/Middlesbro, etc.

When the Aussies/Kiwis come over, it makes sense to use Leeds and Manchester, so the heartlands won't be being ignored either.

24 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

I agree with those who say it would be great if there could be two international windows - one in the summer and one in the autumn/winter. It would be good to see England play teams like Wales and France on a warm summers evening - it might even encourage a few more families and kids to go along. Then they can play the Aussies and Kiwis etc. in the usual November slot.

I also agree that it would be good idea to try and play some of the England games around the country. You could have England v Wales in Bristol, England v France in London or south coast, England v Scotland in Newcastle/Sunderland/Middlesbro, etc.

When the Aussies/Kiwis come over, it makes sense to use Leeds and Manchester, so the heartlands won't be being ignored either.

I definitely think the European opposition would work well like that at home in England. Other than that we should be looking to play them in their countries as much as possible too.

5 hours ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

Won't happen,  by 2022 coronavirus will merge with the swine flu and chicken pox to create a super virus and shut down the planet and all sporting codes, except for "girl on girl jelly wrestling".... I call it Virus X (x is for extreme)

This 'girl on girl jelly wrestling' of which you speak, HPOF.  Is it presently available on satellite TV, or maybe on its own dedicated YouTube channel?  Obviously, it sounds too erotically dubious for me to want to actually watch it, but I am just curious...obviously, as I say.

5 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

This 'girl on girl jelly wrestling' of which you speak, HPOF.  Is it presently available on satellite TV, or maybe on its own dedicated YouTube channel?  Obviously, it sounds too erotically dubious for me to want to actually watch it, but I am just curious...obviously, as I say.

It’s great from the front row , I’m told . Tickets are usually £29.99 , so someone said . You’re not allowed to film it on your phone or you get thrown out .... I read somewhere 🙄

For Gods sale please in the name of Mary RUGBY LEAGUE BOSSES get your act together 

INTERNATIONALS = MORE FANS (This is not bloody Einstein)

As I have said before even ENGLAND v FRANCE in places like Portsmouth and Plymouth in June would draw 20/25000 sell out crowds.

We need 2 INTERNATIONAL WINDOWS a year

June

November 

Is that asking much?

Paul

55 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

For Gods sale please in the name of Mary RUGBY LEAGUE BOSSES get your act together 

INTERNATIONALS = MORE FANS (This is not bloody Einstein)

As I have said before even ENGLAND v FRANCE in places like Portsmouth and Plymouth in June would draw 20/25000 sell out crowds.

We need 2 INTERNATIONAL WINDOWS a year

June

November 

Is that asking much?

Paul

England v France in Plymouth would get 20,000? I’ll have a pint of what you’ve been on. 

2 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

England v France in Plymouth would get 20,000? I’ll have a pint of what you’ve been on. 

Totally disagree with a proper marketing plan (1 year in advance) that would easily be achieved.

* Local marketing is set up 1 year before

* 2/3 persons in temporary office

* Build up relations with local press radio TV

* 1 year schools development 

The cost of staging a match like this would be in the region of £ 125000.00 (Includes players/Hotels/1 year marketing costs with staff) 

PEANUTS

You market the hell out of it early on with premium tickets (Best seats £ 50.00 each) x 5000 = £ 250000.00 then after 6 months you put the cheap places on sale £ 20.00 adults £ 10.00 kids another £ 300000.00 Total £ 550000.00 in gate receipts alone + TV RIGHTS

Don't say it cannot be done it can you can even find persons to take a punt and underwrite it .

In 2005 similar thing London Broncos v Leeds Rhinos in Perpignan was underwritten for £ 80K even with a crowd of 7000 it produced around £ 170000.00 profit.

Never under estimate the power of private investors in anything:)

1 hour ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Totally disagree with a proper marketing plan (1 year in advance) that would easily be achieved.

* Local marketing is set up 1 year before

* 2/3 persons in temporary office

* Build up relations with local press radio TV

* 1 year schools development 

The cost of staging a match like this would be in the region of £ 125000.00 (Includes players/Hotels/1 year marketing costs with staff) 

PEANUTS

You market the hell out of it early on with premium tickets (Best seats £ 50.00 each) x 5000 = £ 250000.00 then after 6 months you put the cheap places on sale £ 20.00 adults £ 10.00 kids another £ 300000.00 Total £ 550000.00 in gate receipts alone + TV RIGHTS

Don't say it cannot be done it can you can even find persons to take a punt and underwrite it .

In 2005 similar thing London Broncos v Leeds Rhinos in Perpignan was underwritten for £ 80K even with a crowd of 7000 it produced around £ 170000.00 profit.

Never under estimate the power of private investors in anything:)

Pie in the sky. 

14 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

Wouldn't it better for the lower tier games to be in the heartlands

20 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

England need to be playing regularly, but it needs to be against the teams above and France. 

Scotland, Wales, Ireland, Italy, Serbia, Greece also need to be playing regularly, but against each other, not England. 

Super League and NRL players need to be facing each other in internationals not part timer players and amateurs. 

21 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I agreed with this earlier and even suggested an annual tour from one of them when Oz and NZ didn`t tour, however something struck me today , these countries are probably tied up with the Pacific Cup at the end of the season over here. A possible solution would be for you to invite either the tier 1 or tier 2 Pacific Cup to be played in the Northern Hemisphere , you could be involved but not be playing for the Cup.

Archived