Teams not wanting to come to Perpignan (Merged Threads)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That’s ridiculous.

It sounds like a spiteful dog in the manger attitude.

Currently different jurisdictions in Australia allow different numbers of fans in the stadium and I’ve not heard a single complaint from NRL clubs. Actually, it would be incomprehensible for an NRL club to raise it as an issue.

If clubs are able to stage games and cover the logistics, they should stage games. As close to normal as possible should be the aim. 

That said, I don't buy the reasoning, it is clearly an opinion. Maybe clubs are nervous about the additional travel on planes and playing in front of 5k fans because of the virus risk rather than a few chants against them. 

1 hour ago, The Rocket said:

If that is true ,then honestly there is no hope for you blokes.    MYOPIC.

Absolutely,too many small minded clubs and owners in SL Only interested in 'surviving' another year in their little back yard.

With the people in charge of certain clubs responsible for running the sports top competition I have little hope for the sport in the UK. Insular and small minded springs to mind yet again.

Do they want Catalan to go bankrupt? 

Yet another reason for French clubs headed by Catalan to form their own elite competition 

1 hour ago, The Rocket said:

If that is true ,then honestly there is no hope for you blokes.    MYOPIC.

Mate the people that run the clubs over here are just simpletons with no visions. UK RL is f***ed I'm telling you 

Instead of seeing the positives and possibly how they can create income from this (Maybe try and get their fans over there) or even get into their heads that's it's great for the SL tv product that their are fans at the game the English clubs show their small mindedness.

I'm completely incensed 

If true, it is disgraceful, and these responsible English club bosses are digging the grave of rugby league growth in France by their narrow minded parochialism.

I don’t know who these club bosses are, but I am sure that Ian Lenagan is not one of them.

When another poster on a different thread suggested that the Gilbert Brutus could be used in the rotation of venues until all clubs can play at home I responded that I expected clubs to not want to due to cost of flights etc. so if this is true I am not wholly surprised. I think if the Catalans can play at home with a crowd then let them do so (all clubs would have flown out to play there at some stage anyway and it isn't as if they will be getting more than 11 home games in total plus flying back and forth is likely to hit Catalans' pocket more than the other clubs should they get some home games); but it should not be used for double/triple headers as for clubs not playing Catalans to fly to France would be an unnecessary expense (I don't know whether Catalans have suggested that).

The cynic in me says that this is angling from clubs to get a cut of Catalans' gate money.

Gary Carter is a trustworthy source - and I hope he names and shames those who are trying to stop these games so they can be publicly ridiculed. 

Surely we should be celebrating the fact that crowds in the Northern Hemisphere can attend rugby league games again and bending over backwards to get games on in Perpignan if they are allowed to let supporters in. It's a great moment for rugby league supporters, whichever team you follow.

If the English clubs don't want to travel to France, for safety or commercial reasons, then I wish they would have the decency to just say why rather than make a ridiculous excuse like this.

I really really hope this isn't true because it is embarrassing if it is.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Leeds already said they don't want to come as the catalans will have an unfair advantage having a crowd, as Bernard says in the interview the catalans play every other week in front of a one sided crowd, although this isn't the English clubs fault. 

It should be very simple, if the British government allow travel to France and the French government allow travel from Britain, then teams should be compelled to fulfil their fixtures with Catalan or face the consequences as laid down in the operational rules of the competition. Catalan should not be punished because they French government have managed this crisis better than the British government and allow crowds back earlier.

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

If this is true I hope Catalans refuse to go to Leeds, or wherever, in return for their management being self-serving dipsticks. It's like something from a primary school playground. I can't see why any club would want to squander a positive opportunity for the sport for something so petty. The phrase "rugby league family" is quickly bandied around in times of tragedy but when it comes to basic morality, it's out of the window. As a previous poster said, where is the leadership from the game's authorities?

Archived