Teams not wanting to come to Perpignan (Merged Threads)

2 minutes ago, barnyia said:

Decent translation 

I was very surprised with the output. It is a very large aside from the topic but voice and language within technology has progressed massively in recent years. I was working at Microsoft in 2001 and a colleague was working on the original voice recognition software and it was terrible (albeit groundbreaking). Amazing how far these AI elements have come.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Catalans are allowed to play home games in front of 5000 fans. Surely it makes sense for Catalans to play all their home games 1st when the season restarts.

It would even make sense for Catalans away games to be at the Stade Brutas with the gate money going to the team that should be at home, while UK clubs can’t have fans in their stadiums.

This would be a better solution than asking players to take up to 25% pay cuts, playing in empty stadiums and potentially having players on strike.

Unbelievably some clubs don’t want Catalans to even play their home games at home and instead to play them in the UK in empty stadiums. This is madness, we need to get fans in stadiums and take in some money where we can.

11 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Unbelievably some clubs don’t want Catalans to even play their home games at home and instead to play them in the UK in empty stadiums. This is madness, we need to get fans in stadiums and take in some money where we can.

I don't think it is "unbelievable" at all. Have you met British RL supporters?

The original reasion for deferment in March - Note it's Catalans who do not want to play behind closed doors

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/leeds-rhinos-wont-travel-france-catalans-dragons-clash-due-coronavirus-scare-2449085

Nothing in either the Yorkshire Post or Yorkshire Evening Post on this and they are well fed with Rhinos stories but hey never let facts get in the way of a French media beat-up.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

We need to fully understand the reasons why there is pushback on Catalans playing games in Perpignan, if indeed there is any pushback.

But I suspect the reasons are less around 5k noisy fans and more about costs of travel and increased risks associated with flying, using hotels etc. 

• John Drake changed the title to Teams not wanting to come to Perpignan (Merged Threads)
5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

We need to fully understand the reasons why there is pushback on Catalans playing games in Perpignan, if indeed there is any pushback.

But I suspect the reasons are less around 5k noisy fans and more about costs of travel and increased risks associated with flying, using hotels etc. 

I think Leeds may have a problem with the catch-up game being midweek in Perpignan.

PSG played a friendly in Le Havre infront of a 5000 crowd yesterday. I think masks were required and distancing too. It was attended by the French Governments Sports Minister. She said that they will be looking at present numbers later this week. Gave you the impression they will raise it for the two soccer Cup Finals which go ahead at the national Stade de France in Paris two weeks time. With the Catalans there hope is playing from the off  infront of 5000 made up I understand of only season tickets holders and sponsors. Would like no doubt to raise it from September onwards for none-ticket holders.

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

There is no need to stay in a hotel, fly there and back in the same day, chartering a flight should be cheaper than ever with so many planes grounded and pilots been made redundant. 

11 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

No home games for Catalans until 3/4 September and 5 away games in August, presumably that's the compromise from the crowds are unfair / travel costs debate.

http://www.catalansdragons.com/en/articles-9/206-7884-super-league-fixtures-unveiled/

Hopefully they can win 3 of the 5 minimum, and then really get the home fans behind them for the run into the finals.

Earlier Guasch thought they'would get  between 6-8 games scheduled at home. So must be pleased with that. Will finish up with them playing all sides home and away as it should be. Tough August with 5 trips across the Channel. Fingers crossed that L Equipe TV come up with some live coverage. Sky showing all matches live in August. L'Equipe have taken live feeds before - from BBC coverage of the last Kiwi Tests series shown here full coverage Every house hold in France takes L'Equipe television free. Could be a real coup for the Dragons and the treize..

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

2 minutes ago, audois said:

Earlier Guasch thought they'would get be between 6-8 games scheduled at home. So must be pleased with that. Will finish up with them playing all sides home and away as it should be. Tough Auguest with 5 trips across the Channel. Fingers crossed that L Equipe TV come up with some live coverage. Sky showing all matches live in August. Every house hold in France takes L'Equipe television free. Could be a real coup for the Dragons and the treize..

As ever, Gordon, thanks from the update from the perspective of a French resident.  I see Les Dracs' website is openly referring to helpful support from Sky Sports TV as the push is made to get home games in Perpignan covered by L'Equipe.  I presume the deal, if agreed, would be for Sky to take the Perpignan matches from L'Equipe, with the French broadcaster getting Sky's coverage of the Dragons in England (and maybe more, all-English clashes?)

42 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

No home games for Catalans until 3/4 September and 5 away games in August, presumably that's the compromise from the crowds are unfair / travel costs debate.

http://www.catalansdragons.com/en/articles-9/206-7884-super-league-fixtures-unveiled/

This is crazy. Catalans are allowed 5000 home fans right now but instead will play 5 away games in front of 0 fans.

12 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

This is crazy. Catalans are allowed 5000 home fans right now but instead will play 5 away games in front of 0 fans.

And in September may be allowed 10,000 or still 5000, it makes little difference as far as I can see, other than giving them the opportunity to grow

On 11/07/2020 at 20:32, Manfred Mann said:

If this story is true, then Gary Hetherington has once again shown himself to be a barrel chested buffoon. Decent club owners like Ian Lenagan, and (I hope), Eamonn McManus, Simon Moran, and Ken Davy, need to stand up against this Francophobe destructiveness. We need Catalans to be a prosperous member of Super League.  

We need Catalans to be the catalyst for FT RL in Europe. We need to assist the phase between now and having sufficient clubs to run a Europe or French comp, by expanding SL to 2x 10 taking in TO and Avignon, whilst adding cashed up N American teams when ready. It may even be 2x 12 or very quickly be.

Too many reasons given by lazy clubs hold our sport back, find the ways!

On 16/07/2020 at 14:21, Whippet13 said:

Not really away games as they will be neutral venues. Although granted they will obviously have to travel but looking at the fixture list Catalans have a good run. 

1 hour ago, bobbruce said:

Not really away games as they will be neutral venues. Although granted they will obviously have to travel but looking at the fixture list Catalans have a good run. 

I get your point, but they are classed as away games in the schedule so Catalans are being denied the opportunity to play at home in front of their fans with 5 consecutive trips to England. That is quite a tough and rather unfair challenge compared to the other clubs, but if they can win 3 or 4 then it does give them a good opportunity from September onwards.

27 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

I get your point, but they are classed as away games in the schedule so Catalans are being denied the opportunity to play at home in front of their fans with 5 consecutive trips to England. That is quite a tough and rather unfair challenge compared to the other clubs, but if they can win 3 or 4 then it does give them a good opportunity from September onwards.

They aren't really being kept from playing at home it's just that their home games will come weighted towards the end of the season rather than spread all through it. Also as Tommygilf said it gives them the possibility of playing in front of larger home support later in the season.

Archived