Highlights Digicel Cup Rd 2

Thanks again, great to watch. I can't help thinking, if they had twice the population, they'd murder us at this game. 

3 hours ago, fighting irish said:

Thanks again, great to watch. I can't help thinking, if they had twice the population, they'd murder us at this game. 

I think PNG would beat Wales if the game was in PNG. If they played in Wales its hard to say who wins, would be good to see Wales with Ben Flower and Regan Grace and PNG with NRL players like Mcdonald and Olam would be a very interesting game.

Would like to see NZ residents play PNG residents, would like to see both countries residents side exchange tours.

Outside of Australia & UK competitions the SP Cup stands up to comparison with French Elite One and Auckland's Fox memorial. The only thing that seems to be lacking is a bit of size in forwards.

On 13/07/2020 at 04:08, fighting irish said:

With the PNG Hunters providing that pathway between the Digicel Cup and the NRL it has helped the Kumuls so much. It's the reason the defeated Great Britain really. 

new rise.jpg

On 13/07/2020 at 04:08, fighting irish said:

I was impressed with the quality as well. They do that scooting out of dummy half really well, just like that great try against Britain just before halftime. Population 8.6m in 2018, lets face it,  the way that country is cut in half is wrong the whole thing should be Papua New Guinea. Western New Guinea (what it should be called) pop. 4.5m. Now we`re talking 13m +.

1 hour ago, The Rocket said:

I was impressed with the quality as well. They do that scooting out of dummy half really well, just like that great try against Britain just before halftime. Population 8.6m in 2018, lets face it,  the way that country is cut in half is wrong the whole thing should be Papua New Guinea. Western New Guinea (what it should be called) pop. 4.5m. Now we`re talking 13m +.

It`s often occurred to me that if the PNG GDP ever reached Western levels that would have a huge impact on the RL world. Roughly twice the population of New Zealand.

There have been lots of PNG wildlife and other documentaries shown on TV in the UK. The programmes are inherently interesting, but you also get to play "Spot the Rugby League jersey".

Apparently some remote Papuan tribes only saw white men for the first time in the 1930s and thought they were the ghosts of their ancestors. Initial encounters with Australians can be a shock in any circumstances.

4 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

It`s often occurred to me that if the PNG GDP ever reached Western levels that would have a huge impact on the RL world. Roughly twice the population of New Zealand.

There have been lots of PNG wildlife and other documentaries shown on TV in the UK. The programmes are inherently interesting, but you also get to play "Spot the Rugby League jersey".

Apparently some remote Papuan tribes only saw white men for the first time in the 1930s and thought they were the ghosts of their ancestors. Initial encounters with Australians can be a shock in any circumstances.

P.N.G. is a mineral and forestry resource rich nation  that has long been held back by political instability and corruption. The inaccessibility of its` interior has compounded  the problem. It also led to that delayed contact with white man. I recall hearing a taped interview with an old man from one of these remote tribes once, he explained how the forearm was the most sought after cut when devouring another human. I have a novel floating around here by P.N.G. author Vincent Eri ` The Crocodile`, which I read in the 80`s.The thing that always stuck in my mind was the strong spirituality and sense of place in nature.

Yes , and if you include Irian Jaya (West Papua) total pop.13m+.  Things are happening in New Guinea and I think will only  accelerate as this part of the world becomes a  point of strategic competition between the West and China. A lot of big Australian mining companies investing there, as long as they do the right thing!

Hopefully big mining company equals well funded rugby league.

3 hours ago, The Rocket said:

P.N.G. is a mineral and forestry resource rich nation  that has long been held back by political instability and corruption. The inaccessibility of its` interior has compounded  the problem. It also led to that delayed contact with white man. I recall hearing a taped interview with an old man from one of these remote tribes once, he explained how the forearm was the most sought after cut when devouring another human. I have a novel floating around here by P.N.G. author Vincent Eri ` The Crocodile`, which I read in the 80`s.The thing that always stuck in my mind was the strong spirituality and sense of place in nature.

Yes , and if you include Irian Jaya (West Papua) total pop.13m+.  Things are happening in New Guinea and I think will only  accelerate as this part of the world becomes a  point of strategic competition between the West and China. A lot of big Australian mining companies investing there, as long as they do the right thing!

Hopefully big mining company equals well funded rugby league.

I`ve seen a few items detailing how tribalism holds them back economically. Some of the initiation rites are not for the faint-hearted. I think what became known as bungee jumping originated there. They weren`t too meticulous in measuring the length of the rope in the clip I saw. Some poor young bloke smacked his noggin into the ground. No H.I.A. either.

The West Papua Warriors RL team played at the London 9s one year, partly to raise their political profile. Doubt that they`ll have much impact. Not in anyone`s interest to rub the Indonesian government up the wrong way.

Pre-Covid the Aus/China jostling for influence on the Pacific Islands seemed to be helping NRL development efforts in Fiji. ScoMo as water-boy at the prime minister`s XIII game was a bit of theatre but the government has reportedly put some funding in too.

Archived