NRL players' choice of the best NRL players: amazing!

These are the NRL players assessments:

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/07/13/nrl-players-poll-part-1---best-player-positions-coach-captain-and-more/?utm_source=NRLEmail_PlayerPoll&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2020Premiership&utm_content=Article_1086035

I don't disagree with the assessments, but I am amazed to see that so many Sydney Roosters players were selected in top spot -- all the backs except half back, plus the best player overall (James Tedesco), best coach (Trent Robinson) and most damaging tackler (Victor Radley). Plus the Sydney Roosters was the team most players would like to sign for.

players-team_20200713.jpg?center=0.58%2C0.47&preset=photo-inline

I enjoy seeing which players are highest regarded by their peers but these types or polls always throw up some anomalies. 

For example Mitchell Moses is voted only the 4th best halfback but the 5th best player overall.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

47 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I’m sure Parramatta are doing quite well. And Gutherson isn’t one of the five best fullbacks ? 

I think that Clint Gutherson is a very good player. But  I would have to agree that he is not one of the top 5. The same applies to Charnze Nikoll- Klokstadt. My ranking is:

1. James Tedesco

2. Tom Trbojevic

3. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck-Sheck

4. Kalyn Ponga

5. Ryan Papenhuyzen.

My selection is close to the players ‘ judgements. However I am baffled as to why they didn’t rank Ryan Papenhuyzen fifth.

5 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

I think that Clint Gutherson is a very good player. But  I would have to agree that he is not one of the top 5. The same applies to Charnze Nikoll- Klokstadt. My ranking is:

1. James Tedesco

2. Tom Trbojevic

3. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck-Sheck

4. Kalyn Ponga

5. Ryan Papenhuyzen.

My selection is close to the players ‘ judgements. However I am baffled as to why they didn’t rank Ryan Papenhuyzen fifth.

It’s a loaded category , but I’d argue on this years form Gutherson is in the very top echelon of fullbacks 

To be honest these things read a little bit like a form guide.

Take John Bateman.  In May last year when the 2019 vote took place he was voted the 4th best second row after a couple of months in the NRL. 

Since then, he went from strength to strength, played in the Grand Final and was named the Dally M second row of the year for 2019 and yet this year he is not even mentioned.  He is injured, yes but this doesn't stop him being one of the best second row's in the comp.  Out of sight out of mind I guess.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

6 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

To be honest these things read a little bit like a form guide.

Take John Bateman.  In May last year when the 2019 vote took place he was voted the 4th best second row after a couple of months in the NRL. 

Since then, he went from strength to strength, played in the Grand Final and was named the Dally M second row of the year for 2019 and yet this year he is not even mentioned.  He is injured, yes but this doesn't stop him being one of the best second row's in the comp.  Out of sight out of mind I guess.

That’s how I’m reading it tbh . These things often work like that . Is it a snapshot or a general assessment .Either way they’re chip paper in a few days 

Interesting to view but my biggest takeaway from it is how fickle the players are as even missing the two weeks prior to polling has seen players drop away dramatically eg Moses.

Overall Penrith players have been very overrated imo such as Dylan Edwards top 5 Fullback wtf!

1. Moses so far down in the 7s list.

2. Tupou over Sivo and Addo-Carr 

3. Mitchell going from 80% last year to barely a mention this year:

4. No Taukeihao in the props list. I rate him the best in the world.

5. Harry Grant is playing well but 3rd on the list for winning the Dally M is off the charts and I think he is too high in the hooker list considering Reed Mahoney got no love.

6. Injured players dropping off the radar eg Bateman, David Fifita, Moses

I should have taken into account that, according to a poll I ran recently on this forum,  about which NRL club do you support, Parramatta came in a clear second behind Canberra. I suspect that this widespread Parramatta Eels club sympathy is generating among some forum members here what I consider to be an excessively high ranking of Clint Gutherson.

19 hours ago, arcticchris said:

Overall Penrith players have been very overrated imo such as Dylan Edwards top 5 Fullback wtf!

1. Moses so far down in the 7s list.

2. Tupou over Sivo and Addo-Carr 

3. Mitchell going from 80% last year to barely a mention this year:

4. No Taukeihao in the props list. I rate him the best in the world.

5. Harry Grant is playing well but 3rd on the list for winning the Dally M is off the charts and I think he is too high in the hooker list considering Reed Mahoney got no love.

6. Injured players dropping off the radar eg Bateman, David Fifita, Moses

My responses:

1 I agree. Moses should be higher.

2. Tupou is very good. Whether he is better than Sivo or Addo-Carr-Carr is debatable.

3. Mitchell is now playing full back not centre. He is being evaluated for his full back performances, which are not so impressive as his centre performances in the past..

4. I agree. Taukeiaho is the best prop in our solar system. However I cannot vouch for his ranking compared  to props in other solar systems.

5. You are wrong here. Harry Grant is the biggest thing since Harry Potter. Treat him with more respect.

6. Injured players are drooping off the radar. Not fair in the case of Lebanon superstar Mitchell Moses, I agree.

15 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

I should have taken into account that, according to a poll I ran recently on this forum,  about which NRL club do you support, Parramatta came in a clear second behind Canberra. I suspect that this widespread Parramatta Eels club sympathy is generating among some forum members here what I consider to be an excessively high ranking of Clint Gutherson.

Manfred I saw Gutherson do two things on the weekend which confirmed to me that he is a highly intelligent player. 1) the way he sheparded the ball over the dead ball line at a crucial point in the game, allowing Parra a seven tackle set instead of a dropout & 2) how he very cleverly confirmed the position of the penalty before he took that quick tap that led to Sivo`s try. Many players are called back because they take the tap on the wrong spot.

Archived