All hail Peter V'landy's

Despite his protestations that "  it`s all in good fun " i.e. his digs at the afl , " plenty of room for a second rate event in Sydney ".  V`Landy`s is extremely competitive, likes to win and importantly has a strategically ruthless  edge which League has been missing for a long time.

6 hours ago, The Future is League said:

I am sure some people will tell me that I am overreacting but I find it really annoying that the players are being asked to rate the performance of the referees.  That is not suitable given their relationship and the referees are there to provide authority and 'control' the players.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I know not everyone like it but the six again has been a game-changer in terms of the game flow and viewing spectacle for me personally. 

Just going back and watching games from before the lock down - its so much better to watch now. Quick play the balls were the exception, not the rule, prior to this change.

4 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Despite his protestations that "  it`s all in good fun " i.e. his digs at the afl , " plenty of room for a second rate event in Sydney ".  V`Landy`s is extremely competitive, likes to win and importantly has a strategically ruthless  edge which League has been missing for a long time.

Vicky kicky house and fumbleball fans have a real fear of him that's for sure

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

He's been a cracking find for the game in Oz so far. 

Perhaps the worrying thought is that other sports might have noticed.

And when they have a CEO vacancy!

But I agree that V'landys has been a strong positive for the NRL, not least in the way he defends it against attacks from its rivals.

For some reason we have never seen much of that before now.

2 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

But I agree that V'landys has been a strong positive for the NRL, not least in the way he defends it against attacks from its rivals.

You'd certainly think some other leagues, even the big US sports might have started to take notice. 

Hopefully the NRL maintains his style and stance. You also get the impression he doesn't take any rubbish from the clubs either.

1 minute ago, Number 16 said:

How much are you eating? 

Far more than I should!

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 hours ago, Martyn Sadler said:

Is he an out and out League guy? Would he be tempted by the first decent offer from say AFL or ARU, or would there need to be a lot of zero’s on the cheque, which would rule out all but the major US sports. I must admit it would be nice to have someone of his caliber heading things up in the RFL/SL, but I guess that’s not going to happen.

3 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

You'd certainly think some other leagues, even the big US sports might have started to take notice. 

Hopefully the NRL maintains his style and stance. You also get the impression he doesn't take any rubbish from the clubs either.

He doesn't take rubbish from anyone. He's ruthless when he has to be.

AFL has a huge fear of him in Australia, hence the constant attacks  on him by people involved in fumbleball.

5 hours ago, Oldbear said:

Is he an out and out League guy? Would he be tempted by the first decent offer from say AFL or ARU, or would there need to be a lot of zero’s on the cheque, which would rule out all but the major US sports. I must admit it would be nice to have someone of his caliber heading things up in the RFL/SL, but I guess that’s not going to happen.

Bear , haven't you heard this blokes story, raised in the `Gong (mining and steelworks heartland) son of  "***" parents, His words not mine, found acceptance at school playing League, dreamt of playing second row for Australia, went to university and worked at a local pub and the story goes that he bought it , somehow got involved with the Racing  Industry where  He rose to the top, If you knew anything about the N.S.W. Racing Industry it produces some of Australia`s most "colourful characters", try googling  `George Freeman Racing` , he was my fathers first cousin, and the thing that caps it off Peter V`landys favourite player is Rod `The Rocket` Reddy. I don`t think he will be going to any other codes in a hurry.

9 hours ago, lucky 7 said:

Vicky kicky house and fumbleball fans have a real fear of him that's for sure

8 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

He's been a cracking find for the game in Oz so far. 

8 hours ago, Martyn Sadler said:

4 hours ago, The Future is League said:

He doesn't take rubbish from anyone. He's ruthless when he has to be.

AFL has a huge fear of him in Australia, hence the constant attacks  on him by people involved in fumbleball.

3 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Bear , haven't you heard this blokes story, raised in the `Gong (mining and steelworks heartland) son of  "***" parents, His words not mine, found acceptance at school playing League, dreamt of playing second row for Australia, went to university and worked at a local pub and the story goes that he bought it , somehow got involved with the Racing  Industry where  He rose to the top, If you knew anything about the N.S.W. Racing Industry it produces some of Australia`s most "colourful characters", try googling  `George Freeman Racing` , he was my fathers first cousin, and the thing that caps it off Peter V`landys favourite player is Rod `The Rocket` Reddy. I don`t think he will be going to any other codes in a hurry.

6 hours ago, Oldbear said:

Further to Rocket's reply, this interview gives a bit more detail of his background. Went to school with Ian Millward no less, so his love of the odd four letter word should be no surprise.

https://greekherald.com.au/post/childhood-lessons-set-the-tone-for-peter-vlandys-career-trajectory/

33 minutes ago, M j M said:

Further to Rocket's reply, this interview gives a bit more detail of his background. Went to school with Ian Millward no less, so his love of the odd four letter word should be no surprise.

https://greekherald.com.au/post/childhood-lessons-set-the-tone-for-peter-vlandys-career-trajectory/

The V`landys story demonstrates the value to the game of people playing it at some level, for however long, in their younger days. That it can build a life-long emotional commitment. And what an enduring disadvantage we incur by being elbowed out by that other game in schools, colleges, and universities in so many parts of the world.

Imagine if the bloke throwing millions at WA Union had played League at college or wherever it was instead. Rather than flogging a dead horse he might now be preparing the ground for a viable Perth NRL franchise.

6 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

The V`landys story demonstrates the value to the game of people playing it at some level, for however long, in their younger days. That it can build a life-long emotional commitment. And what an enduring disadvantage we incur by being elbowed out by that other game in schools, colleges, and universities in so many parts of the world.

Imagine if the bloke throwing millions at WA Union had played League at college or wherever it was instead. Rather than flogging a dead horse he might now be preparing the ground for a viable Perth NRL franchise.

Yes I agree, V`landy`s plan of several more mini BankWest  Stadiums has a lot of merit as well.  That top quality fan experience can engender the same life long interest.

As regards on disadvantage in schools, I read that one of your clubs has a relationship with a school or college, I think it is Hull? Great initiative. Got me thinking recently about the Super League or NRL or their clubs offering  scholarships for qualified players to undertake Teaching Degrees,  what  we call P.E.(Physical Education ) or anything they want really. Having Rugby League loving teachers in schools is a great way to engage students, organise teams etc. We had a couple of RL loving Maths teachers at our school who were fantastic at arranging teams for the various State and regional wide competitions. A couple of the boys went onto NRL, one won a premiership with Canterbury in 1984 or 85. 

20 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I am sure some people will tell me that I am overreacting but I find it really annoying that the players are being asked to rate the performance of the referees.  That is not suitable given their relationship and the referees are there to provide authority and 'control' the players.

Fully agree, no way should this happen ever, it will just cause all kinds of problems.

So far, he has led the sport through COVID second to none and I haven’t seen or heard anything to expect his performance throughout the ongoing COVID period to be surpassed.

In saying that, he is very pig headed (which has served him well above), but, his tenure still has some controversy. The six again rule and bunker both need urgent attention that I don’t think the referee coaches are smart enough to fix themselves. His anti stance on expansion into “rusted on AFL states” looks more like him cutting off his nose to spite his face. There is only so much blood that can pump through one artery.

This position of his does have an upside that has seen him push the NSW Govt to get behind suburban stadium upgrades following the decision to scrap $1.3b redevelopment of ANZ. If the sport is to keep all the Sydney teams, then it needs to help foster suburban parochialism. Individual home grounds will go a long way to help that.

To date, he gets an 9/10 from me.

3 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

So far, he has led the sport through COVID second to none and I haven’t seen or heard anything to expect his performance throughout the ongoing COVID period to be surpassed.

In saying that, he is very pig headed (which has served him well above), but, his tenure still has some controversy. The six again rule and bunker both need urgent attention that I don’t think the referee coaches are smart enough to fix themselves. His anti stance on expansion into “rusted on AFL states” looks more like him cutting off his nose to spite his face. There is only so much blood that can pump through one artery.

This position of his does have an upside that has seen him push the NSW Govt to get behind suburban stadium upgrades following the decision to scrap $1.3b redevelopment of ANZ. If the sport is to keep all the Sydney teams, then it needs to help foster suburban parochialism. Individual home grounds will go a long way to help that.

To date, he gets an 9/10 from me.

I assume Leichhardt and Brookvale are the most likely to benefit from upgrades. Where else? Thought the Sharks were funding their upgrade themselves.

Noteworthy that Manly are less well-supported than when the Bears were in the top competition, which ought to be a warning against cutting Sydney teams.

On 15/07/2020 at 03:13, Oldbear said:

I will give you an insight into Peter V`landy`s mentality. As head of Racing N.S.W. he has introduced the Everest Cup. The Everest is not only Australias` richest race,  but the richest turf race in the world .  Six million dollar first prize for a  1 minute  10 second race. Peter V`landy`s thinks big. I think that he will ultimately have a plan that will harness the code on both sides of the equator. Some sort of super package that will market both Leagues (Super &N.R.L.), World Club Championships , World Cups and Internationals to prospective Broadcast Partners. If you blokes can get this Canada, France and U.S. thing working there could be a lot to work with.

1 hour ago, The Rocket said:

If you blokes can get this Canada, France and U.S. thing working there could be a lot to work with.

Yeah, that's a bit like Batman asking Inspector Clouseau to hold up his end of the crime fighting bargain.

Archived