Potential Players Strike

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/six-super-league-clubs-still-22343752.amp?__twitter_impression=true

With the start of SuperLeague due in just 19 days this doesn’t bode well!

6 clubs still not in agreement with players on reduced wages which means they haven’t yet started training.

Wakefield Trinity senior player calling for a players strike!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

If Wakefield go on strike can we just relegate them 

We?

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

Just now, Tommygilf said:

I remember them being rubbish and nearly getting relegated, but not actually throwing games over pay

No it wasn't that, the coach threw all the eggs into the basket of preparing for the first playing of the middle 8's, I seem to remember it was James Webster then Brian Smith took over, wasn't it reported that it was said "all that matters" or words of that ilk was survival in the SL, didn't they also change something like 10 of the team going into the finals series, which lead to tthe July transfer window.

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

No it wasn't that, the coach threw all the eggs into the basket of preparing for the first playing of the middle 8's, I seem to remember it was James Webster then Brian Smith took over, wasn't it reported that it was said "all that matters" or words of that ilk was survival in the SL, didn't they also change something like 10 of the team going into the finals series, which lead to tthe July transfer window.

So not throwing any games whatsoever, but playing the system cleverly to retain survival, then? 

Widnes tried this, too, I think. But got very, very different results. 

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

Oh yeah, I remember them saying the last few games of that regular season didn't matter and the 8s was the priority.

Not the same as this though really.

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Oh yeah, I remember them saying the last few games of that regular season didn't matter and the 8s was the priority.

What is not the same about not playing to win, if nothing else it is robbing the paying public beit on the ground or those who have subscribed via Sky.

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

What is not the same about not playing to win, if nothing else it is robbing the paying public beit on the ground or those who have subscribed via Sky.

Take it you think Saints should be stripped of the LLS and Grand Final for resting players vs London twice last year? 

4 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Because that was arguably a tactical choice based around prioritising certain games over others to ensure Super League survival. (You wouldn't be upset because Leigh were the main losers out of that tactical decision would you?)

A strike in this current scenario - either official or throwing games - would be with the intention of the opposite.

30 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Because that was arguably a tactical choice based around prioritising certain games over others to ensure Super League survival. (You wouldn't be upset because Leigh were the main losers out of that tactical decision would you?)

A strike in this current scenario - either official or throwing games - would be with the intention of the opposite.

Are you being serious Tommy, I thought you would have given me a little more creedence than that statement, I will defend the club or anyone conected to it if I think it warrents that, but something as that suggestion never.

PS, Leigh only won one game from 7 in those 8's, Wakeys decision was not a telling factor.

6 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Are you being serious Tommy, I thought you would have given me a little more creedence than that statement, I will defend the club or anyone conected to it if I think it warrents that, but something as that suggestion never.

PS, Leigh only won one game from 7 in those 8's, Wakeys decision was not a telling factor.

I'm only poking fun H. 

I still think it's a different scenario though. The players throwing games now would be sending a clear message to the board whereas the example you cited was a tactical decision.

29 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Stop being childish Hela.

It’s the same thing. We prioritised a cup quarter final and semi-final over two away games against London. It’s exactly the same thing, a case of prioritisation but seeing as it never directly influenced Leigh, you’re not bothered. 

3 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

The criticism came about because they had only played something like 3 games when he said it IIRC. As Harry Stottle said they then replaced a lot of the squad bringing in almost a full team just ahead of the qualifiers. Even so they still only stayed up by winning the MPG.

20 minutes ago, wiganermike said:

The criticism came about because they had only played something like 3 games when he said it IIRC. As Harry Stottle said they then replaced a lot of the squad bringing in almost a full team just ahead of the qualifiers. Even so they still only stayed up by winning the MPG.

Thats all well and good - it was a realistic assessment of their situation -, but still not relevant to the players going on strike and throwing games now

Archived