Tesco alternative

Pretty much same gazza.

On Friday I go to donny market for my big shop. Fruit veg meat fish butter eggs cheese bread... jams and confectionery treats for the memsahib.... oils spices herbs and charcuterie treats for me and a Wilkinson's pie .. the fish market is sublime.

Tescos is laundry, cleaning stuff, household sheeite,  newspapers milk, whisky.....  food items are restricted to tinned stuff, cooking oils milk flour and stuff not necessarily available at the market .... oh aye... and doggy stuff. One of the things that hacked me off with tescos was how it appears to have run down a bit over the last year. There just isn't the depth of lines it used to have anymore.

My supermarket shop is about 70-80/week. I'll double that at donny market.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Pretty much same gazza.

On Friday I go to donny market for my big shop. Fruit veg meat fish butter eggs cheese bread... jams and confectionery treats for the memsahib.... oils spices herbs and charcuterie treats for me and a Wilkinson's pie .. the fish market is sublime.

Tescos is laundry, cleaning stuff, household sheeite,  newspapers milk, whisky.....  food items are restricted to tinned stuff, cooking oils milk flour and stuff not necessarily available at the market .... oh aye... and doggy stuff. One of the things that hacked me off with tescos was how it appears to have run down a bit over the last year. There just isn't the depth of lines it used to have anymore.

My supermarket shop is about 70-80/week. I'll double that at donny market.

We mix and match across Hebden and Tod markets. Supermarkets is pretty much all online, why waste a couple of hours and a fiver on fuel when you can have it delivered to your door for less. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

2 minutes ago, gazza77 said:

We mix and match across Hebden and Tod markets. Supermarkets is pretty much all online, why waste a couple of hours and a fiver on fuel when you can have it delivered to your door for less. 

To be honest wath tesco is 5 mins away.... but you do make a good point.

Morros online may be an option

1 minute ago, Robin Evans said:

It's the time saving benefit to me as much as anything. As the Mrs doesn't drive but wouldn't let me loose to shop on my own, it's a two person job. God knows how I coped for 9 years on my own mind you. 🙄😂😂😂

Please view my photos.

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

6 minutes ago, gazza77 said:

When it comes to fresh produce, better to pick over what's there in person for the best condition and/or latest expiry date. Delivery services often serve up clearance stock.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

When it comes to fresh produce, better to pick over what's there in person for the best condition and/or latest expiry date. Delivery services often serve up clearance stock.

Possibly true. Doesn't impact us though, as we don't tend to buy fresh produce at supermarkets anyway. 

Edit: meat & fish tends to be frozen by us anyway, so short dates aren't a issue in that regard either. 

Please view my photos.

Book now via airbnb

22 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

There may be a tendency to do that, but our experience with ASDA has been that if something is delivered close to its use by date, you can ask for and get a refund. 

The 16 kg bag of Nelstrops flower we ordered from a food services company had a far distant sell by date. 

I think most shops are limiting the stock at present. I have a lidl really close to the house, the fruit and veg isn't bad, some of it is really nice, but also lots of poor  choice and standard. For me it's all about the wide aisles and how they crowd control

18 minutes ago, Red Willow said:

I think most shops are limiting the stock at present. I have a lidl really close to the house, the fruit and veg isn't bad, some of it is really nice, but also lots of poor  choice and standard. For me it's all about the wide aisles and how they crowd control

Tesco were doing this way way before lockdown

On 15/07/2020 at 20:56, Robin Evans said:

I dumped Morros deliveries during lockdown. Less than 50% of the order fulfilled on several occasions. Just as bad in store. Asda came to the rescue - and their local click and collect has been exceptional.

1 hour ago, Northern Eel said:

I dumped Morros deliveries during lockdown. Less than 50% of the order fulfilled on several occasions. Just as bad in store. Asda came to the rescue - and their local click and collect has been exceptional.

Yeah, the problem with online is you get a lot of stuff close to sell by date or they substitute stuff you don't want.

Nothing worse than getting a week's shopping in and finding that you need to eat it all by tomorrow.🙄

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

46 minutes ago, Griff said:

Yeah, the problem with online is you get a lot of stuff close to sell by date or they substitute stuff you don't want.

Nothing worse than getting a week's shopping in and finding that you need to eat it all by tomorrow.🙄

Complain then. ASDA will (and have done, too, in our experience ) refund you if they deliver anything very close to the use by date. There is a facility to do this on their website. 

In addition, you can tag items "no substitute" 

3 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Complain then. ASDA will (and have done, too, in our experience ) refund you if they deliver anything very close to the use by date. There is a facility to do this on their website. 

In addition, you can tag items "no substitute" 

Yes, that's what I need to do.  Waste my time queueing on the phone to complain.  Do without the stuff I ordered until they get round to delivering the stuff I asked for.  Store the stuff I didn't want in the first place until they collect it.

Or - I could just go and choose the stuff myself.

Option 2 seems easier.

On 15/07/2020 at 18:53, Dave T said:

Im biased as I work for the Tesco Group and I get discount so I think that sways me but I think it is the best standard supermarket around. I just don't find them very inspiring, same things Weeke in week out, few new ranges and few real luxuries. 

I go to Tesco 80% of the time and then top up with some treats and stuff at Lidl and Morris ons, sometimes Asda for a change. 

A few years ago, Tesco had some pretty average processes and foods. Some basic errors on even their premium own brand stuff, such as the glue holding on film lids was rubbish. They’ve put a lot of effort in and easily rank above Sainsbury’s in quality these days for me, despite being a bit cheaper. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Griff, there is absolutely no need to phone. It's happened on a couple of occasions and it's resolved on line more or less straight away on line and you get to keep the short-dated item, they don't come and collect it,. You get the refund.straight away,  too. Don't know about the other supermarkets, but ASDA pick from the shelves, in our  case Grimsby, so if they can't deliver it, you won't be able to go to the supermarket and get the item off the shelf either.

Your post reads as if you've not tried it recently.

On 18/07/2020 at 11:11, Griff said:

Yes, that's what I need to do.  Waste my time queueing on the phone to complain.  Do without the stuff I ordered until they get round to delivering the stuff I asked for.  Store the stuff I didn't want in the first place until they collect it.

Or - I could just go and choose the stuff myself.

Option 2 seems easier.

The problem for us wasn't shelf life, but the fact that they could not even provide substitutes. I had a £90 shop and ended up paying £25 for one particular delivery. Totally defeated the object - and it kept happening, so that was that.

On 18/07/2020 at 10:19, Griff said:

Never had that problem with our orders from Tesco, Sainsbury or Ocado. 

Please view my photos.

Book now via airbnb

On 18/07/2020 at 12:52, JohnM said:

Griff, there is absolutely no need to phone. It's happened on a couple of occasions and it's resolved on line more or less straight away on line and you get to keep the short-dated item, they don't come and collect it,. You get the refund.straight away,  too. Don't know about the other supermarkets, but ASDA pick from the shelves, in our  case Grimsby, so if they can't deliver it, you won't be able to go to the supermarket and get the item off the shelf either.

Yeah, but if they haven't got summat I want - unexpectedly, like - I can modify my order on site by looking at the shelves to see what they do have.

4 minutes ago, Griff said:

Yeah, but if they haven't got summat I want - unexpectedly, like - I can modify my order on site by looking at the shelves to see what they do have.

It's a free world and your choice, your decision. 

12 hours ago, JohnM said:

But you might still be wrong... 😊😊😊😊

There's always a first time.

Actually, that's not true.   I can't see there being a first time for me playing stand-off for Australia.😂

Archived