L'Equipe to broadcast Catalan Dragons games

https://treizemondial.fr/le-choc-entre-les-dragons-catalans-et-st-helens-diffuse-sur-la-chaine-lequipe/

According to this article L'Equipe are likely to broadcast Catalan Dragons return game against Saints on August 1st. 

Just to give a bit of background detail, Catalan prior to the start of the season had been looking for a new broadcast partner and was about to sign an exclusive deal with L'Equipe but the broadcaster pulled out at the last moment. 

Now with the Covid situation, the union season and soccer season finishing, as well as Euro 2020 and the Olympics being postponed, French broadcasters are short on live sports content. 

I'm sure this would've been a driver for L'Equipe coming back to the table. L'Equipe have a very large broadcasting audience so Catalan need to maximise this opportunity. Something else to consider, if a deal is on the table then surely this would scupper SL Clubs intention to prevent home games in front of crowds in France coz L'Equipe will want to broadcast live games in front of a local French crowd. 

Another thing to consider (playing devils advocate here), if Toronto cannot contest the remainder of the season then I would suggest Toulouse replace them so that RL can provide weekly live content to the broadcaster with a view to a financially beneficial tv deal. 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm interested to see the details overall of the fixture list and potential tv coverage when SL resumes. Obviously with the Premier League football we saw a huge increase in games covered, it'd be great if we also saw that in RL. 

19 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I'm interested to see the details overall of the fixture list and potential tv coverage when SL resumes. Obviously with the Premier League football we saw a huge increase in games covered, it'd be great if we also saw that in RL. 

Surely they’ve looked at that and seen it’s been successful and want to do something similar. Come August, the football season will be all but over (I think maybe the European competitions might be left), so there’s a void of UK sporting action there, why can’t we fill that void?

6 hours ago, Dave T said:

Here you go: https://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/news/12204/12029511/super-league-21-games-in-29-days-in-august-as-fixtures-for-rest-of-2020-regular-season-are-revealed

The gist: Super League returns to action with 21 games in 29 days next month – and Sky Sports will be broadcasting all of them live.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

15 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Given that this year is unusual by any standards, and if broadcasters are looking for content, why not add Toulouse even if Toronto can play. I wouldn`t say no to some Toulouse Olympique razzle-dazzle.

I’d put Workington in as well. 

They only have rights to the petanque and cycling, they even act out the commentary of ligue 1 games in front of a crowd cut out! 

Bernard as said that he went back to them and ask them to test the water and promised them big viewing figures, if they do the équipe tv  may pay the filming costs of home games 

Fingers crossed 

2 hours ago, barnyia said:

They only have rights to the petanque and cycling, they even act out the commentary of ligue 1 games in front of a crowd cut out! 

Bernard as said that he went back to them and ask them to test the water and promised them big viewing figures, if they do the équipe tv  may pay the filming costs of home games 

Fingers crossed 

Good news. Wasn't there talk at the outset of the 2020 season that Sky would cover half a dozen games from Perpignan? If so may be L Equipe will extend their coverage further. Are they reluctant to cover the costs of transmission at the moment.

Gilles Dumas to do the commentary. Him of that famous half back pairing of the 1990s Tricolours alongside Patrick Entat. He did a good job earlier for the Kiwis series coverage.Good slot may be August Tour de France right at the end of the month I think and Top14/Pro 2 union not starting till September.

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

2 hours ago, Yakstorm said:

https://treizemondial.fr/la-chaine-lequipe-et-les-dragons-catalans-cest-signe/

Word is that L'Equipe will broadcast at least the first two Catalan matches in August with Gilles Dumas to commentate.

Is there any way of seeing these broadcasts in the UK?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 hours ago, barnyia said:

Fingers crossed 

Are they not paying anything for the rights then?

31 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Is there any way of seeing these broadcasts in the UK?

Sky Sports Johnny.

Even when / if Catalans return to play at Stade Gilbert Brutus and a French broadcaster provides production, Sky have the rights to that SL production for UK broadcast as per when BeIN were involved at Stade Gilbert Brutus. 

47 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Are they not paying anything for the rights then?

Bein never paid for the rights, it cost the catalans for bein to film the games 

I think you can watch on l'équipe TV on the net unless it's crypted outside of France 

4 minutes ago, barnyia said:

Bein never paid for the rights, it cost the catalans for bein to film the games 

I think you can watch on l'équipe TV on the net unless it's crypted outside of France 

I recall reports about the failed negotiations earlier in the year stating that BeIN paid 70,000 € per year for those rights.

Archived