RFL Annual Report 2019

Worth a look: http://secure.rugby-league.com/ign_docs/Annual Report 2019 FINAL.pdf

TV stats that leaped out at me is the peak viewing figure for the Super League Grand Final was 672,600 on Sky Sports while the peak for the Challenge Cup Final on BBC1 was 1,037,300 (doesn’t give the average but was surely below 1m), which was outperformed by the peak for Bradford v Leeds R6 tie (1,173,400).

115 OuRLeague streams got 209,069 total views (1,818 average).

Meanwhile the RFL made a profit of £75k (2018: loss £327k) on turnover of £22.876m. Operating loss of £221k.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Those figures for the two biggest games of the season are absolutely woeful!

Not for the Grand Final on a subscription channel - it was the highest ever recorded for the GF- but a sixth round cup tie outdrawing the cup final is a bit disappointing.

10 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Worth a look: http://secure.rugby-league.com/ign_docs/Annual Report 2019 FINAL.pdf

TV stats that leaped out at me is the peak viewing figure for the Super League Grand Final was 672,600 on Sky Sports while the peak for the Challenge Cup Final on BBC1 was 1,037,300 (doesn’t give the average but was surely below 1m), which was outperformed by the peak for Bradford v Leeds R6 tie (1,173,400).

115 OuRLeague streams got 209,069 total views (1,818 average).

Meanwhile the RFL made a profit of £75k (2018: loss £327k) on turnover of £22.876m. Operating loss of £221k.

If I were Elstone I'd be pushing for the SL grand final to be simulcast on FTA - preferably BBC rather than Sky Sports Mix.

Cup final is slightly disappointing but I suppose it is being moved to address this (it was supposed to be July this year then June/May next iirc).

Whilst that Grand Final figure was great, my concern is that there was nothing done to drive it. I suspect it was due to scheduling lining up nicely with little competition whereas in other years we have even clashed with international football. 

We saw a 3% rise throughout the year, the Grand Final viewership was great, but very unlikely to be the same again next year. 

So, what do we make of the community participation numbers?

Overall the report states that 109,501 people regularly played Rugby League in 2019 (up from 102,304 in 2018; so +7%)

Women's participation increased by 59% from 7,714 to 12,236 and under 7's to under 11's increased by 2% from 13,057 to 13,374.

Of course the report will always showcase the positive and so if we exclude the women's and under 11's numbers from the total then the 'rest' is 81,533 in 2018 up to 83,891 in 2019.  This is a growth of 3%.

Any growth is good in these times when team sports participation is struggling but as this number covers the key junior game members from 12+ and the community men's game more growth would be very welcome.  It also doesn't break out any seniors/masters or wheelchair stats in the overall number.

Overall though, there is a trend in the right direction and critically it is above the Sport England target (important for funding) and it shows the absolute value of growing the girls and women's game to the sport and we should really push to get this number as high as possible.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

7 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Not for the Grand Final on a subscription channel - it was the highest ever recorded for the GF- but a sixth round cup tie outdrawing the cup final is a bit disappointing.

From a population of 65m those are terrible figures

3 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

From the reality of rugby league's place in this country, they could be better but they're roughly what would be expected.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Overall the report states that 109,501 people regularly played Rugby League in 2019 (up from 102,304 in 2018; so +7%)

Women's participation increased by 59% from 7,714 to 12,236 and under 7's to under 11's increased by 2% from 13,057 to 13,374.

Of course the report will always showcase the positive and so if we exclude the women's and under 11's numbers from the total then the 'rest' is 81,533 in 2018 up to 83,891 in 2019.  This is a growth of 3%.

Any growth is good in these times when team sports participation is struggling but as this number covers the key junior game members from 12+ and the community men's game more growth would be very welcome.  It also doesn't break out any seniors/masters or wheelchair stats in the overall number.

Overall though, there is a trend in the right direction and critically it is above the Sport England target (important for funding) and it shows the absolute value of growing the girls and women's game to the sport and we should really push to get this number as high as possible.

It's really positive to see numbers participating going up not least because it feels (and it is only 'feels' as I don't have the data) that in terms of clubs and geographical footprint we're contracting, so it's important that there is growth in the numbers involved regardless. The women's game increase is positive in its own right and will surely continue to go up in big rates over the next few years.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

22 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Even Soccer rarely gets over 3 million on Sky. Pre Covid the fifth highest ever Soccer viewing figure was 3.28 million. The highest ever figure is 4.04 million. There is no way the Grand Final figure is terrible.

55 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The women's game increase is positive in its own right and will surely continue to go up in big rates over the next few years.

Women`s involvement in what is considered to be traditional mens sport  is starting  to be shown as a driver of larger Club Memberships and fan engagement with Men`s teams. Makes sense.

Should be a sign for Clubs to give greater exposure to their Women`s Teams through their Men`s Teams.

5 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I’d like to see how they’ve counted the participation figure?

In previous years a player can be counted more than once in the figure, for example: If Billy plays for school +1, if Billy plays for his local amateur team +1 and if Billy plays touch Rugby with his dad +1 Therefore Billy = 3 participants

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

I think the Challenge Cup Final figure is poor, agreed 

Don't forget the Challenge Cup Final was on one of the hottest days of the year.   I'm not sure how many neutrals or non-RL fans we lost due to a fantastic bank holiday weekend forecast.   It's not appealing to sit inside in those conditions.

It was also made much worse by the fact that everybody, especially the media, had decided it was going to be a non-contest and the biggest one-sided scoreline in cup final history.   It wasn't a pretty game, and some may have decided to switch off after 10 minutes, but they missed what was an enthralling contest until the last few minutes.

If it had been two full-strength squads expected to entertain in a close encounter on a 'normal' weather day, the figures may have been a little higher. Who knows?

24 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

I’d like to see how they’ve counted the participation figure?

In previous years a player can be counted more than once in the figure, for example: If Billy plays for school +1, if Billy plays for his local amateur team +1 and if Billy plays touch Rugby with his dad +1 Therefore Billy = 3 participants

I am not sure whether we could see that amount of detail, it is not in the report.  I am also not sure if any sport could actually reconcile that type of data - knowing that the same individual played for multiple teams.

Anyway, from the report, here is the a couple of key phrases.

This number is for people playing 'regular' Rugby League so it must be club affiliated.

They also state that growth has been achieved in Primary, Junior, Youth and Open Age participation which is encouraging.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

8 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

Don't forget the Challenge Cup Final was on one of the hottest days of the year.   I'm not sure how many neutrals or non-RL fans we lost due to a fantastic bank holiday weekend forecast.   It's not appealing to sit inside in those conditions.

It was also made much worse by the fact that everybody, especially the media, had decided it was going to be a non-contest and the biggest one-sided scoreline in cup final history.   It wasn't a pretty game, and some may have decided to switch off after 10 minutes, but they missed what was an enthralling contest until the last few minutes.

If it had been two full-strength squads expected to entertain in a close encounter on a 'normal' weather day, the figures may have been a little higher. Who knows?

Don’t take it personally because Warrington were playing!

Let’s call a spade a spade. The ratings were poor and beaten by a round of 16 tie.

Do the OurLeague streaming figures also include those who watched those matches on Twitch instead?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

If I were Elstone I'd be pushing for the SL grand final to be simulcast on FTA - preferably BBC rather than Sky Sports Mix.

Cup final is slightly disappointing but I suppose it is being moved to address this (it was supposed to be July this year then June/May next iirc).

cant see sky giving up the final, fter showing games all season

Poor slant on the fact that the many ethnic groups have almost nil participation both playing and supporting. Several clubs surrounded by ethnic communities  but have shocking gate receipts.

51 minutes ago, kev p said:

cant see sky giving up the final, fter showing games all season

I don't see that argument tbf. The Final should be the showcase Sky can use to advertise the best of the content. People don't subscribe just for the final but for the 8 or so months of the regular season

4 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Not really, it's a well known fact that the RL GF is the only none Soccer programme that breaks into the top 20 or 30 most viewed Sky sports programmes of any year - baring a Cricket WC final or key Ashes test or the Ryder Cup.

The GF has always been and continues to get great figures for Sky.

The CC final always has the problem of being in the middle of the day on a Saturday in the middle of summer - as the Leeds V Bradford game proves. Soccer even moved its FA cup final to later in the day for that very reason.

2 hours ago, saddleworth said:

Poor slant on the fact that the many ethnic groups have almost nil participation both playing and supporting. Several clubs surrounded by ethnic communities  but have shocking gate receipts.

Not having that statement at all.

Out of all UK based sports RL has always been the most inclusive and active sport in communities and ethnic groups as you put it.

You cant make people play or attend games if they prefer Cricket or Football but the game is there and waiting to accept anyone who wants to take in or up the GG.

1 minute ago, Mr Frisky said:

Not having that statement at all.

Out of all UK based sports RL has always been the most inclusive and active sport in communities and ethnic groups as you put it.

You cant make people play or attend games if they prefer Cricket or Football but the game is there and waiting to accept anyone who wants to take in or up the GG.

That's a pretty bold statement and I really don't know how valid it is or how you even quantify that.

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

I don't see that argument tbf. The Final should be the showcase Sky can use to advertise the best of the content. People don't subscribe just for the final but for the 8 or so months of the regular season

Exactly, coupled with the fact they could advertise Sky Sports and NowTV on the pitchside LED reaching free to air audiences, a no brainer, you'd think. 

44 minutes ago, Damien said:

That's a pretty bold statement and I really don't know how valid it is or how you even quantify that.

Not really lad if you have a basic understanding of British RL...... The community game includes everyone of colour creed or hairstyle as far as I can see - take it the community games you go to dont??

At other end we had the first black captain of England in a major team sport, also the first black national team coach, the game has always had a large Pacific island influx in the UK in both the professional and amateur game ( or do they not count??).

Players like Ikram Butt played for England at a time when even Asian players were struggling to get into the England Cricket team - which now seems crazy given the current make up of the England Cricket squads.

As I said all basic stuff for any RL fan.

Archived