WE'RE REALLY BACK

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Complete madness to expect players to perform to this schedule 

Is the spacing of games all that different from any other season? 

They seem to jam in games in short periods of times even when they have a full season. They used to do it regularly around the Easter weekend.

29 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Whilst I’m delighted we’re getting closer to a return and I can watch Saints and Super League again, I do also agree with what you say. 

We don’t have the squad sizes and player availability of the NRL squads and there are some squads feeling the effects of their return. 

Just now, Hela Wigmen said:

Whilst I’m delighted we’re getting closer to a return and I can watch Saints and Super League again, I do also agree with what you say. 

We don’t have the squad sizes and player availability of the NRL squads and there are some squads feeling the effects of their return. 

On reflection, this is the part I hadn't really thought about in my post above. Squad sizes are smaller like you say.

34 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

The late season schedule is not ideal I agree but little about this season is. Hopefully it won't result in a lot of injuries but unfortunately it is just a case of everyone concerned just having to get on with it for this year.

Fitting in enough games before contracts end means that some midweek ties are needed and with some clubs needing to fit in catch-up fixtures there won't be much leeway in the earlier stages for midweek games. On the fatigue issue at least it is the case that all clubs will be going through the same type of schedule so it doesn't give some an advantage/disadvantage.

There is no way Toronto can manage this schedule with their squad size , not going to happen , playing at ' neutral ' 😂 venues means there is no need to complete a full home and away schedule , the only issue is providing SKY with enough TV games , that could have been done with a 10/11 round of games 

This will most probably ruin any chance of us challenging for the WC next year , plain stupidity 

11 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

There is no way Toronto can manage this schedule with their squad size , not going to happen , playing at ' neutral ' 😂 venues means there is no need to complete a full home and away schedule , the only issue is providing SKY with enough TV games , that could have been done with a 10/11 round of games 

This will most probably ruin any chance of us challenging for the WC next year , plain stupidity 

I think the reason they've kept a full schedule is because they're clinging to the hope that later in the run they'll get some fans back. 

Great for us - wall to wall rugby - but terrible for the players and, as you say, there will inevitably be a knock on effect on England. 

And I noticed some gaps in the dates, which I presume is for Challenge Cup, so in fact it's going to be an even more intense schedule.

Something will have to give. I expect it will be the players' bodies, and the quality standard of games. Expect a lot of academy players to be chucked in. 

I understand this is desperate times for the sport, but this just seems to go too far. No wonder the players are kicking off. 

11 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

How will Wakefield manage the schedule with their players on strike? 

First of all, good news that we have a schedule and great to have the games televised.

I know why they are doing this, but isn't having more than half the games on the same pitch at least as likely to cause injuries as the frequency of games? Heavy rain before or during (not exactly impossible in Leeds) could be pretty disastrous for the pitch.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

12 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

First of all, good news that we have a schedule and great to have the games televised.

I know why they are doing this, but isn't having more than half the games on the same pitch at least as likely to cause injuries as the frequency of games? Heavy rain before or during (not exactly impossible in Leeds) could be pretty disastrous for the pitch.

Not that likely in Leeds compared to on the rainy side of the Pennines but anyway most modern pitches, particularly in summer, should be fine for that kind of use, especially having just had three+ months with no wear and tear and plenty of time for pitch renovation.

13 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

There will be some sore bodies with not enough recovery time. More injuries too as a result. Still, Sky wants sport, RL in the UK getting unprecedented coverage as a result is one upside. Whoever pays the piper....

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

5 minutes ago, M j M said:

Not that likely in Leeds compared to on the rainy side of the Pennines but anyway most modern pitches, particularly in summer, should be fine for that kind of use, especially having just had three+ months with no wear and tear and plenty of time for pitch renovation.

We cannot be so sure given the weather in the UK and just as likely in Leeds as anywhere else.  However, I imagine this has been discussed with reference as to procedures used for Magic and the Bash.

40 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

I think the reason they've kept a full schedule is because they're clinging to the hope that later in the run they'll get some fans back. 

Great for us - wall to wall rugby - but terrible for the players and, as you say, there will inevitably be a knock on effect on England. 

And I noticed some gaps in the dates, which I presume is for Challenge Cup, so in fact it's going to be an even more intense schedule.

Something will have to give. I expect it will be the players' bodies, and the quality standard of games. Expect a lot of academy players to be chucked in. 

I understand this is desperate times for the sport, but this just seems to go too far. No wonder the players are kicking off. 

Problem with the Challenge Cup of course is we haven't got confirmation of that restarting, I'm guessing cos 5 of the teams left in are lower division teams who haven't sorted whether they're even playing again this year. If we can't get fans into the Cup final it might be an idea to scrap it and have those gaps to help players recover, of course we won't know whether fans can get into the cup final until much later on, probably after the cups either restarted or not again. Lower division teams arent gonna want to be lumbered with the costs of hosting cup games if the stadiums gonna be empty either. 

1 hour ago, M j M said:

Fair enough, Leeds have good groundstaff who have put that pitch back together many times. I am sure it will be fine in weekend 1, just not sure how much repair work will be needed afterwards and how long it will take to settle again.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

The cup needs to be scrapped this, the schedule is already full to the brim 

I'd be OK with that, but as with fulfilling the Sky contract, the RFL have a contractual agreement with both Sky and more importantly the BBC to show the games. And I think it would be a blow if we lost our terrestrial coverage this year, especially ahead of the World Cup. It'll have to go ahead, and the players will bear the burden. 

As for the competition itself, I may be imagining this, but wasn't there some talk of them redrawing the last 16 to take account of the Championship and L1 sides withdrawing, if they don't resume their season? 

The first slot is August 22nd though, so they need to hurry up and decide. 

Of course the two best and most naturally resilient pitches we have in SL are probably Castleford (but too small) and Wakefield, but you wouldnt use those as showpiece grounds. Unless someone has an enormous tarpaulon to cover the stands with..?

3 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

I'd be OK with that, but as with fulfilling the Sky contract, the RFL have a contractual agreement with both Sky and more importantly the BBC to show the games. And I think it would be a blow if we lost our terrestrial coverage this year, especially ahead of the World Cup. It'll have to go ahead, and the players will bear the burden. 

As for the competition itself, I may be imagining this, but wasn't there some talk of them redrawing the last 16 to take account of the Championship and L1 sides withdrawing, if they don't resume their season? 

The first slot is August 22nd though, so they need to hurry up and decide. 

I'd thought about this but I can't see how redrawing it would work. There are 5 lower league teams left so that would leave 11 if they pulled out. At first I'd thought, could 3 SL teams voluntarily pull out but then I thought about the contract with BBC and also with that schedule I think more than 3 would want to pull out. Surely the easiest thing to do if the lower league teams don't resume is just to give the 5 opponents walkovers into the next round. There would still be 3 games left and the BBC show 2 per round so that would fulfill the contractual obligation to them.

1 hour ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Problem with the Challenge Cup of course is we haven't got confirmation of that restarting, I'm guessing cos 5 of the teams left in are lower division teams who haven't sorted whether they're even playing again this year. If we can't get fans into the Cup final it might be an idea to scrap it and have those gaps to help players recover, of course we won't know whether fans can get into the cup final until much later on, probably after the cups either restarted or not again. Lower division teams arent gonna want to be lumbered with the costs of hosting cup games if the stadiums gonna be empty either. 

Just got an email from the RFL, Challenge cup final is on 17th Oct with Wembley provisionally booked while they wait to find out if fans can attend. This is one year when I'd definitely had the final in the north

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

Archived