Sat 18 Jul: NRL: Manly Sea Eagles v Parramatta Eels KO 10.35am BST (Sky Sports)

Who will win?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Manly Sea Eagles
    • Parramatta Eels

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/07/20 at 10:00

Looking forward to this one. Sea Eagles were totally robbed last time out with the forward pass call on the hooter. Would love to see the victim of that call (Reuben Garrick) get a late winner to set the record straight.

Have a sneaky feeling for Sea Eagles actually. Eels are a class act and the better side with both at full strength but maybe a bit of extra desire after that robbery will edge it for the Sea Eagles. I'll go them by 2 with a late Garrick winner. 🙂

A really disappointing game. I was looking forward to this. Parramatta were so poor. Their spine all had shockers - Mahoney, Brown and Gutherson had off days and Field was annonymous. Manly didn't do anything special but DCE led them well to victory

First off night for Parra , they just didn’t show up until the second half .  I’ll give them a pass though , they’ve been consistently good , but they’ll need a reaction from that. 

The Waqa Blake try, like the Benji one the night before, would 9 times out of 10 be called a strip throughout all levels of the game without video backup. When pure guesswork is applied players benefit from loose carries.

Further proof that the bald statement of a rule is not sufficient. There should always be an addendum saying how the rule should be applied, where the benefit of the doubt should go.

Set out the ball-stealing rule along with - benefit of the doubt to the defending team.

Set out the forward pass rule along with - benefit of the doubt to the attacking team.

Etc.

5 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

The Waqa Blake try, like the Benji one the night before, would 9 times out of 10 be called a strip throughout all levels of the game without video backup. When pure guesswork is applied players benefit from loose carries.

Further proof that the bald statement of a rule is not sufficient. There should always be an addendum saying how the rule should be applied, where the benefit of the doubt should go.

Set out the ball-stealing rule along with - benefit of the doubt to the defending team.

Set out the forward pass rule along with - benefit of the doubt to the attacking team.

Etc.

Benefit of doubt is already used once a try is scored. It goes with the refs on field decision. 

I thought that call was correct , he was looking for an off load and it wasn’t a clear strip given the refs call , and I’ve always thought the default position with 50/50s , doubt or unclear situations should be lost ball . For to long it’s been ball comes out , I’m not sure I’ll give a penalty . Unless it’s a clear deliberate reef then it’s lost, hard luck . We’ve took way to much responsibility off ballcarriers . 

1 hour ago, unapologetic pedant said:

And that`s the advantage when there is a video ref.

The post was about how the rulebook should be implemented in games "without video back-up", "throughout all levels of the game".

Ok fair enough. I think the majority of occasions they favour the attacking team but not sure if that is official policy or just what tends to happen. 

Scrappy game but well deserved by the Sea Eagles, despite completely running out of gas in the last 20 mins. The centre Parker was impressive I thought. That's the first I've seen of him.

Did anyone else think that the last gasp Eels try had the potential to be an 8 pointer? I think it was the fullback Elliot who made the desperate saving tackle and there was a large element of knees to it. He got to quite close quarters so they connected more with the lower back than the sternum (as with the horrible ones where the fullback flashes across the in-goal area at pace) but even so I thought it was well worth a review on that basis and was surprised the Eels didn't make that point at the time.

Everyone always forgets the 8 point try don't they? There's always that sense of "8 points up and little time left so it's in the bag" but it only needs one of those aberrations from your fullback and it could be game on.

Archived