Will we start?? If not what's plan B?

coolie

With talks of a possible September restart, but then news of area's seeing surges in covid19 in area's like Leicester, Bradford, Blackburn, Luton, Rochdale, Kirklees (and we all know why) 

What if we can't restart.. What happens then?? 

Will supporters stump up for another season ticket, pay again for players sponsorship with the high risk that at anytime the plug can be and could be pulled, will our older supporters (and we have a few🤣) feel safe enough to return, we are at a point of uncertainty that's never been reached before so giving positives about the situation is like painting a donkey like race horse and expecting it to run like one.. Nobody knows how it will run.. But you know it ain't gonna win any races. 

Expect the worst.. And everything else is a bonus.. If we get any rugby at all. 

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, coolie said:

With talks of a possible September restart, but then news of area's seeing surges in covid19 in area's like Leicester, Bradford, Blackburn, Luton, Rochdale, Kirklees (and we all know why) 

What if we can't restart.. What happens then?? 

Will supporters stump up for another season ticket, pay again for players sponsorship with the high risk that at anytime the plug can be and could be pulled, will our older supporters (and we have a few🤣) feel safe enough to return, we are at a point of uncertainty that's never been reached before so giving positives about the situation is like painting a donkey like race horse and expecting it to run like one.. Nobody knows how it will run.. But you know it ain't gonna win any races. 

Expect the worst.. And everything else is a bonus.. If we get any rugby at all. 

Well.  October now looking like earliest possible start but who knows?   The championship clubs can’t seem to agree on anything.  
If we don’t get any games the season ticket issue will be massive.  I quite like what the Rhinos have done.  They have given  3 options;

i.  pro rata refund for those games unable to attend due to C19,

ii. donate this refund back to Rhinos 😂or

iii.  pledge to buy season ticket for next 3 years and the “refund” deducted from season ticket costs over the 3 years with prices fixed.    

The latter sounds like a good option.  The club don’t have to give any money back and get a guaranteed three years of season ticket sales while fans sort of get their money back.  I would certainly go for that if Rams were to offer same.  

1 hour ago, NickD said:

Well.  October now looking like earliest possible start but who knows?   The championship clubs can’t seem to agree on anything.  
If we don’t get any games the season ticket issue will be massive.  I quite like what the Rhinos have done.  They have given  3 options;

i.  pro rata refund for those games unable to attend due to C19,

ii. donate this refund back to Rhinos 😂or

iii.  pledge to buy season ticket for next 3 years and the “refund” deducted from season ticket costs over the 3 years with prices fixed.    

The latter sounds like a good option.  The club don’t have to give any money back and get a guaranteed three years of season ticket sales while fans sort of get their money back.  I would certainly go for that if Rams were to offer same.  

I would have liked to see an option on season tickets where the pro rata discount was offered.. Bearing in mind we've only had 2 games for the £180 stumped up for the season ticket, if you worked on £15 a game(and with a season ticket it's a lot less) that's £30,so that's £150.. Some fans can afford to write it off, even the club offering a £100 discount on next seasons tickets wouldn't have been too bad to insure fans bought one again next season they still would have made £50 per season ticket which for the fan is a more acceptable write off, others with redundancy,factories closing, economic hardship is around the corner for everybody.. And just wait till brexit lands in the new year will have to closely watch finance's and expendable money might just not be there, the club is a business... But it's also family to us all, and I wouldn't want to see any fans not been able to go because they can't afford it, in times when the country is on its a.r.s.e and the people struggling and at their lowest, the loss of this family institution for us all could be denied just when we need it the most.. Forget what we had before covd19 because that is gone.. The new normal is going to be a lot harder for us all.. And far different that simply turn up on a Sunday, buy a pint, stand with your mates and watch a game.. We all have to adapt from the bottom to the top.. 

Only in dewsbury...man up and buy another for next season and put it down to nobodys fault,aint club/players suffered enough hardship.:kolobok_training1:

to be fair its the first have seen anywere about wanting discounts for 2021.

51 minutes ago, silverback said:

Only in dewsbury...man up and buy another for next season and put it down to nobodys fault,aint club/players suffered enough hardship.:kolobok_training1:

to be fair its the first have seen anywere about wanting discounts for 2021.

Im not bothered about a refund of my £360 if Mark comes along and tells us it will kill the club, but I do like the Rhinos idea in that it goes towards guaranteeing that speccies buy a season ticket for the next three years and means the club doesn't pay a penny back in the short term.

Clubs have spent up this season and need fresh revenue to restart next season, but I feel for season ticket holders who buy them as a cheaper way of following their team. They are going to be loath to do so again if there is no compensation or offer carried into next. A possible outcome is these fans may not come to as many pay on the day games and ultimately the club could suffer in the long run!

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

31 minutes ago, Piggy's mate said:

Clubs have spent up this season and need fresh revenue to restart next season, but I feel for season ticket holders who buy them as a cheaper way of following their team. They are going to be loath to do so again if there is no compensation or offer carried into next. A possible outcome is these fans may not come to as many pay on the day games and ultimately the club could suffer in the long run!

Exactly!! 

Simply to have 2 options is ridiculous 

Option 1 write it off and call it a donation. 

Option 2 ask for a refund

Nobody wants to ask for their money if its gonna hurt and damage the club. 

But another option of some kind of discount for next season (and to be honest we don't even know what kind of next season it's going to be).

Relying on "pay on the day" supporters leaves you wide open.. Because poor form, bad weather, other stuff to do, family events, holidays will all impact your finances.. A massive gamble for any club, for me keeping folk happy who buy season tickets I would have thought who be a priority and not simply served up at the all you can eat buffet either... Beans on toast or nowt. 

1 hour ago, Piggy's mate said:

As already stated I will not chase a refund from the Rams, but unless there is are incentives in future years I have bought my last season ticket for anything...I think we've discussed this on an earlier thread and as I mentioned then I have bought two for Dewsbury and one for YCCC and this pandemic has already shown the financial folly of my actions...If the incentives aren't there going forward I don't think I'll be the only one...

9 hours ago, coolie said:

I hope you have shared your knowledge with Boris, he needs all the help he can get

hawk-eye.gif

33 minutes ago, hawk-eye said:

I hope you have shared your knowledge with Boris, he needs all the help he can get

Glad to see the Sheffield forum alive and kicking mate.. It's been a while do you still hear owt from james(eso) and is his dad still involved?? 

Isn't this a storm in a tea cup?

All ST holders were contacted by the club a couple of weeks ago asking them what their opinion was regarding their ST's and what they think the club should do. We were all then able to respond individually and privately and the club is able to respond to each individual according to that response.

Comparing us with Leeds is a nonsense - thay have 10k+ ST holders whilst we have a few hundred. Much better to compare us with other Championship clubs of a similar size, like Batley, to ensure that we are being treated fairly and equitably.

Committing to a ST for the next three years could be tempting fate as well, given the age profile of our supporters and the possibility of another Covid wave.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

38 minutes ago, coolie said:

Glad to see the Sheffield forum alive and kicking mate.. It's been a while do you still hear owt from james(eso) and is his dad still involved?? 

Still waiting for your insight into the current problem, please share!

hawk-eye.gif

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

All ST holders were contacted by the club a couple of weeks ago asking them what there opinion was regarding their ST's and what they think the club should do. We were all then able to respond individually and privately and the club is able to respond to each individual according to that response.

Comparing us with Leeds is a nonsense - thay have 10k+ ST holders whilst we have a few hundred. Much better to compare us with other Championship clubs of a similar size, like Batley, to ensure that we are being treated fairly and equitably.

Committing to a ST for the next three years could be tempting fate as well, given the age profile of our supporters and the possibility of another Covid wave.

I'd didn't realise I was comparing to Leeds BSJ, just thought that there's was a good idea...It would be nice to "compare" with Batley but suspect that this will take some time as the Championship clubs haven't a clue whats gunna happen as yet.  Hopefully you will be right and it won't matter at Dewsbury as we will all be offered personalised refund schemes ...🤪  

You certainly have a point about a three year package tempting fate but personally I won't be committing to season tickets again without stronger incentives than the usual ...

12 hours ago, NickD said:

I'd didn't realise I was comparing to Leeds BSJ, just thought that there's was a good idea...It would be nice to "compare" with Batley but suspect that this will take some time as the Championship clubs haven't a clue whats gunna happen as yet.  Hopefully you will be right and it won't matter at Dewsbury as we will all be offered personalised refund schemes ...🤪  

You certainly have a point about a three year package tempting fate but personally I won't be committing to season tickets again without stronger incentives than the usual ...

Well, not wishing to string this out Nick, but the comparisons are unfair. We have 2 staff, both currently furloughed; SL clubs have marketing departments with the scale to develop and hone such plans. I don't know what the club will do but you were contacted, I trust, and you did give them your personal opinion. I would hope that, when they are able to get people back in the offices, you will get a more personalised response, if required.

As you rightly say the Championship clubs don't know what is going to happen as yet. Given this fact I do wonder at the purpose of raising this issue in this way; is it simply mischief-making or has it some other purpose? We all want to see some RL when it is safe to do so; we all want our club to survive (thrive is a long-term aspiration); we all (I hope) are prepared to do what little we can to enable this.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

Well, not wishing to string this out Nick, but the comparisons are unfair. We have 2 staff, both currently furloughed; SL clubs have marketing departments with the scale to develop and hone such plans. I don't know what the club will do but you were contacted, I trust, and you did give them your personal opinion. I would hope that, when they are able to get people back in the offices, you will get a more personalised response, if required.

As you rightly say the Championship clubs don't know what is going to happen as yet. Given this fact I do wonder at the purpose of raising this issue in this way; is it simply mischief-making or has it some other purpose? We all want to see some RL when it is safe to do so; we all want our club to survive (thrive is a long-term aspiration); we all (I hope) are prepared to do what little we can to enable this.

Your right BSJ.  Let’s not string it out.  I thought that Leeds had come up with a good idea that might, if needed,  help the club.  You think I’m working for the Kremlin.  Let’s move on.  

3 hours ago, NickD said:

Your right BSJ.  Let’s not string it out.  I thought that Leeds had come up with a good idea that might, if needed,  help the club.  You think I’m working for the Kremlin.  Let’s move on.  

No, I didn't mean you Nickski.

4 hours ago, NickD said:

Time of the month nick

He'll be fine next week and gets out in the fresh air😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜

19 hours ago, coolie said:

Time of the month nick

He'll be fine next week and gets out in the fresh air😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜

OK then Coolie. Please explain why you brought this topic up, given that the club has contacted all ST holders to ascertain their views. Is it helping the club in any way?

Would be interesting to know as to whether we are better off financially writing the season off and starting again in 2021 or attempting to continue playing?

With the club affectively in hibernation since the lockdown and all the staff on furlough. A restarted but shortened season re-starting from October (when furlough ends) through to Dec would presumably be preferable??

With the majority of contract payments and wages paid by the government and a shortened season would this result in a positive financial outcome for the club this year?

rambo.gif

7 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

OK then Coolie. Please explain why you brought this topic up, given that the club has contacted all ST holders to ascertain their views. Is it helping the club in any way?

I'll tell you why I brought it up

To get people to engage on this dying forum you've to bring contentious topics to the table, people just swipe past "another best player" thread, folk want meat on the bones.. Something to get their teeth into.. The subject of season tickets is not as simple as "Black or white" I presume we can still say black can't we?? 

Refund or donation is not good enough, there's a possibility that we won't restart.. Then what?? 

The offer on season ticket has written into the equation that we play possibly 5 more home games, and a 7 game return for, £180 quid still ain't a good return, NickD bought 2..im sure he'll be happy about a massive loss. Try thinking beyond yourself and think about the everyday supporter who is going to struggle to follow their team, this isn't just about Dewsbury, this is about every team in the championship and their fan base.. Big picture. 

5 hours ago, Rambo said:

Would be interesting to know as to whether we are better off financially writing the season off and starting again in 2021 or attempting to continue playing?

With the club affectively in hibernation since the lockdown and all the staff on furlough. A restarted but shortened season re-starting from October (when furlough ends) through to Dec would presumably be preferable??

With the majority of contract payments and wages paid by the government and a shortened season would this result in a positive financial outcome for the club this year?

And as BSJ as pointed out if the season carries on players will be out of contract

It could end up in a mess for everybody

On 17/07/2020 at 19:31, Blind side johnny said:

All ST holders were contacted by the club a couple of weeks ago asking them what their opinion was regarding their ST's and what they think the club should do. We were all then able to respond individually and privately and the club is able to respond to each individual according to that response.

Wrong- i didn't.

1 hour ago, coolie said:

I'll tell you why I brought it up

To get people to engage on this dying forum you've to bring contentious topics to the table, people just swipe past "another best player" thread, folk want meat on the bones.. Something to get their teeth into.. The subject of season tickets is not as simple as "Black or white" I presume we can still say black can't we?? 

Refund or donation is not good enough, there's a possibility that we won't restart.. Then what?? 

The offer on season ticket has written into the equation that we play possibly 5 more home games, and a 7 game return for, £180 quid still ain't a good return, NickD bought 2..im sure he'll be happy about a massive loss. Try thinking beyond yourself and think about the everyday supporter who is going to struggle to follow their team, this isn't just about Dewsbury, this is about every team in the championship and their fan base.. Big picture. 

If it isn't just about Dewsbury then post it on the general topics forum. If it is about Dewsbury specifically the see my earlier comments. I don't expect anyone who couldn't afford or would prefer it it not to get a refund, and I am sure that those running the club feel the same. I believe that is the reason that ST holders (except Silcoates it seems) were contacted, as mentioned in another, earlier thread, to ask them how they feel about the value for money and what they would like the club to do.

Please explain why the option of a refund or donation isn't good enough. Your logic clearly exceeds mine.

14 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

If it isn't just about Dewsbury then post it on the general topics forum. If it is about Dewsbury specifically the see my earlier comments. I don't expect anyone who couldn't afford or would prefer it it not to get a refund, and I am sure that those running the club feel the same. I believe that is the reason that ST holders (except Silcoates it seems) were contacted, as mentioned in another, earlier thread, to ask them how they feel about the value for money and what they would like the club to do.

Please explain why the option of a refund or donation isn't good enough. Your logic clearly exceeds mine.

A refund

Hurts the club

A donation 

Hurts the fan

Not one fan including me self doesn't want to hurt the club, last thing anybody wants to do, we support the club financially, spending money over the bar, buying merchandise, squad builder, buying season tickets, that's why there there should have been a third option where fans donated a percentage and the club gave a discount against a season ticket next season, we've had 2 games that's all, even if the discount had been 50% of the season ticket price, the club would have ended up with £70 for nothing which isnt a bad return over 300+ season ticket holders, 

Plus giving a credit ensures people will buy another season ticket also giving them the piece of mind "well if covis19 starts again and rugby is cancelled I won't be out of pocket supporting the club in advance and buying a season ticket" 

These are unpresidented times where the rule book gets ripped up, the clubs had it hard, the fans have had it hard, the game has had it hard.. We've all had it hard together. 

Yes I know any refunds hurts our funding next year, and no one wants to hurt the club so let's get that straight from the beginning. 

I just think "give a little bit, take a little bit" would have been a better option to encourage season ticket sales for the future. 

And if you still think I'm talking b.o.l.l.o.c.k.s after this post

I'll shut up and comment no further on this subject. 

Archived