Will we start?? If not what's plan B?

coolie

On 04/08/2020 at 08:15, Crown Flatter said:

I was all for this competition with sixteen teams battling for some prize money (and spectators able to watch), but now, with the lack of meaningful competition and probably no audience, I think the competition should be scrapped and, like Cookie, think the money should be distributed to the clubs. 

I don’t disagree with you, but what makes you think that there will be any money if there is no competition?

Personally I can see SL wanting you keep the money for themselves, given that the money was earmarked for the team to be relegated. They then put this money up as sweetener for the clubs that wanted to keep the championship and P&R, which has now gone. So if there is no autumn competition I can see SL turning round and saying we’ll just keep the money for ourselves then. 

I'm sure I'll think of something funny to say soon.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, The Grinder said:

I don’t disagree with you, but what makes you think that there will be any money if there is no competition?

Personally I can see SL wanting you keep the money for themselves, given that the money was earmarked for the team to be relegated. They then put this money up as sweetener for the clubs that wanted to keep the championship and P&R, which has now gone. So if there is no autumn competition I can see SL turning round and saying we’ll just keep the money for ourselves then. 

I see your logic. The payment, much more than £250K by the way, was agreed as a compromise for no club being promoted and none relegated: it is almost equivalent to what SL would have given as a parachute payment to the relegated club. As far as I know it wasn't conditional on a competition being played but this was an attempt by the RFL to provide something meaningful in the absence of the leagues. What the RFL will do with the money if no competition goes ahead is anyone's guess.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

I understand that the club will be contacting all ST holders next week with three options:

1. Donate the outstanding amount to the club.

2. Accept a 50% discount on a ST of the same type for 2021

3. Accept a pro-rata refund

If the proposed competition goes ahead, which won't be known until the following week, then those taking options 1 or 2 will be able to use their ST for entry to these games.

As I say, this is my understanding but the club will properly clarify the details in due course.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

I see your logic. The payment, much more than £250K by the way, was agreed as a compromise for no club being promoted and none relegated: it is almost equivalent to waht SL would have given as a parachute ayment to the relegated club. As far as I know it wasn't conditional on a competition being played but this was an attempt by the RFL to provide something meaningful in the absence of the leagues. What the RFL will do with the money if no competition goes ahead is anyone's guess.

BSJ,

Thanks for the information, sad to see that the RFL not passing on all the money given that it is not money that they would have expected to receive.

I'm sure I'll think of something funny to say soon.

I see the mighty Dogs should have been playing the bleating Sheep today at your gaff. At least with the cancellation of the season, it has saved you another whooping at home

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

13 hours ago, Piggy's mate said:

I see the mighty Dogs should have been playing the bleating Sheep today at your gaff. At least with the cancellation of the season, it has saved you another whooping at home

You enjoy ya holiday on Bywell fields 

😜😜😜😜😜

Word on the streets is that both Batley and Dewsbury have applied to join the 125 competition. Given that Leigh and Bradford have also applied, Barrow have said that they would and Fev are still thinking about it there might be six teams in all. Would it be allowed to proceed on this basis and, if so, would it be worthwhile?

4 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Word on the streets is that both Batley and Dewsbury have applied to join the 125 competition. Given that Leigh and Bradford have also applied, Barrow have said that they would and Fev are still thinking about it there might be six teams in all. Would it be allowed to proceed on this basis and, if so, would it be worthwhile?

Not viable

Or winnable with the current 

Runners and riders. 

2 minutes ago, coolie said:

Not viable

Or winnable with the current 

Runners and riders. 

The other question is: would you attend?

42 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

You bet I would.  Far less risk than:

supermarket

pub

hairdressers

shops

Public transport

And many more you could add.....

6 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Well, as ever, you are on the money BSJ...https://www.dewsburyrams.co.uk/2020/08/10/rams-enter-autumn-cup/

Great news.  Ill just cross my fingers everything gets sorted and we can at last see some rugby in 2020..

On 10/08/2020 at 15:26, Blind side johnny said:

More the question

Would you attend? 

I'd be there been young, fit & good looking 

But on the other hand your in the

"at risk" bracket 😜😜😜😜😜😜😜

21 minutes ago, coolie said:

More the question

Would you attend? 

What happens if you aren't young and fit but you still qualify in the good looking category? Will the virus know? Just asking for a friend😃😃😃 .

38 minutes ago, J Phil Loxton said:

What happens if you aren't young and fit but you still qualify in the good looking category? Will the virus know? Just asking for a friend😃😃😃 .

It knows mate🤔🤔🤔🤔

Apparently it can work out what color you are too according to the BBC & local ethnic groups🤔🤔

Clever stuff that covid19 

😜😜😜😜😜

14 minutes ago, coolie said:

It knows mate🤔🤔🤔🤔

Apparently it can work out what color you are too according to the BBC & local ethnic groups🤔🤔

Clever stuff that covid19 

😜😜😜😜😜

I knew that it knows if more than six are in your garden. But it doesn't know if twenty people are at a wedding. It can't get you in a supermarket. It doesn't spread easily outside....only at rugby games. BUT if it can't infect good looking people then some clubs will have an added advantage when Boris gives the nod😃😃😃😃😃

17 hours ago, coolie said:

More the question

Would you attend? 

You will be surprised to know that I am not, so would attend. You have the advantage over me, of course, of not needing to make sure that other people socially distance from you - they always did.

😘

1 hour ago, J Phil Loxton said:

Wow! Good guess. We were thinking if you were allowed in grounds on the basis of good looks then Fev would retain most of its fan base😊😊😊 However me and Robin are tall enough to look over the fence🤩🤩🤩

Don't think covid19 goes near "ginners"

Like most of us if we had a choice 🤣🤣

• 2 weeks later...

Announced by KN on the Batley forum that the 125 competition may go ahead after all with just five clubs participating. It seems that confirmation is simply required from Barrow before it can progress.

If it does happen then games will be played in November with tow home games each followed by a play-off. More details might emerge next week.

Wasting your time BSJ the half dozen Dewsbury fans are back under their rocks hibernating until next March

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

7 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Announced by KN on the Batley forum that the 125 competition may go ahead after all with just five clubs participating. It seems that confirmation is simply required from Barrow before it can progress.

If it does happen then games will be played in November with tow home games each followed by a play-off. More details might emerge next week.

Shame...5 teams, play each other home and away across October / November would have been preferable (from a purely selfish point of view!).

Archived