Fulham

8 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

Orient? When was that? I don't remember them playing there. Fulham, Brentford, Charlton and Barnet are the soccer grounds I remember. Apart from Crystal Palace, chiswick, the stoop, 

Didn't they play Bradford there some years ago?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Oldbear said:

Didn’t Roy also have to cobble together a team after the Paul Faires takeover fiasco? I remember stories of players jumping into a workman’s van and travelling north to away games in the Chiswick days, was Roy the coach or had he moved on and Bill Goodwin taken over, its so long ago I can’t really remember now.

Roy left after the rather odd game at Huddersfield where apparently the players played for free (er, maybe). Bill Goodwin was in charge after that. Don't know about workmans' vans, the players used to go up on the coach with the supporters - might be the Huddersfield game when we were still based at Golborne.

8 hours ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Roy left after the rather odd game at Huddersfield where apparently the players played for free (er, maybe). Bill Goodwin was in charge after that. Don't know about workmans' vans, the players used to go up on the coach with the supporters - might be the Huddersfield game when we were still based at Golborne.

Thanks for correcting my memory, think it was Frank Feighan who mentioned workman’s vans.

Because we have a Fulham thread I would like to give thanks to those amazing fans who worked their asses off to make Chiswick Polytechnic Stadium fit to hold a game (Chronicler I think you were one), I lived in Essex from 1982-86 so followed the team though a lot of dark days, my trip to Chiswick, via a mixture of walking, rail, tube and bus took 2 hours each way so I could never commit to help so I’m so thankful to those that did, having said that I did only miss 2 home games during that time.

7 hours ago, Oldbear said:

Because we have a Fulham thread I would like to give thanks to those amazing fans who worked their asses off to make Chiswick Polytechnic Stadium fit to hold a game (Chronicler I think you were one), I lived in Essex from 1982-86 so followed the team though a lot of dark days, my trip to Chiswick, via a mixture of walking, rail, tube and bus took 2 hours each way so I could never commit to help so I’m so thankful to those that did, having said that I did only miss 2 home games during that time.

It was people like you that gave us the heart to keep going even when things were at their grimmest.

17 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

Where?

Thinking about it that huge standing terrace as been replaced by a seated covered stand behind the goals as you enter the ground. 

On 18/07/2020 at 16:48, ATLANTISMAN said:

Was also there Ernie Clay creamed over 8000 off the gate (Announced as over 15000) was actually an incredible 23000 + the terracing was heaving:)

Paul

I think 15k about right.I was on the open terracing at the river end and while well filled there was plenty of room.

As others said a real shame it didn't work as an ideal ground with Fulham soccer fans genuinely enthusiastic.

Co-incided with me starting work in London and brightened up many a dull winter Sunday afternoon.

The game against the 1982 Kangaroos was another standout day.Horrible rainy Sunday afternoon but a big crowd including many of my southern RU oriented friends who these days are regulars at Harlequins.

On 18/07/2020 at 16:21, fighting irish said:

Did anyone notice the Welsh winger scoring the two tries that sunk the mighty Wigan?

Wigan were far from mighty then.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

• 7 months later...
On 18/07/2020 at 19:00, Futtocks said:

Here's an article on Adrian and his son Ben, from a couple of years ago: https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/gifted-son-wales-rugby-league-14961511 

At the end of the article, there are some other "where are they now?" articles linked, including David Bishop.

He's doing fine guys 

He actually never told me about his history I've had to find out my self 

🙈🙈

On 18/07/2020 at 17:37, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Yep, Adrian Cambriani - when I last heard (albeit many years ago) he was back in South Wales working for Astra Zeneca and playing RU in the second team of one of the Pontys - can't remember which. Be in his late fifties now, how time flies!

Hi Do you have any game footage by any chance or know where I can get them from please

On 18/07/2020 at 17:37, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Yep, Adrian Cambriani - when I last heard (albeit many years ago) he was back in South Wales working for Astra Zeneca and playing RU in the second team of one of the Pontys - can't remember which. Be in his late fifties now, how time flies!

Hi do you know I can get in footage from please

4 hours ago, Stefan cambriani said:

Hi Do you have any game footage by any chance or know where I can get them from please

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived