SQUAD 2021

marklaspalmas

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

Updated.

Squad of 25 now, all told.

10 players from last season still unaccounted for.

My guess (and it's just a guess) is that most if not all of those from 22 to 26, who were signed partly as a result of the hybrid reserves team with Leeds, won't be with us any more.

Presumably one or two of the signings this week will be candidates for loan spells with League 1 clubs.

It's a bit of an odd situation this year, we are way more advanced in terms of our 2021 squad than we had been at this stage in previous years with so many players signed on 2-year contracts but presumably that means that much of our budget for 2021 is tied up in our existing players.

Thus it means that whilst others are making eyecatching signings we probably won't be quite so busy, as we already had high-profile signings such as Chisholm/Hall/Minns/Parata/Ferres/Day/Blackmore/Parata etc signed up, along with the old faithful like Lockwood/Cooper/Hardcastle. Nu Brown has been added though and maybe 1 or 2 more high-profile signings to come.

It's a bit unfortunate for us in that as SL teams are tightening belts a fair number of quality players are coming on the market after we have assembled our squad, but that can't be helped.

Should be a cracking 2021 season if the virus doesn't get in the way.

13 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

My guess (and it's just a guess) is that most if not all of those from 22 to 26, who were signed partly as a result of the hybrid reserves team with Leeds, won't be with us any more.

Presumably one or two of the signings this week will be candidates for loan spells with League 1 clubs.

It's a bit of an odd situation this year, we are way more advanced in terms of our 2021 squad than we had been at this stage in previous years with so many players signed on 2-year contracts but presumably that means that much of our budget for 2021 is tied up in our existing players.

Thus it means that whilst others are making eyecatching signings we probably won't be quite so busy, as we already had high-profile signings such as Chisholm/Hall/Minns/Parata/Ferres/Day/Blackmore/Parata etc signed up, along with the old faithful like Lockwood/Cooper/Hardcastle. Nu Brown has been added though and maybe 1 or 2 more high-profile signings to come.

It's a bit unfortunate for us in that as SL teams are tightening belts a fair number of quality players are coming on the market after we have assembled our squad, but that can't be helped.

Should be a cracking 2021 season if the virus doesn't get in the way.

True leigh have just signed blake wallace and jamie ellis and  we'ave signed a bunch of unproven young players  but that seems to be  FEV's  new policy

" players fitting  into the recruitment requirement of being hungry to progress their  careers

further”

and

"James’ plans to bring players to the club whose careers are on the up.”

17 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

I wonder if that's it now and Kris Welham, Welly Alby, Susino, etc are off the cards.

It depends if their  careers are on the up.🤣

as for susino is he still in aus   and what happened to

Our recruitment 𝗱𝗼𝗲𝘀𝗻'𝘁 end here though, stay tuned...

6 minutes ago, POR said:

It depends if their  careers are on the up.🤣

as for susino is he still in aus   and what happened to

Our recruitment 𝗱𝗼𝗲𝘀𝗻'𝘁 end here though, stay tuned...

Missed that bit! 😄

We normally run with about 25 players, 5 or 6 of them younger/developing players so I thought that might be it.

1 hour ago, POR said:

True leigh have just signed blake wallace and jamie ellis and  we'ave signed a bunch of unproven young players  but that seems to be  FEV's  new policy

" players fitting  into the recruitment requirement of being hungry to progress their  careers

further”

and

"James’ plans to bring players to the club whose careers are on the up.”

Yeah but the point I'm making is we are bound to be making fewer big-name signings as the vast majority of last year's squad are already under contract for next season.

1 minute ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Yeah but the point I'm making is we are bound to be making fewer big-name signings as the vast majority of last year's squad are already under contract for next season.

Have to agree with this. Just looking at all the players in the second year of their contracts, there's a damned good run-on XIII right there. It doesn't generate headlines like a new signing, but this is a solid Top4 squad.

So long as we actually get playing* it'll be us, the Broncos, TO and Dessie's barmy army for a SL spot in 2022.

** Looks like the 1895 Cup may morph into a Northern Rail style comp with zonal groups giving 4/6 fixtures before the league kicks off. Boxing Day and New Year's Day fixtures back on the cards?

46 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Agreed and the club needs to be applauded and with the addition of brown we have  one of if not the strongest squad in the league but I think we need another experienced prop to come in especially with fergies injury track record

oh and what's happened to render

1 hour ago, POR said:

Agreed and the club needs to be applauded and with the addition of brown we have  one of if not the strongest squad in the league but I think we need another experienced prop to come in especially with fergies injury track record

oh and what's happened to render

Agree we are at least 1 prop short if Susino isn't coming back. Plus a second hooker.

There hasn't been any announcement about Render that I've seen but it must have been very tough for the club to assess his health in recent months.

The other unknown factor at the moment is whether DR continues and if so whether Leeds are likely to run with a large enough squad to be able to contribute much. Either way, our squad is already bigger than in many recent seasons, and with more to add.

3 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Agree we are at least 1 prop short if Susino isn't coming back. Plus a second hooker.

There hasn't been any announcement about Render that I've seen but it must have been very tough for the club to assess his health in recent months.

The other unknown factor at the moment is whether DR continues and if so whether Leeds are likely to run with a large enough squad to be able to contribute much. Either way, our squad is already bigger than in many recent seasons, and with more to add.

Big props are always useful. If Albert is not coming, Fergie may not do the full season and no Holroyd on DR then we're short, aren't we?

Hooker I assume Bussey and Parata with Sweeting as back-up

1 hour ago, marklaspalmas said:

Big props are always useful. If Albert is not coming, Fergie may not do the full season and no Holroyd on DR then we're short, aren't we?

brown has played hooker   but would rather him at seven with bussey 2nd hooker

2 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

Bussey has filled in admirably at hooker but I'd rather see him at first/second receiver where his versatility comes into play, and as you note we are currently short on props. It's still very early days though.

There was talk in League Express a while ago that we were trying to tempt Matty Wildie back. Leigh still haven't announced him so we'll just have to wait and see on that one.

It will be interesting to see where Sweeting fits in with the addition of Harvey Spence, Sweeting did ok last year in limited game time.

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Bussey has filled in admirably at hooker but I'd rather see him at first/second receiver where his versatility comes into play, and as you note we are currently short on props. It's still very early days though.

There was talk in League Express a while ago that we were trying to tempt Matty Wildie back. Leigh still haven't announced him so we'll just have to wait and see on that one.

It will be interesting to see where Sweeting fits in with the addition of Harvey Spence, Sweeting did ok last year in limited game time.

I think sweeting is first off the rank after chizzy and nu 

OR

Can we train him up to be 2nd hooker?

20 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

Smaller, more mobile props might be more effective with the new rule changes, ie the extra set and the scrapping of scrums during the time of covid? Bussey could be a key figure in this role?

Also, we look to have signed a plethora of back rowers, could this be anything to do with the rule changes, and is Webster looking to move some of them into the middle?

27 minutes ago, Steve Slater said:

Smaller, more mobile props might be more effective with the new rule changes, ie the extra set and the scrapping of scrums during the time of covid? Bussey could be a key figure in this role?

Also, we look to have signed a plethora of back rowers, could this be anything to do with the rule changes, and is Webster looking to move some of them into the middle?

Yes, mobility will be a factor if the new rules are permanent.

I see Bussey at 9 purely and simply as that is where Webster has played him.

20 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Yes, mobility will be a factor if the new rules are permanent.

I see Bussey at 9 purely and simply as that is where Webster has played him.

I hope not. Jack is a very good player who covers lots of positions but from what I have seen hooker is where he is least effective.

54 minutes ago, Steve Slater said:

These are good points, although I'd also say that the new rules heavily favour the team that wins the collisions - there's no respite for the opposition.

Susino would have been great under the new rules, but Lockwood can seemingly play in the middle for most of the game without his performance dropping.

8 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

For me it's more that Webster has played Bussey at 9 because his only recognised hooker (Parata) was injured.

Parata was only injured for one match IIRC. The first two games we went with JB starting and Parata off the bench.

As I said, Im not disagreeing with the views on here, but how the coach sees it may be different, especially if we don't sign another 9.

Archived