SQUAD 2021

marklaspalmas

1 hour ago, marklaspalmas said:

Parata was only injured for one match IIRC. The first two games we went with JB starting and Parata off the bench.

As I said, Im not disagreeing with the views on here, but how the coach sees it may be different, especially if we don't sign another 9.

Yes that's true. I thought at the time the reason might have been to bring Parata on after about 25 mins and avoid using 2 interchanges. One thing about Bussey, he's not unfit for someone who's a bit "chunky" - he has played some big minutes for us this season, especially at London.

Last season I think we were hanging on and hoping that Cam King might come back until late in the day. Would be good to get a 2nd recognised hooker this year.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Yes that's true. I thought at the time the reason might have been to bring Parata on after about 25 mins and avoid using 2 interchanges. One thing about Bussey, he's not unfit for someone who's a bit "chunky" - he has played some big minutes for us this season, especially at London.

Last season I think we were hanging on and hoping that Cam King might come back until late in the day. Would be good to get a 2nd recognised hooker this year.

Wildie?

So, looking at the 25 players we've signed, excluding DR and further arrivals, we could line up something like this:

Back 5

Craig Hall Ben Blackmore Josh Hardcastle Thomas Minns Gareth Gale

also: Liam Whitton Jason Doyle

Halves & AHB 4

Dane Chisholm Fa’Amanu Brown Dean Parata Jack Bussey

also: Jake Sweeting Harvey Spence

Middles and Edges 8

James Harrison Brett Ferres Brad Day James Lockwood John Davies Luke Cooper Dale Ferguson Frankie Halton

also: Jimmy Beckett Callum Field Louie McConnell Joe Summers

13 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Announced today he had signed again for Leigh. Shame, but we move on.

Ah well.

I think, of all the names bandied about only Kris Welham remains at large and I guess there will be no news on him until Salford's season is over.

Connor Jones and Jackie O also play for Salford.  #justsaying

5 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

Connor Jones and Jackie O also play for Salford.  #justsaying

Jones was one of the players in the "out of contract for 2021" list widely circulated in the media earlier this season. Salford recently signed Andy Ackers from Toronto (until the end of the season), not sure what's happening him or with their other hooker Joey Lussick for next year. There was some banter between Jones, Cam King and Luke Cooper on Twitter the other day but good luck trying to read too much into that.

Feel a bit sorry for Ormondroyd, he's a really solid Championship player but SL clubs have always been intrigued by his size and speed and this is the second time he's been a fringe player at a SL club and this time he's had even less of a chance than at Leeds (pretty sure he hasn't played for Salford yet). He wasn't on the out-of-contract list but I suppose might be available on loan.

Webster again saying in League Express/TotalRL our recruitment is nearly complete.

“There is not much more to do for us now,” said Webster.
“Maybe there is just one or two more to add, but we’re more or less there now and I’m pretty sure we’re reasonably close to what we’ll have at the start of 2021.
“A lot of players were here on two-year deals, so we already had a lot more signed on for 2021 than a lot of other clubs.
“I am really happy with how the squad is looking. We’re looking younger and hungrier for next year and I always believe you’ve got to have people who want to prove a point and make it in whatever field they’re in. We’re in a highly competitive field, so we were keen to have a look at any young and hungry players.
“We’ve done some good business, so we now just have to wait and see how they all go.”

On 15/09/2020 at 20:12, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

I'd have Jones back in a flash. As I've said before, I believe it was because of him we made last year's GF.

A happy evening in the Les Tonks Sidestep household this evening.

An added bonus to his return is that this should free up Bussey to resume his roll as a ball-playing middle. I was thinking we were looking a bit light on middles but with Bussey, Ferguson, Lockwood, Cooper, and Field, plus Harrison and Davies who can play middle we should be ok.

2 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

A happy evening in the Les Tonks Sidestep household this evening.

An added bonus to his return is that this should free up Bussey to resume his roll as a ball-playing middle. I was thinking we were looking a bit light on middles but with Bussey, Ferguson, Lockwood, Cooper, and Field, plus Harrison and Davies who can play middle we should be ok.

That's certainly cheered me up after a pretty gruelling long weekend helping out my old employer!

Our 26 man squad. Loans but no DR in 2021.

Back 5

Craig Hall Ben Blackmore Josh Hardcastle Thomas Minns Gareth Gale

also: Liam Whitton Jason Doyle

Halves & AHB 4

Dane Chisholm & Fa’Amanu Brown. Connor Jones & Dean Parata.

also: Jake Sweeting Harvey Spence

Middles and Edges 10

Jack Bussey, James Harrison, Brett Ferres, Brad Day, James Lockwood, John Davies, Luke Cooper, Dale Ferguson, Frankie Halton, Callum Field.

also: Jimmy Beckett Louie McConnell Joe Summers

4 hours ago, jamescolin said:

Has Luke Briscoe gone permanently?

Not sure what you mean - he left us permanently nearly two and a half years ago, though has played on DR for us on a number of occasions since then.

It's possible he could be loaned out to us next season if he isn't a starter for Leeds (he's still under contract to them next year). Whether that will happen with us having Blackmore and Gale I don't know, especially as from Leeds' point of view loaning him would mean losing him for at least a month initially.

21 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Have we a good replacement Full Back if Craig Hall gets injured.Along with Half Back and Hooker it is probably the most important position in any team.Make a mistake fielding a kick in your own 30m area puts you under the cosh.

I don't know what the situation is with Render but he would be more than capable.

32 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Have we a good replacement Full Back if Craig Hall gets injured.Along with Half Back and Hooker it is probably the most important position in any team.Make a mistake fielding a kick in your own 30m area puts you under the cosh.

Whitton who we signed from Leeds is a fullback IIRC

I'm sure I'll think of something funny to say soon.

45 minutes ago, J Phil Loxton said:

I don't know what the situation is with Render but he would be more than capable.

Thats why i was surprised he is not on the retained list.He showed steady progress when playing last season, even when he had a good game and was left out when injured players returned didn't complain.

1 hour ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Full Back  Hall Whitton

Half Back    Chisolm  Brown Sweeting and Spence

Hooker Parata  Jones

53 minutes ago, POR said:

Full Back  Hall Whitton

Half Back    Chisolm  Brown Sweeting and Spence

Hooker Parata  Jones

Excuse my ignorance but i don't know much about Whitton,is he a young player with potential?.Much like Render when we gave him a chance.As i said in my post i think Render would be a capable squad member and we know what he can do.However if Whitton performs  like Harry Newman did for us then he will be a good addition to the team.

Archived