SQUAD 2021

marklaspalmas

1 hour ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Excuse my ignorance but i don't know much about Whitton,is he a young player with potential?.Much like Render when we gave him a chance.As i said in my post i think Render would be a capable squad member and we know what he can do.However if Whitton performs  like Harry Newman did for us then he will be a good addition to the team.

when we signed him  club said he featured for and against Rovers during pre-season,he played in our opening 2020 friendly against York City Knights and he  also scored twice against Featherstone in our final pre-season tie against Leeds Rhinos.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 07/09/2020 at 16:08, marklaspalmas said:

Big props are always useful. If Albert is not coming, Fergie may not do the full season and no Holroyd on DR then we're short, aren't we?

Watching the Leeds game tonight, it was interesting that Ferres played in the middle (as he has been in previous games for them) and played the full 80 minutes in a SL game.

Given we are a bit short of middles and have Day/Davies/Halton, maybe Harrison, maybe Hardcastle too, who could fill the two edge back row positions, I can see us playing Ferres in the middle in 2021.

18 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Watching the Leeds game tonight, it was interesting that Ferres played in the middle (as he has been in previous games for them) and played the full 80 minutes in a SL game.

Given we are a bit short of middles and have Day/Davies/Halton, maybe Harrison, maybe Hardcastle too, who could fill the two edge back row positions, I can see us playing Ferres in the middle in 2021.

Yeah for sure. 

At that pace tonight, Ferres looked one of the less mobile packmen. He could easily play that 'prop' role for us, as could Lockwood, as have Davies, Bussey and Harrison in the past.

These new rules have furthered blurred the distinction between front and second row, with greater all round mobility required. The forwards now just look like 1 acting halfback and 5 generic middles.

Harrison showed up ok and I saw bits from McConnell too. Mustapha would be good for us too if they're offering.

10 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

Yeah for sure. 

At that pace tonight, Ferres looked one of the less mobile packmen. He could easily play that 'prop' role for us, as could Lockwood, as have Davies, Bussey and Harrison in the past.

These new rules have furthered blurred the distinction between front and second row, with greater all round mobility required. The forwards now just look like 1 acting halfback and 5 generic middles.

Harrison showed up ok and I saw bits from McConnell too. Mustapha would be good for us too if they're offering.

HKR after season long loan deal

14 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

Yeah for sure. 

Mustapha looked a willing worker can't see him making the Rhinos first team yet.A couple of years in the Championship will help his game no end.For what its worth with his tackling i thought James Harrison was the best forward on the Leeds side.

On 05/10/2020 at 12:39, The Phantom Horseman said:

So as we stand, and ignoring the rumours about Welham or the possibility that Harrison could leave, we could line up something like:

Hall
Gale
Hardcastle
Minns
Blackmore
Brown
Chisholm
Ferguson
Parata
Harrison
Day
Ferres
Lockwood
subs
Jones
Cooper
Bussey
Davies/Halton/Field

Need to fit Ryan Hall somehwre in there 😉

54 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Here's a  random news piece about the new career of Kris Welham, who is "preparing to step into the part-time Championship ranks at the end of this season"...

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/kris-welham-eager-challenge-cup-22844642

HWDAJFU

14 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Wellington Albert signs for Keighley. Bit of a surprising one that, but clears up what's happening with him.

https://keighleycougars.uk/wellington-albert-joins-the-pride

I was surprised at that too. Useful for us last season.

3 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

I was surprised at that too. Useful for us last season.

Me too, I thought he went well for us, and if he was going to become available we'd be interested. He'll be wasted at L1 level for sure.

With Albert now not coming back, Susino's return to Oz (seemingly never to return), question marks over how much (if any) game time we're going to get out of Ferguson, and possible SL interest in Harrison, we're potentially looking pretty short in the prop department. 

Wonder if we have any irons in the fire now that SL sides are planning for a new season without reserves/DR?

1 hour ago, Adam B said:

Me too, I thought he went well for us, and if he was going to become available we'd be interested. He'll be wasted at L1 level for sure.

With Albert now not coming back, Susino's return to Oz (seemingly never to return), question marks over how much (if any) game time we're going to get out of Ferguson, and possible SL interest in Harrison, we're potentially looking pretty short in the prop department. 

Wonder if we have any irons in the fire now that SL sides are planning for a new season without reserves/DR?

Yeah, when you put it like that, it seems a problem.

I was thinking if the speeded up no scrums game becaomes the norm in 2021, then forwards such as Bussey, Lockwood, Ferres, even Davies will occupy the positions we previously called 'front-row' or 'prop'

Confirmed news on two more. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

27 Players contracted for 2021:

Craig Hall 2nd year of 2 year deal

Ben Blackmore 2nd Year of 2 year deal

Josh Hardcastle 2nd Year of 2 year deal

Thomas Minns 2nd Year of 2 year deal

Dane Chisholm 2nd Year of 3 year deal

Dale Ferguson 2nd Year of 2 year deal

Dean Parata 2nd Year of 2 year deal

James Harrison 2nd Year of 2 year deal

Brett Ferres  2021 SIGNED

Brad Day 2nd Year of 2 year deal

James Lockwood 2nd Year of 2 year deal

John Davies 2nd Year of 2 year deal

Luke Cooper 2nd Year of 2 year deal

Jack Bussey 2021 SIGNED

Jimmy Beckett 2021 SIGNED

Jake Sweeting 2021 SIGNED

Gareth Gale 2nd Year of 2 year deal

NEW Fa’Amanu Brown HB from NRL

NEW Connor Jones H from Salford (returning)

NEW Kris Welham C from Salford

NEW Frankie Halton SR from Swinton

NEW Callum Field SR from Leigh

NEW Liam Whitton FB from Leeds

NEW Louie McConnell BR from Leeds

NEW Harvey Spence HB from Leeds

NEW Joe Summers BR from Castleford

NEW Jacon Doyle W from Castleford

On 28/10/2020 at 11:35, Adam B said:

I think this is a fair point. We look very strong in the outside backs, are set at hooker,  half back and edge back row positions, but we lack depth with our middles.

I think we might not see much activity until nearer the start of next season, if and when it happens. With SL clubs also cutting their cloth accordingly, it's likely to remain a buyer's market. 

Archived