SQUAD 2021

marklaspalmas

On 31/10/2020 at 08:19, The Phantom Horseman said:

I think we might not see much activity until nearer the start of next season, if and when it happens. With SL clubs also cutting their cloth accordingly, it's likely to remain a buyer's market. 

Can't help thinking purely from a comparative point of view that we have been very unlucky in how this is playing out. We invested heavily, and very well, prior to this season and had so many of our squad (and funds) tied up until the end of 2021. Then the pandemic strikes, Toronto fold, Ottawa get put on hold, SL teams across the country start shedding quality fringe players, DR is also ended because of the pandemic, and we already have our funds tied up whilst some of our Championship rivals are able to pick up quality players, presumably on the cheap in what is now very much a buyers' market. 2020 looks to have been a very good year to have been having a clearout.

No point in moaning of course, all this is pretty much irrelevant considering the situation the world is in, I'd just be glad to see us back playing some rugby league next year, and I still think we have a very good squad, I just think the situation has afforded helped a few other clubs more than us.

Let's hope the winter isn't too bad, the vaccine does its stuff and we're back in business sometime next Spring.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Some news that I think we'll all welcome...League Express reporting that we have knocked back Cas's interest in James Harrison with Davide Longo saying he's a key part of our squad and we would only part with him for "silly money".

"But we’ve made our stance crystal clear to his agent and James will be a part of our squad next season.”

Link here https://www.totalrl.com/featherstone-turn-down-interest-from-castleford-in-prop/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=featherstone-turn-down-interest-from-castleford-in-prop 

On 31/10/2020 at 08:19, The Phantom Horseman said:

I think this is a fair point. We look very strong in the outside backs, are set at hooker,  half back and edge back row positions, but we lack depth with our middles.

I think we might not see much activity until nearer the start of next season, if and when it happens. With SL clubs also cutting their cloth accordingly, it's likely to remain a buyer's market. 

We're looking strong everywhere else, however the (genuine) prop issue remains a concern for me. It was great to see us knocking Cas back re Harrison, and while we wouldn't want to stand in his way should the chance arise, we all know that if Cas offer him (or us) daft SL money, even just to sit on the bench/be a squad player, it'll be difficult for anyone to turn it down. That's especially the case if/when greedy agents (who as we know have no genuine regard for the players welfare) get involved too.

Since these posts, I see that b3ll-end at Leigh has (amongst others) signed both Peteru and Sidlow, both of whom I really hoped we might be in for. I'm all too aware that we have to 'cut our cloth' accordingly, however if we'd signed either of these two I'd have potentially seen us as a challenger. If we'd signed both (to complement what we already have) I'd have seen us as favourites. As it stands, and in view of the more recent recruitment, I now make Leigh favourites for whatever next years title/rewards looks like.

9 hours ago, Adam B said:

We're looking strong everywhere else, however the (genuine) prop issue remains a concern for me. It was great to see us knocking Cas back re Harrison, and while we wouldn't want to stand in his way should the chance arise, we all know that if Cas offer him (or us) daft SL money, even just to sit on the bench/be a squad player, it'll be difficult for anyone to turn it down. That's especially the case if/when greedy agents (who as we know have no genuine regard for the players welfare) get involved too.

Since these posts, I see that b3ll-end at Leigh has (amongst others) signed both Peteru and Sidlow, both of whom I really hoped we might be in for. I'm all too aware that we have to 'cut our cloth' accordingly, however if we'd signed either of these two I'd have potentially seen us as a challenger. If we'd signed both (to complement what we already have) I'd have seen us as favourites. As it stands, and in view of the more recent recruitment, I now make Leigh favourites for whatever next years title/rewards looks like.

I'm struggling to see a scenario that makes sense where Harrison goes to Cas. he's a very important player to us and would be very hard to replace, so we're unlikely to let him go for anything other than a decent fee, and it makes no sense for Cas to spend that plus a SL salary on him when he wouldn't be guaranteed to be a starter there.

Leigh have been on another of their spending sprees and yes on paper they look strong, but they brought in Kevin Brown, Junior Sa'au, Jordan Thompson, Ryan Brierley, Mitch Clark and a few others before the play-offs last year and we all know how that ended.

We're still at least 3 months away from any rugby anyway and although DR has gone, I can see loans still playing a fair part in the Championship (assuming we will still be there). Remember in 2019 we had the likes of Daniel Smith, Calum Turner, Ben Reynolds, Tom Holmes, Will Dagger, Dale Ferguson on loan. With no reserves there will be plenty of SL teams looking to get game time for fringe players, especially if the vaccines mean Covid is more under control by then.

Does anyone know if the six again rule is going to be implemented in the Championship next season? That might make "big-minute" middles such as Lockwood more valuable, whilst reducing the value of the bulkier, more traditional/"impact" props who perhaps wouldn't be so effective playing big minutes (Wellington Albert came into the latter category). We do still lack a bit of bulk in the middle but Harrison/Ferguson/Lockwood/Bussey/ Cooper/Davies, plus maybe Ferres, isn't a bad bunch.

1 hour ago, georgeb1 said:

correct , as things stand at the present time Leigh are streets ahead of ANYONE ELSE .

here are possible line-ups for Leigh and Fev. Is the Leigh line up streets ahead of ours? I'm not so sure
Leigh possible line-up
Mullen
Russell
Thornley
Sa'au
Shaw
Ellis
Mellor
Sidlow
Hood
Peteru
Thompson
Hellewell
Bell
subs
Wildie
Mason
Gee
Ioane/Spencer/Wallace/Brierley/Gerrard
Fev possible line up
Hall
Blackmore
Minns
Welham
Gale
Brown
Chisholm
Ferguson
Parata
Harrison
Ferres
Day
Lockwood
subs
Jones
Bussey
Hardcastle
Davies/Cooper/Halton

50 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I'm struggling to see a scenario that makes sense where Harrison goes to Cas. he's a very important player to us and would be very hard to replace, so we're unlikely to let him go for anything other than a decent fee, and it makes no sense for Cas to spend that plus a SL salary on him when he wouldn't be guaranteed to be a starter there.

Leigh have been on another of their spending sprees and yes on paper they look strong, but they brought in Kevin Brown, Junior Sa'au, Jordan Thompson, Ryan Brierley, Mitch Clark and a few others before the play-offs last year and we all know how that ended.

We're still at least 3 months away from any rugby anyway and although DR has gone, I can see loans still playing a fair part in the Championship (assuming we will still be there). Remember in 2019 we had the likes of Daniel Smith, Calum Turner, Ben Reynolds, Tom Holmes, Will Dagger, Dale Ferguson on loan. With no reserves there will be plenty of SL teams looking to get game time for fringe players, especially if the vaccines mean Covid is more under control by then.

Does anyone know if the six again rule is going to be implemented in the Championship next season? That might make "big-minute" middles such as Lockwood more valuable, whilst reducing the value of the bulkier, more traditional/"impact" props who perhaps wouldn't be so effective playing big minutes (Wellington Albert came into the latter category). We do still lack a bit of bulk in the middle but Harrison/Ferguson/Lockwood/Bussey/ Cooper/Davies, plus maybe Ferres, isn't a bad bunch.

From what I have heard both no scrums and 6 again rule will be used. I spoke to a couple of players and they both said how much the big middles are expected to struggle.

I always wonder if Leigh do background research on players or if Beaumont just thinks he is playing a managerial video game. They always look like they end up with good individuals but never end up with a good team. On that note Fev look the better team t me.

3 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

From what I have heard both no scrums and 6 again rule will be used. I spoke to a couple of players and they both said how much the big middles are expected to struggle.

I always wonder if Leigh do background research on players or if Beaumont just thinks he is playing a managerial video game. They always look like they end up with good individuals but never end up with a good team. On that note Fev look the better team t me.

The spotlight will be on Duffy with all the spending on players at Leigh.

4 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

here are possible line-ups for Leigh and Fev. Is the Leigh line up streets ahead of ours? I'm not so sure
Leigh possible line-up
Mullen
Russell
Thornley
Sa'au
Shaw
Ellis
Mellor
Sidlow
Hood
Peteru
Thompson
Hellewell
Bell
subs
Wildie
Mason
Gee
Ioane/Spencer/Wallace/Brierley/Gerrard
Fev possible line up
Hall
Blackmore
Minns
Welham
Gale
Brown
Chisholm
Ferguson
Parata
Harrison
Ferres
Day
Lockwood
subs
Jones
Bussey
Hardcastle
Davies/Cooper/Halton

Sure.

8 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Difference is this time Leigh get a whole season to gel , COVID-19 permitting 

I'm sure I'll think of something funny to say soon.

21 hours ago, The Grinder said:

Difference is this time Leigh get a whole season to gel , COVID-19 permitting 

Yes, they could be very good, we'll have to wait and see. Thing is, there seem to be a lot of views floating around on social media at the moment highlighting Leigh's recruitment as a major factor in their claims to the 12th SL spot, but games aren't played on paper; York were fancied by plenty (including me!) to do well in 2020 after what had looked like some good recruitment but had a record of played four, lost four when the season came to a halt, having scored just 26 points in those games whilst conceding 102.

Four games , come on far too early to judge how a season will unfold , fev have had some stuttering starts recently yet have still managed to make the playoffs , it's a long season , let's wait and see what 2021 brings😀😀😀

39 minutes ago, georgeb1 said:

Four games , come on far too early to judge how a season will unfold , fev have had some stuttering starts recently yet have still managed to make the playoffs , it's a long season , let's wait and see what 2021 brings😀😀😀

I'm a fan of how York have made their progess over the last two or three years but let's not sugarcoat it, although they played some good teams the start to the 2020 season was a nightmare when you consider the high-profile signings and the expectations following a terrific 2019 season. You've only to look at 26 points scored in four games and the fact that York parted ways with both half backs, Ben Johnston unceremoniously dumped to League 1 after York quickly realised what most of the Championship had worked out.

York may well be much better than this year, they have signed well on paper, but that's my point, you can't start crowning people based on signings before a game has been played.

Had a look at Nu Brown's Instagram for the first time today, his arrival in the UK has been delayed as sadly his mother is terminally ill. He thanks the club for being understanding about the situation and says he will be here by Christmas. Not a nice situation for the lad when he was just about to embark on a new career overseas.

11 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Craig Kopczak then, according to Matthew Shaw...

Would certainly fill one of our last remaining needs (assuming we stay in the Championship of course).

He must have had a change of heart, I know Fax had spoke to him but he were sure that he were staying at Wakey and was adamant he didn't want to drop down in to the Championship. Good solid prop and I liked him when he played for us all those years back in the Championship. I would imagine he will do a good job for you as long as SL hasn't ruined him.

2 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

He must have had a change of heart, I know Fax had spoke to him but he were sure that he were staying at Wakey and was adamant he didn't want to drop down in to the Championship. Good solid prop and I liked him when he played for us all those years back in the Championship. I would imagine he will do a good job for you as long as SL hasn't ruined him.

Think on lad. Craig Kopcazk is

1. staying in super league

2. signing for Fev.

🤔

34 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

I know Fax had spoke to him but he were sure that he were staying at Wakey and was adamant he didn't want to drop down in to the Championship.

Remeber when you were a teenager and girls would tell you "I'm just not ready for a relationship at the moment", then you'd see them arm-in-arm with a handsome bloke a few days later?😜

Think you're on a winner there.

Kopczak is a player on the cusp, I suspect he had another SL season left in him but has wisely decided to drop down a level. He probably has commitments outside the game so it's a clever move. He's easily got 2 years of Championship Rugby left, I know it's still a high level but it's just that little bit less intense and his size will help him a lot more.

Hope he goes well for you, likeable player.

9 hours ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

Think you're on a winner there.

Kopczak is a player on the cusp, I suspect he had another SL season left in him but has wisely decided to drop down a level. He probably has commitments outside the game so it's a clever move. He's easily got 2 years of Championship Rugby left, I know it's still a high level but it's just that little bit less intense and his size will help him a lot more.

Hope he goes well for you, likeable player.

Tell that to Nick Fozard. The players ive spoke to tend to say the championship is a tougher league than SL just because the pace is slower, play the balls are slower and all in all that lends itself to a more physical game. Its that pace and the extra skill levels that set SL apart. Theres a lot of teams signing these older SL players and if they drop down with the one last pay packet mentality they may get a surprise.

Archived