SQUAD 2021

marklaspalmas

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

We haven't announced anything yet but fingers crossed..... this is brilliant news, I think we all know he's a quality player and exciting to watch. He's SL quality in fact, just never been given a proper chance with Huddersfield spending on imports. 

It’s official, good news, UTR🔵⚪

Holmes' signing is good news imo for a number of reasons.

Firstly, Nu Brown's a bit of an unknown quantity as a half back at this level. He's played NRL and is a very exciting signing but he's moved between hooker and half back, and as we saw with the Boas brothers - who had played some great games at International level - it's not easy to come over here and immediately be effective at such an important position in the Championship.

Holmes, on the other hand, is absolutely proven at this level after two good spells with us. He had a big influence on Luke Briscoe's record tryscoring spree in 2018, he played alongside Chisholm for a few games in 2019, and he's a natural right-hand-side player, whereas Chissy plays on the left side.

Secondly, Nu Brown has a long list of injuries, it does sound like he's healthier now than he has been for a long time and he absolutely looks worth the risk (just like Cameron King was in similar circumstances) but it's sensible to have a quality alternative.

Thirdly, with some of the likelier challengers for top 5 also supposedly trying to sign him, you want him on your side rather than theirs don't you?

Over the last few weeks we do seem to have plugged the gaps that you could argue made our squad potentially vulnerable - second hooker, big prop/middle and an extra proven Championship-quality half back. Will be really exciting for next year if only this wretched virus will clear off.

8 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

With the squad we have if we cant get 1500 members for next season we don't deserve to be anywhere near Super League.

I know what you mean, but please don't say this again or it will probably end up as one of the SL's criteria for promotion!

"Out of the way,son. Where's my medal?" Alex Murphy's immortal words as David Hobbs scores his 2nd try in the '83 Cup Final!

2 hours ago, roversspud said:

I know what you mean, but please don't say this again or it will probably end up as one of the SL's criteria for promotion!

It already is S.L. want clubs to have a minimum gate of about 5000.I realise the population close to Fev is only about 15000 so it will be a tough task to get up to the levels that would satisfy S.L..Although if we do win promotion on the field they can't do much about it.They set a precedent by not making Wakefield and Cas upgrade their stadiums.

12 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Holmes' signing is good news imo for a number of reasons.

Firstly, Nu Brown's a bit of an unknown quantity as a half back at this level. He's played NRL and is a very exciting signing but he's moved between hooker and half back, and as we saw with the Boas brothers - who had played some great games at International level - it's not easy to come over here and immediately be effective at such an important position in the Championship.

Secondly, Nu Brown has a long list of injuries, it does sound like he's healthier now than he has been for a long time and he absolutely looks worth the risk (just like Cameron King was in similar circumstances) but it's sensible to have a quality alternative.

PH,

From what I have been able to ascertain Nu is head and shoulders a step up from the Boas brothers, though as you say injuries and COVID-19 will almost certainly limit us having having all 6 of the spine players (1/6/7/9) available every week.

As I said before I just think this is a great signing for us.

I'm sure I'll think of something funny to say soon.

On 24/12/2020 at 00:00, The Grinder said:

PH,

From what I have been able to ascertain Nu is head and shoulders a step up from the Boas brothers, though as you say injuries and COVID-19 will almost certainly limit us having having all 6 of the spine players (1/6/7/9) available every week.

Hope you're right Grinder, it's hard to tell from what's publicly available as most of the video footage of him that I've seen has been when playing hooker or running the ball.

Fair play to him though, his mother died three weks ago and he has still come over into the teeth of a raging pandemic at the coldest time of the year. Hope he settles in quickly, should help that he's clearly good pals with Rhyse Martin and Koni Hurrell who are over here playing for Leeds.

Not sure as to why this signing has been made, but welcome nevertheless. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

13 hours ago, gazza77 said:

Not sure as to why this signing has been made, but welcome nevertheless. 

think it's a cheap option to bolster the squad  in case  we have problems  with covid 

i.e. missing players or playing re-arranged midweek fixtures 

3 hours ago, POR said:

think it's a cheap option to bolster the squad  in case  we have problems  with covid 

i.e. missing players or playing re-arranged midweek fixtures 

We have by far our biggest squad for many years, I make it 29 at the moment. Think we had 30 in 2015 but four of those were Aussies who arrived in dribs and drabs. When the Leeds DR arrangement was in place, we tended to go with about 22-23.

Should help in terms of being able to have opposed training sessions anyway.

21 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

We have by far our biggest squad for many years, I make it 29 at the moment. Think we had 30 in 2015 but four of those were Aussies who arrived in dribs and drabs. When the Leeds DR arrangement was in place, we tended to go with about 22-23.

Should help in terms of being able to have opposed training sessions anyway.

Just updated the list. Yes, 29 players. Looks good.

I said on Oct 11th that i thought we needed cover at full back.Don't know much about Whitton but if he is not up to it we now have cover in one of the most important positions in the modern game.Although i would like him to advance his career while playing for us when needed.Think gates will be limited for most of the coming season so no excuse for not buying memberships and getting first choice of attendance during what will be a exciting Championship season.Talking to a front line hospital doctor over Christmas who has had the virus she thinks we will be more or less out of woods by September.

5 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

I said on Oct 11th that i thought we needed cover at full back.Don't know much about Whitton but if he is not up to it we now have cover in one of the most important positions in the modern game.Although i would like him to advance his career while playing for us when needed.Think gates will be limited for most of the coming season so no excuse for not buying memberships and getting first choice of attendance during what will be a exciting Championship season.Talking to a front line hospital doctor over Christmas who has had the virus she thinks we will be more or less out of woods by September.

It sounds like we are in for a grim few weeks - I've seen lots of interviews with NHS staff in the south-east of England especially who feel that hospitals are really struggling to cope and the trajectory of infections suggessts things are going to get much worse before they get better.

But the news this morning about the Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine getting the go-ahead could be the game-changer. Hancock talking on the news about being able to "get out of this pandemic by the Spring" seems remarkably bullish but if true that would be wonderful.

As for full back, Tom Holmes played very well at that position for us a couple of times in one of his stints here and I've read that Nu Brown played very well at full back once in the NRL. My guess is we won't see much of Sheriff beyond pre-season barring a rash of injuries, also to be honest the pathway to the gameday 17 looks tough for a handful of the younger members of our squad too and as mentioned previously I wouldn't be surprised to see some of those lads go out on loan.

22 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Think this signing will be as crucial to our progress as the Macauley Hallett one a couple of seasons back...

Nowt like giving the lad a good welcome to your club. 😂

6 minutes ago, Ainley Top said:

Nowt like giving the lad a good welcome to your club. 😂

Not at all, just being realistic, and was just replying to one light-hearted dig from a Dewsbury fan with a light-hearted Dewsbury-themed one in return.

If you have a 29-man squad, there are always going to be a handful of players whose pathway to a spot in the 17 is going to be tough, and I don't think it's controversial to say he's one of them as things stand. Good luck to him, he's a Fev player and sounds like he's arrived with a great attitude so he's got the full support of every Fev fan I'm sure.

2 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

It sounds like we are in for a grim few weeks - I've seen lots of interviews with NHS staff in the south-east of England especially who feel that hospitals are really struggling to cope and the trajectory of infections suggessts things are going to get much worse before they get better.

But the news this morning about the Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine getting the go-ahead could be the game-changer. Hancock talking on the news about being able to "get out of this pandemic by the Spring" seems remarkably bullish but if true that would be wonderful.

As for full back, Tom Holmes played very well at that position for us a couple of times in one of his stints here and I've read that Nu Brown played very well at full back once in the NRL. My guess is we won't see much of Sheriff beyond pre-season barring a rash of injuries, also to be honest the pathway to the gameday 17 looks tough for a handful of the younger members of our squad too and as mentioned previously I wouldn't be surprised to see some of those lads go out on loan.

As you know I am 86. I have had my first injection and the next is on the 7th January. Things ARE moving so lets hope they are a lot clearer by February. The authorities are going through the population at a good rate, fingers crossed.

Several people saying we have 29 players. I make it 31. Are any of these wrong?

Player Prev Club Pos
1 Jimmy Beckett   P/LF
2 Ben Blackmore   W
3 Fa'amanu Brown   HB/H/FB
4 Jack Bussey   F
5 Dane Chisholm   HB
6 Luke Cooper   P
7 John Davies   F
8 Brad Day   F
9 Jacob Doyle Castleford Tigers W
10 Dale Ferguson   2R/LF
11 Brett Ferres   2R