Wolfpack withdraw from Superleague 2020

Frankie Z

I sure loved having a little bit of northern England deposited on my doorstep every couple of weeks..made missing the old place so much easier..sure hope it doesn't end like this...

1 hour ago, RobertAM said:

I sure loved having a little bit of northern England deposited on my doorstep every couple of weeks..made missing the old place so much easier..sure hope it doesn't end like this...

As I predicted elsewhere, the roadblocks have become too big and too numerous.

2 hours ago, CanadianRugger said:

As I predicted elsewhere, the roadblocks have become too big and too numerous.

Not even a flagman to direct us...rather crazy imposters dressed as flagmen trying to bilk out of an unknown road toll at every turn.

It was the only decision they could make. A skinny squad to start the season with, visa issues getting some players back and one player leaving the team. Had they played a tight schedule of games in that situation, they would have got repeated hidings. I'm sure even Sky TV didn't want that. I'm glad they have pulled the plug and will be back in 2021,  if this virus allows for a normal resumption by then. 

Hopefully the club will have people in place to ensure the poor decisions made regarding the squad numbers are remedied. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

38 minutes ago, Neutralfan7 said:

Unfortunately I see this as the end for the wolf pack... SL wont go lightly on them for doing this, was good while it lasted for you guys.

SL has every reason to retain them. The WP cost them nothing, as they give them nothing.

The bigger issue is whether DA will keep stumping up the money. This virus has cost the club in a big way.

16 minutes ago, Neutralfan7 said:

What are TWP squad numbers like now? I see Kay has left and rumors are NZ Warriors are after SBW, I've also seen that Watkins is in dispute? I hope you guys pull through all this but it is worrying

I live in NZ and am a keen expansionist, I want to see the WP do well and get treated fairly which hasn’t been the case in my opinion. The TV situation is not fair at all. 

As for their squad, my comment above I believe is correct and they were in no position to be competitive for this extremely busy end of season programme.

36 minutes ago, RayCee said:

I live in NZ and am a keen expansionist, I want to see the WP do well and get treated fairly which hasn’t been the case in my opinion. The TV situation is not fair at all. 

As for their squad, my comment above I believe is correct and they were in no position to be competitive for this extremely busy end of season programme.

Sorry mate I'm lost on this, whats the TV situation? 

7 hours ago, Neutralfan7 said:

Sorry mate I'm lost on this, whats the TV situation? 

TWP were given no cut of TV Revenue or Central Funding. All the other clubs took a pay raise at their expense. The other clubs also refused to pay for travel expenses which was never part of the original agreement.  TWP were told, those are the conditions otherwise you don't get to play.

TWP tried to seek out its own TV deal only to find out SKY had already sold the rights to Sportsnet in Canada for pennies.

3 hours ago, CanadianRugger said:

TWP were given no cut of TV Revenue or Central Funding. All the other clubs took a pay raise at their expense. The other clubs also refused to pay for travel expenses which was never part of the original agreement.  TWP were told, those are the conditions otherwise you don't get to play.

TWP tried to seek out its own TV deal only to find out SKY had already sold the rights to Sportsnet in Canada for pennies.

Thanks for that mate, credit to TWP for doing that. Hopefully a solution can be found!

Even if it comes at the cost of demotion, if it leads to the Super League getting its act together on how to properly handle transcontinental expansion, then this could end up being a boon long-term.

The television coverage was both more comprehensive and widely accessible for Toronto while they were in the Championship (free online streams of almost every game on CBC vs only about 2/3 games on paid Sportsnet subscription), and it just makes the entire league look amateurish. The fact that the league has fundamentally treated Toronto like a second-class team is disgraceful and has frankly ruined my enjoyment of the sport as a fan. If I can’t even watch my team play every week, what am I even cheering for?

On 23/07/2020 at 12:44, Raz said:

Even if it comes at the cost of demotion, if it leads to the Super League getting its act together on how to properly handle transcontinental expansion, then this could end up being a boon long-term.

The television coverage was both more comprehensive and widely accessible for Toronto while they were in the Championship (free online streams of almost every game on CBC vs only about 2/3 games on paid Sportsnet subscription), and it just makes the entire league look amateurish. The fact that the league has fundamentally treated Toronto like a second-class team is disgraceful and has frankly ruined my enjoyment of the sport as a fan. If I can’t even watch my team play every week, what am I even cheering for?

This is what happens when those with a financial investment in clubs also run the game. Decisions will be made for their short term benefit and not for the greater good of the game. Until that changes, we can expect  more of the same.

Archived