Championship and League 1 Scrapped

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think at that level it is the right decision. It is simply too expensive for many clubs to play behind closed doors and pay players whilst receiving no furlough money and pay for insurance and testing etc. They dont need to go back for the TV money like the Super League clubs either.

At last! The only sensible outcome.

I do wonder whether the Championship clubs could arrange some sort of autumn/winter comp - Covid-19 Cup etc - for when crowds come back/furlough ends. 

Edit: Just read the RFL release. Seems there will be an autumn comp. Back to the Toronto thread!

As said above, the expense of playing may outweigh the cost of playing. I'm pleased that there is an autumn competition for the clubs that want to take part. It seems a sensible compromise.

That being said, gutted for the fans who won't see their team for a year, and part time players who might lose income. I hope that the pandemic and absence of teams makes fans come back in big numbers, rather than people getting out of the habit.

Really tough times, let's just hope we get through this year in one piece and build again next year.

17 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

And if you thought it couldn't get any more controversial today

Nothing remotely controversial (he says). Season too early to award prizes, promotion and relegation would be ridiculous, and the cost of restarting outweighs the benefits.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

Just going to bring up something I pointed out on another thread - I'm glad I'm on the other side of the Pennines to a certain Mr Beaumont right now.

Does mean you'll be on the same side as a certain Mr Campbell though, who i'm sure will be just as upset!

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

Just going to bring up something I pointed out on another thread - I'm glad I'm on the other side of the Pennines to a certain Mr Beaumont right now.

Derek is quiet. Maybe he knows something we don't? 

3 minutes ago, Snowys Backside said:

Derek is quiet. Maybe he knows something we don't? 

He's been off social media for a couple of years now iirc? SL have released a statement saying they're doing 11 teams.

18 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

At last! The only sensible outcome.

I do wonder whether the Championship clubs could arrange some sort of autumn/winter comp - Covid-19 Cup etc - for when crowds come back/furlough ends. 

Edit: Just read the RFL release. Seems there will be an autumn comp. Back to the Toronto thread!

Why would they want to play in another pointless competition, when they are already playing in one.

3 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

Does mean you'll be on the same side as a certain Mr Campbell though, who i'm sure will be just as upset!

Although I have some sympathy for them in terms of the investment they've put in, neither of them should be getting too outraged. This year is absolutely exceptional and this outcome is the only one possible to preserve the already fragile stability of the game as a whole. They'll be better placed than many others next year and should focus on the bigger picture. 

5 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

not really #

Featherstone Rovers Chairman Mark Campbell

If it comes down to the decision that the season cannot resume until 2021, we will accept that,

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

He's been off social media for a couple of years now iirc? SL have released a statement saying they're doing 11 teams.

My early prediction for 2021 is an 11 team Superleague, with the same number of rounds to fulfill the Sky contract, but a team on a bye each week. Which given the condensed nature of this year and next, might be no bad thing. 

Just now, Toby Chopra said:

My early prediction for 2021 is an 11 team Superleague, with the same number of rounds to fulfill the Sky contract, but a team on a bye each week. Which given the condensed nature of this year and next, might be no bad thing. 

I think its either that or Toronto with a points deduction.

1 minute ago, Hela Wigmen said:

If you thought today couldn’t get any more amateur... 

The game is on its backside. 

It's pretty much exactly the same decision that county cricket have made. Are they amateurs? 

There's plenty to criticise the RFL for but not this. It's the only sensible outcome for the greater good, and indeed the only possible criticism is that they didn't make it earlier. 

Archived