Championship and League 1 Scrapped

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be complete folly to allow Toronto back into SL for 2021 because you would be risking the same scenario again. What we need for next year is some form of stability, especially if there's chance of a second spike or local lockdowns. 

2 hours ago, Damien said:

None but they are going to be tested regularly and will have far more in safeguards in place than will be the case in the Championship or League 1. They are also full time and clubs can much better control what they do and they aren't dependent on part time jobs and the goodwill of their employer as per the post you replied to.

Leigh,  Fev, TO, Widnes and London are also FT.

If folk cannot see that it is these REAL teams who need helping, then I despair. As I understand it at these clubs, players were being paid in full, tens of thousands per month above furlough. The clubs and its players were desperate to play - at best now it will be furlough money only, does that break a contract? Who pays the October and November wage bills ? The advice to these clubs must be to enter administration and protect yourselves from debt?? Surely by doing so they cannot have a points deduction and be relegated???

All logic says as a sport we must now see we have a middle trench of clubs, the above but also Wakey, Salford, Cas, HKR, Huddersfield who are no or little better than those unfortunate to be in the Pub leagues. We must expand SL, my preference is 2 x10 and has been for 8 years. You look after the real clubs outside SL and allow cashed up expansion entry without losing millions playing pub teams

We must also keep TW in SL if Argylle wants to stay

9 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Aren’t Leigh, Fev and Widnes using this “hybrid” model of full time and part time players? 

Leigh have 20+ FT players, the fringe are PT and as yet haven't been needed. I understand Fev train with Leeds then get topped up with PT players

13 hours ago, Anonymouse said:

What good is a competition ? most teams won't enter from the bottom half of the champ and probably all in league 1 will not fancy it . They don't have a chance of winning and most likely play one costly travel away game and be knocked out . Fans won't be entertained at that prospect . 

You know the format, do you?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

13 hours ago, PEANUT HEAD said:

Most of the clubs wont have enough players to raise a team.

"Most" - really?

You do have a sulk on don't you PH?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

12 hours ago, wiganermike said:

Opting to play in those Challenge Cup games would incur more costs than just their player wages though. You would have to think they would withdraw given the cancellation of their leagues.

The only one of the 5 that I could see opting to play in the Challenge Cup are Newcastle. They were due to play Toronto and given that Toronto have themselves withdrawn Newcastle are in line for a bye to the quarter finals. The quarter finals take place on September 19th/20th so Newcastle would only need to take their players off furlough a few weeks early in late September for a quarter final against a SL club. It will then not be much longer until the autumn competition is likely to start which they could also enter to get some gate money.

Yes, I am sure that the players having had a long lay off, limited conditioning, non-contact training etc would relish being thronw onto the pitch against a SL club who have been back in training and playing for two months. Duty of care - what's that?

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Because you knew you weren't good enough to make a crust and accepted your place, Ambition is what keeps the cogs turning lose that and we may aswell do as you did and say Ho Well, never mind.

Like I say, some fans want that ambition, some owners need that ambition, just populate the Championship with those who don't care and it will be a very dull place indeed, with not much life expectancy.

All clubs are ambitious Harry, but their ambitions might not be the same. I don't know why you dismiss this as if these clubs should just lt themselves drift out of existence to meet you higher principles.

1 hour ago, sweaty craiq said:

Leigh,  Fev, TO, Widnes and London are also FT.

If folk cannot see that it is these REAL teams who need helping, then I despair. As I understand it at these clubs, players were being paid in full, tens of thousands per month above furlough.

This sounds a bit like the reasons why rich folk need bigger tax cuts than the poor. If we can't help the wealthy clubs then who can we help.

🥺 🥺

2 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

All clubs are ambitious Harry, but their ambitions might not be the same. I don't know why you dismiss this as if these clubs should just lt themselves drift out of existence to meet you higher principles.

They shouldn't just drift out of existence but find a level of peers, the Batleys etc need to be with the bigger amateur clubs in a play and pay league in Winter. They will attract bigger gates, more sponsors and the better ones might decide to have a pop at FT RL some day

14 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I think its either that or Toronto with a points deduction.

Tommy, if they deduct points from Toronto, it is utterly shameful.

Just now, fighting irish said:

I don't think its utterly shameful, bad taste and somewhat unsporting to some maybe but not shameful

I do find the condescending attitude that some fans of the top Championship clubs have towards the smaller clubs quite bizarre. You know the same attitude that they get all outraged about when fans of bigger Super League clubs display it towards their club.

1 minute ago, Blind side johnny said:

This sounds a bit like the reasons why rich folk need bigger tax cuts than the poor. If we can't help the wealthy clubs then who can we help.

🥺 🥺

This is a typical little man understanding - when tax is lower for the top earners more is collected so do you base tax on higher rates lower cash collected, or encourage the generation of the cash by aiding those capable to do so. We have too many clubs with ageing fan bases having a vote about the future of ambitious clubs with far greater fan bases, maybe its time for a third voting level ie SL, FT non SL and pub teams

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

I do find the condescending attitude that some fans of the top Championship clubs have towards the smaller clubs quite bizarre. You know the same attitude that they get all outraged about when fans of bigger Super League clubs display it towards their club.

Without furlough, how would the smaller clubs have voted?

22 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Yes, I am sure that the players having had a long lay off, limited conditioning, non-contact training etc would relish being thronw onto the pitch against a SL club who have been back in training and playing for two months. Duty of care - what's that?

I don't expect any of them will opt to play their Challenge Cup ties as I said in my opening paragraph. Just that if any do that Newcastle would be most likely. Judging by what Mick Hogan (who runs the club) said they have not yet ruled it out completely.

7 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Without furlough, how would the smaller clubs have voted?

I'm not sure why you are quoting me because it is nothing to do with what I said. Maybe if there was equal funding and the clubs at the top of the Championship clubs weren't getting considerably more than those at the bottom then things may be different for those smaller clubs.

13 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

the future of ambitious clubs with far greater fan bases

Mate, Leigh's ambition, as put forward on here, is to be "just good enough to avoid relegation from Super League".

It's not quite as inspiring and visionary as you seem to think.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

18 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

If your prize racehorse breaks/pulls up in a race,  you don't put him down afterwards.

1 minute ago, Kayakman said:

If your prize racehorse breaks/pulls up in a race,  you don't put him down afterwards.

What if your trainer was continually failing to pay the jockey and other people that required payment and often had issues about getting the right paperwork in place to compete in races?

30 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

They shouldn't just drift out of existence but find a level of peers, the Batleys etc need to be with the bigger amateur clubs in a play and pay league in Winter. They will attract bigger gates, more sponsors and the better ones might decide to have a pop at FT RL some day

And there's us whinging about what SL chairmen say about us cocker!!

8 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Mate, Leigh's ambition, as put forward on here, is to be "just good enough to avoid relegation from Super League".

It's not quite as inspiring and visionary as you seem to think.

It isn't but to be able to compete would need a run in SL to attract players who would not want a premium and develop our own - and thus stay within a cap. I am sure, mi owd mucker, that you can understand that logic - the salary cap is bad for the clubs not winning pots.

Look at most sports the top 4/5 tend to win the pots, the same 6/7 fight to avoid relegation and the rest just enjoy the ride and taking the odd scalp.

Archived