Championship and League 1 Scrapped

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really don't understand why the Championship and League 1 clubs could not play behind closed doors but offering live feeds hosted by the home team by subscription  the technology is available.

Oh well its a done deal now ..................:(

3 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

It isn't but to be able to compete would need a run in SL to attract players who would not want a premium and develop our own - and thus stay within a cap. I am sure, mi owd mucker, that you can understand that logic - the salary cap is bad for the clubs not winning pots.

Look at most sports the top 4/5 tend to win the pots, the same 6/7 fight to avoid relegation and the rest just enjoy the ride and taking the odd scalp.

Still sounds pretty unambitious. 

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, wayne_r said:

I really don't understand why the Championship and League 1 clubs could not play behind closed doors but offering live feeds hosted by the home team by subscription  the technology is available.

Oh well its a done deal now ..................:(

sky won't allow it  FEV's tv channel can only show games 2 day's after the'ave been played

2 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Go on, enlighten me. Why is it wrong?

2 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

There appears to be a difference of opinions then.

C'est la vie.

Hela, my ''Yes it is'' was an invitation to you, to justify your ''No it's not''. 

Robin, you're exactly right. No difference of opinion there then. 

16 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

What if your trainer was continually failing to pay the jockey and other people that required payment and often had issues about getting the right paperwork in place to compete in races?

Here is what should happen:

" The RFL and SL totally reaffirm their full support of the Toronto Wolfpack and the difficulties they have endured due to the Covid Crisis.  Their place in SL is confirmed for next year and they will begin receiving their proper slice of the Sky money from the TV contract to ensure the long term viability of the franchise.  Toronto will be logistically supported during their reorganization for next year.  Mr. David Argyle will be fined the sum of 1 (one) pound with no other sanctions."

That is what should happen.

1 minute ago, Kayakman said:

" The RFL and SL totally reaffirm their full support of the Toronto Wolfpack and the difficulties they have endured due to the Covid Crisis.  Their place in SL is confirmed for next year and they will begin receiving their proper slice of the Sky money from the TV contract to ensure the long term viability of the franchise.  Toronto will be logistically supported during their reorganization for next year.  Mr. David Argyle will be fined the sum of 1 (one) pound with no other sanctions."

Toronto agreed to those clauses upon joining the game, so much like their inability to pay people at all/on time, their issues with visas that have happened every single year since their inception and the lawsuits against them, it’s on their heads. 

1 minute ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Toronto agreed to those clauses upon joining the game, so much like their inability to pay people at all/on time, their issues with visas that have happened every single year since their inception and the lawsuits against them, it’s on their heads. 

That is a vindictive attitude and will do nothing to improve the current situation...only make it worse.  

Why?

18 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Still sounds pretty unambitious. 

So a 5 year plan that says get to SL, pay full cap to stay in SL, create cat1 academy and be the best you can be  whilst working within cap constraints is unambitious ? The only way the big clubs domination can be broken is getting rid of the cap, which I agree with btw

3 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

So a 5 year plan that says get to SL, pay full cap to stay in SL, create cat1 academy and be the best you can be  whilst working within cap constraints is unambitious ? 

I mean, I guess from the perspective of a small club it might seem ambitious.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

That is a vindictive attitude and will do nothing to improve the current situation...only make it worse.  

Why?

Because a number of Toronto’s issues have existed longer than Covid and while Covid will have exacerbated other issues the club faced, it cannot be used as a blanket reason for how the club has ended up in a position of where it finds itself currently. 

There’s been question marks over the viability of the organisation almost since the beginning of the clubs existence and more so as each year passes and we learn of new issues in regards to payment of players, transfer fees owed to others, payment to other businesses and persons, the lawsuits that have materialised each year and the visa issues that were still happening four years after the club begun playing games. There’s very serious insolvent concerns, of which were existing before a global pandemic, about the club going forward which effects the credibility and integrity of the Super League competition moving forwards. 

However, if Toronto are around at all, which seems unlikely given rumours circulating in RL press circles, there needs to be a punishment. Is it as severe as demotion or would a hefty fine, though would Super League expect payment or that, be more befitting the ‘crime’? I suppose that’s subjective but I cannot see Toronto getting away with walking away from a competition mid-year without any ramifications, myself. Personally, I can’t see a way back for Toronto, especially if rumours are to be believed. 

4 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Because a number of Toronto’s issues have existed longer than Covid and while Covid will have exacerbated other issues the club faced, it cannot be used as a blanket reason for how the club has ended up in a position of where it finds itself currently. 

There’s been question marks over the viability of the organisation almost since the beginning of the clubs existence and more so as each year passes and we learn of new issues in regards to payment of players, transfer fees owed to others, payment to other businesses and persons, the lawsuits that have materialised each year and the visa issues that were still happening four years after the club begun playing games. There’s very serious insolvent concerns, of which were existing before a global pandemic, about the club going forward which effects the credibility and integrity of the Super League competition moving forwards. 

However, if Toronto are around at all, which seems unlikely given rumours circulating in RL press circles, there needs to be a punishment. Is it as severe as demotion or would a hefty fine, though would Super League expect payment or that, be more befitting the ‘crime’? I suppose that’s subjective but I cannot see Toronto getting away with walking away from a competition mid-year without any ramifications, myself. Personally, I can’t see a way back for Toronto, especially if rumours are to be believed. 

What are you hearing over yonder?

3 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

John Davidson has reported that David Argyle will pull the plug completely in November. 

There is also a report saying that Argyle expects Toronto to be booted out.

Either way, I suspect that's the end of Toronto.

Just now, gingerjon said:

There is also a report saying that Argyle expects Toronto to be booted out.

Either way, I suspect that's the end of Toronto.

Not strictly true. One of the articles said that DA had informed the TWP squad that he expects one of four outcomes, 1. TWP retain SL place for 2021, 2. TWP demoted to Championship for 2021, 3. Demotion to League 1 for 2021, 4. License revoked and expelled from RFL systems. It states that David Argyle expects the outcome to be option 2. He has also been quoted as stating that he would be OK if TWP had to reboot to how they were in 2016 and begin the building process again.

There are various things being reported by various sources but some appear to contradict others. I imagine we will find out David Argyle's ultimate decision whenever he knows how the RFL and SL are going to proceed and any sanctions/conditions handed down for certain.

37 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

You have to ask yourself whether we would be having this debate if Toronto had won all their opening games and were sitting on top of Super League? Does the fact they are winless and propping up the table have anything to do with it?

All the hype about Toronto typifies one of the problems with Super League - They only think of how big a club could become rather than thinking about what could happen if things don't go as planned. How do we know we won't have a repeat next year if they're allowed back for 2021?

If you apply for a loan the bank checks your credit rating, but previous financial failings seem to matter very little in Rugby League.

Archived