Championship and League 1 Scrapped

1 hour ago, LeytherRob said:

Wow. Consider that dummy well and truly spit.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Smudger06 said:

8 or 9 of the Championship Clubs lack ambition and just want to hold down a place in the Championship this season and 2021 to collect distribution money. Holding the game back. 5 or 6 of those have no significant matchday income so are quite happy not to play matches. 

Alternatively 8 or 9 of the Championship clubs realise that most of their income (due to the much lower central distribution they had this year than the top 5 or 6) was to come from paying attendees whether through ticket sales or associated sundries sold on game day. In the absence of this income those clubs realised individually that to incur the wages and other associated costs from playing fixtures would result in the likely demise of their clubs and decided that to go into hibernation was the unfortunate but best option.

It might upset the few that wanted to chase promotion but if calling a halt means that it is more likely that 25 clubs emerge to play in Championship and League 1 next year rather than 5 or 6 then it is the right call to make. Clubs failing to win promotion in the recent past have shortly after gone bust without the added financial pressure we now face. Had there been a resumption and a promoted team they may well have been the only one of the lower league starters still in existence come 2021. How would that be a better outcome?

4 minutes ago, wasginger said:

You spout some absolute garbage. Firstly Campbell certainly doesn't need a tin foil hat to make comments. Secondly making ridiculous comments over the past 2 days, no, the first comment was about replacing Toronto and keeping the S/L to 12 teams for this season and keeping the integrity of that competition, but like everything else related to Featherstone, no reply, good PR with your member clubs. The second comment about what it would cost him and the CLUB, why shouldn't he make his point clear. This man has turned his blood to water to keep this club from going under, he's also modernised the stadium by a way that was thinking out of the box, and thanks to the volunteers who helped dismantle, transport and reassemble those stands. Something some S/L clubs could have done, but no took the easy option and sat on their hands. It's stupid people like you that is and will kill this game, by alienating supporters from lower divisions.

Personnally I wish I could have used my own language. One sentence would have been suffice.

Campbell is no Robin Hood of the lower leagues. He's not interested in taking from "the rich" and giving to "the poor", he cares little for making Rugby League a better game for all, he cares little for growing the sport. He wants a seat at the top table alongside the Super League chairmen, who people like Campbell and lower league fans spend so often vilifying for "self interest", while Campbell is looking after his own self interests (of which I don't blame him for, it's what everyone is doing, after all). And this, the greed from chairmen at every single level is why the game is where it's at right now. We're governed by our clubs and those clubs should have a say on what happens to the sport and their business interest but the game needs independent governance and without it, this infighting, belittling of each other and rather toxic and dour war of words will continue again and again. 

2 minutes ago, wiganermike said:

Alternatively 8 or 9 of the Championship clubs realise that most of their income (due to the much lower central distribution they had this year than the top 5 or 6) was to come from paying attendees whether through ticket sales or associated sundries sold on game day. In the absence of this income those clubs realised individually that to incur the wages and other associated costs from playing fixtures would result in the likely demise of their clubs and decided that to go into hibernation was the unfortunate but best option.

It might upset the few that wanted to chase promotion but if calling a halt means that it is more likely that 25 clubs emerge to play in Championship and League 1 next year rather than 5 or 6 then it is the right call to make. Clubs failing to win promotion in the recent past have shortly after gone bust without the added financial pressure we now face. Had there been a resumption and a promoted team they may well have been the only one of the lower league starters still in existence come 2021. How would that be a better outcome?

Almost a year of no matches. Fans will lose interest, get into the habit of not attending. Find something else to spend money on.

39 minutes ago, POR said:

interesting though  HW the article missed out some salient points from his from his statement on club web site which highlights his frustration

Rovers' goal during these unprecedented times has always been to explore every avenue in trying to resume the season 

The RFL have mislead clubs with an unsupported cost figure for testing of £5,000 per week. To this day, club officials still haven’t had any documentation or evidence to support this figure for weekly testing.

Club officials had an agreement in place with a local hub that were prepared to provide tests for all essential staff and a courier service free of charge. Unfortunately the RFL, through the CAG, have not considered any other way of reducing the costs.

Seems to consistent with the well publicised testing costs for the Budesliga, EPL.etc

7 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Not sure why you’re swerving the question I asked. 

I thought your ''No its not'' was abrupt, to the point of rudeness. My ''yes it is'' was merely a reflection of your tactic.

I'm not swerving the question, I've made my opinion (and the depth of feeling) patently obvious.

By comparison, your remark was totally devoid of any content, or context, a hecklers snipe.

If you can defend the idea of ''punishing'' Toronto, I'm inviting you to take your shot.

If you can't, that's an end to it. 

12 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Come off it, you've been on the TWP threads. 

Yeah and on social media too, plenty of "Argyle is a conman", "Argyle shouldn't be allowed on the board of the Wolfpack should they ever come back", one that said "good riddance to them and their racist owner", "Argyle wouldn't pass a fit and proper persons test" etc. 

I'll reiterate, your comment was demonstrably false and you should stop feeling sorry for yourself.

8 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Yeah and on social media too, plenty of "Argyle is a conman", "Argyle shouldn't be allowed on the board of the Wolfpack should they ever come back", one that said "good riddance to them and their racist owner", "Argyle wouldn't pass a fit and proper persons test" etc. 

I'll reiterate, your comment was demonstrably false and you should stop feeling sorry for yourself.

Argyle just reaffirmed his commitment to the club long term and a shift in focus to NA player development...they would be crazy to remove the Wolfpack from SL....they have no control over the Covid!

The Naysayers have it all wrong and are going to unwillingly have to eat their tripe over this one.

Its so obvious.

11 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Its this sport im feeling sorry for atm to be honest. 

14 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

I'd imagine the £5k is based on the well publicised testing costs for the Budesliga and EPL.

I'd assume the same. Doesn't answer why the RFL don't seem to be able to clearly explain that though. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

Its this sport im feeling sorry for atm to be honest. 

SL and Elstone have alot to answer for...thats for sure...hopefully they can fix their bungling.

Just now, gazza77 said:

I'd assume the same. Doesn't answer why the RFL don't seem to be able to clearly explain that though. 

Do they need to? A figure of about £5k per week is accurate enough to help (most) clubs to make a decision - a few hundred quid either way doesn't make a lot of difference.

1 minute ago, Kayakman said:

Argyle just reaffirmed his commitment to the club long term and a shift in focus to NA player development...they would be crazy to remove the Wolfpack from SL....they have no control over the Covid!

The Naysayers have it all wrong and are going to unwillingly have to eat their tripe over this one.

Its so obvious.

It's not too late for Argyle, he can still redeem himself, prove himself and be the RL hero we all want him to be. He can't quit on every1, he must bend the other chairmen to his will. I had doubts about him, more so now. I guess we will see if he is worthy or TWP totally collapse. 

It's not too late for Argyle, he can still redeem himself, prove himself and be the RL hero we all want him to be. He can't quit on every1, he must bend the other chairmen to his will. I had doubts about him, more so now. I guess we will see if he is worthy or TWP totally collapse. 

Support him....he is doing what must be done due top the convoluted governance structure and bullheadedness of some of the SL owners....there will be no collapse, none whatsoever.

5 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Do they need to? A figure of about £5k per week is accurate enough to help (most) clubs to make a decision - a few hundred quid either way doesn't make a lot of difference.

To me, if asked, yes. Maybe it's the accountant in me, but if someone at work told me something was going to cost £5k* and I didn't believe them, then I'd expect them to be able to prove it. 

* that's probably because I'd expect the cost to be more, not less, but the principle is the same. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

47 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Featherstone putting their hand up and now London. If only there was some kind of competition that any teams who wanted to possibly earn promotion could play in.

why not... have a 4 team or whatever number, even two team event that determines which club take Toronto SL place next season...

Easy to do...

7 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

agreed but FEV say they can get it free so would assume all other clubs could  try to do the same

2 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Support him....he is doing what must be done due top the convoluted governance structure and bullheadedness of some of the SL owners....there will be no collapse, none whatsoever.

It's hard to support him right now kman, withdrawing a week b4 his 1st game. Paying his blokes late. I hope he forges ahead though. 

50 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Featherstone putting their hand up and now London. If only there was some kind of competition that any teams who wanted to possibly earn promotion could play in.

How many tournaments do you know taking place right now and will conclude before the SL season restarts in roughly 2 weeks?

5 hours ago, wiganermike said:

They publicly announced that it would be taking place yesterday. How much information would you expect them to be able to confirm about an invitational tournament when no clubs have had time to consider whether or not they will compete in it, let alone inform the RFL of their individual decisions? It is unknown how many clubs will enter so how could format, dates, venues (if having a neutral final) etc. possibly be known let alone publicly announced? Its proposed existence, prize money and ultimate prize are about the only things that could be announced. The only other thing they could have added would have been an official name for it.

They are probably hoping Dereck will sponsor it for them 😂

1 minute ago, Click said:

How many tournaments do you know taking place right now and will conclude before the SL season restarts in roughly 2 weeks?

as I say earlier... play a competition for any championship clubs that want to be involved for SL place next season to replace Toronto for next season.

Can be as little as two team, 3 or 4 or whomever.

3 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

It's hard to support him right now kman, withdrawing a week b4 his 1st game. Paying his blokes late. I hope he forges ahead though. 

They backed him between a rock and a hard place..he made the hard call.  SL tried a powerplay on him and he was having none of it...thanks for your support though...we will make it through (one way or another)!

Just now, Click said:

Who said anything about it needing to finish in two weeks?

We have a condensed season ahead of us in Super League, with a team potentially playing something mad like 13 games in approx 60 days. While eleven teams is not ideal, the period now vacated by Toronto's absence can now be used for resting and recuperation and the "Covid Cup" can determine the twelth team for 2021.

Archived