Championship and League 1 Scrapped

4 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Who said anything about it needing to finish in two weeks?

We have a condensed season ahead of us in Super League, with a team potentially playing something mad like 13 games in approx 60 days. While eleven teams is not ideal, the period now vacated by Toronto's absence can now be used for resting and recuperation and the "Covid Cup" can determine the twelth team for 2021.

Except London and Fev are offering to replace Toronto for this season, saying they have squads that are ready to step up. They're not talking about 2021. 

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Click said:

Except London and Fev are offering to replace Toronto for this season, saying they have squads that are ready to step up. They're not talking about 2021. 

but if offered such a competition I'm sure they would be two of the teams agreeing to it... plus whomever else

Don't see anything wrong with such a suggestion... if the RFL/SL had the wherewithal to do it... rather than indecisive action on wondering what to do with Toronto next season.

For whatever reason they broke he rules, need punishment, and put them in the Championship and which ever teams want to take part play for SL place next year.

If Toronto are really sustainable, then they will win promotion end of 2021.. or not much longer. Plus be in a better position to compete back in SL...

Its a win win...

6 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Let them prove that by winning this competition then. 

Let's save the time if there is only those two, let's base it on head to head results in 2020.😜

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

More than those two have offered

Rimmer must now go - gets a worthless loan and is hailed a hero and now says no appetite to play and constructs a comp over a period that the ambitious clubs could have played for promotion in

Figures of a salary circa 250k have been banded about for him - no value in that going forward

1 hour ago, Kayakman said:

They backed him between a rock and a hard place..he made the hard call.  SL tried a powerplay on him and he was having none of it...thanks for your support though...we will make it through (one way or another)!

You sound as if you know something I don't K'man. What were they trying to do?

7 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Trying to compare football to rugby league or Super League to NRL is disingenuous. 

No it is not.... why should we not be more reastic like NRL are.  They do not have promotion and relegation, but they still have lower tier leagues

33 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

You sound as if you know something I don't K'man. What were they trying to do?

When I was boy I used to go down to the barn in the morning and the night to milk the cows....at the corner of the barn were two big silos and there was a sort of dead end corner that was like a trap...no escape.

Well one afternoon me and the golden retriever (Teddy) were down there and Teddy had cornered a chipmunk in the dead zone corner...every time that there chipmunk made a run for it Teddy would direct/chase him back into the corner and approach..that chipmunk would rear up and try for another escape but Teddy would drive him back into the corner.  I watched the whole thing unfold (Teddy was a great killer of rodents and groundhogs; the best I've ever seen).  Well Teddy was done foolin around and having fun so he went in for the kill....that chipmunk was stuck in a hard place, no where to turn, none to help him out...the end of his life was near.   The little ###### reared up as Teddy approached and bit him right in the nose...Teddy yelped and backed off and the little fella escaped....I hit the ground rollin and belly laughin and then Teddy came to me with a large chunk out of his nose and and man oh man was he bleeding.  Teddy had messed with the wrong chipmunk.

Teddy=SL

Chipmunk=Argyle

That is what they were trying to do.

4 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

No it is not.... why should we not be more reastic like NRL are.  They do not have promotion and relegation, but they still have lower tier leagues

That nobody bothers with 

Bring back the regional cups for a quickfire comp in late Sept into Oct..have a groups then knockout format

Lancashire cup. 12 teams,3 groups of 4,winner of each group advances to the semis and the 4th team is the best runner up..

Teams and groups 

Leigh 

Oldham

swinton

Rochdale

------------------

Barrow

Whitehaven

Workington

Newcastle

-------------------

London 

Coventry 

North Wales

Widnes

Have a Yorkshire cup based on the same groups then knockout format..

You could have it all done in 6-8 week

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

11 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Campbell is no Robin Hood of the lower leagues. He's not interested in taking from "the rich" and giving to "the poor", he cares little for making Rugby League a better game for all, he cares little for growing the sport. He wants a seat at the top table alongside the Super League chairmen, who people like Campbell and lower league fans spend so often vilifying for "self interest", while Campbell is looking after his own self interests (of which I don't blame him for, it's what everyone is doing, after all). And this, the greed from chairmen at every single level is why the game is where it's at right now. We're governed by our clubs and those clubs should have a say on what happens to the sport and their business interest but the game needs independent governance and without it, this infighting, belittling of each other and rather toxic and dour war of words will continue again and again. 

What will be your reaction come the next TV contract, if SL decide as Mr Leneghan quite publicly announced his desire to withdraw any funding from clubs below SL level?

I can see in your post that you are apportioning "looking after number one" at all levels, but if SL follows through with Mr Leneghan's desire that would be a tantamount to a "mass culling" in the second and third divisions.

We can only speculate on how much do some of those Championship owners know what us going on behind the scenes, there seems to be a concerted effort from some saying  "if you can't beat them join them", also include a closed shop/licensing/franchise return and I can understand the attitude.

As stated previously, there are two distinct divisions within both SL and Championship formats, those who will be there or there about at the top in SL and those who will always be struggling in the Championship, there is not a lot of difference in a most of the clubs in the portion including the bottom SL dwellers and top Championship clubs save for the level of funding recieved, they are all very much aware of this, hence being self interested.

11 hours ago, POR said:

agreed but FEV say they can get it free so would assume all other clubs could  try to do the same

And so to Leigh, seems very funny that it is those two teams who have actually tried to source a solution, whilst most others seem happy to let an opportunity to recommence just drift on past.

15 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

We can only speculate on how much do some of those Championship owners know what us going on behind the scenes, there seems to be a concerted effort from some saying  "if you can't beat them join them", also include a closed shop/licensing/franchise return and I can understand the attitude.

As stated previously, there are two distinct divisions within both SL and Championship formats, those who will be there or there about at the top in SL and those who will always be struggling in the Championship, there is not a lot of difference in a most of the clubs in the portion including the bottom SL dwellers and top Championship clubs save for the level of funding recieved, they are all very much aware of this, hence being self interested.

You do have wonder how much the Championship chairman know about the behind-the-scenes machinations that must inevitably be happening as the next TV deal looms

FWIW I agree with you Harry, that the Championship is two divisions within a division. My view is that now would be the time grasp the nettle and go for 2x10s. Twenty full-time clubs with no DR allowed, and promotion and relegation between them. The rest of the clubs would be part-time or amateur community clubs in their own divisions with promotion and relegation between those divisions. I know it sounds brutal but I don't see another way - you can't mix oil and water. 

Whether we can find and fund 20 teams is another issue to solve, of course. We aren't that far off when you start with the current 12 and add Leigh, Featherstone, London, Toulouse - then potentially Bradford, Widnes, Ottawa and perhaps Newcastle?

11 hours ago, Smudger06 said:

It's hard to support him right now kman, withdrawing a week b4 his 1st game. Paying his blokes late. I hope he forges ahead though. 

One very relevant point that has not been mentioned is TWP pulled the plug prior to the announcement that P&R had definatley been abandoned for this season.

In that I am going to give them a big massive "tick", if they have taken a calculated risk that they will recieve no more than a slap on the wrist, and it is "as you where" next season, it worked, but we still have to wait and see.

13 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

What will be your reaction come the next TV contract, if SL decide as Mr Leneghan quite publicly announced his desire to withdraw any funding from clubs below SL level?

I can see in your post that you are apportioning "looking after number one" at all levels, but if SL follows through with Mr Leneghan's desire that would be a tantamount to a "mass culling" in the second and third divisions.

You always seem to bring up this Lenagan thing when it comes to funding but I can’t say I can remember those quotes, so I googled it. I can’t really find much on what you say but did find this: 

“We’ve guaranteed promotion and relegation of one club from Championship, we’ve guaranteed funding to the Championship and League One at the same level until 2021 and at the same level after that if we get the same TV deal and a decent level otherwise.”

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby-league/changing-structure-crucial-whole-rugby-league-says-wigan-warriors-owner-lenagan-700262%3famp

I’m not sure what a “decent level otherwise” equates to though presumably that means lower than what the lower leagues get up to 2021. That said, I fully expect a lesser deal for Super League (nothing to do with this week’s news from Toronto) anyway, so the lower leagues will likely get less. 

Anyway, genuinely interested to read these Lenegan quotes and this wasn’t mean to have a dig at you either. 

10 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

The rest of the clubs would be part-time or amateur community clubs in their own divisions with promotion and relegation between those divisions. I know it sounds brutal but I don't see another way - you can't mix oil and water. 

So many will be livid at this idea. Whole game solutions only and P&R is required to make a sport British. You can't have a closed shop of 20 teams. Fans would walk away and never return once you get rid of the R in P&R.

They've all said so.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 hours ago, Kayakman said:

When I was boy I used to go down to the barn in the morning and the night to milk the cows....at the corner of the barn were two big silos and there was a sort of dead end corner that was like a trap...no escape.

Well one afternoon me and the golden retriever (Teddy) were down there and Teddy had cornered a chipmunk in the dead zone corner...every time that there chipmunk made a run for it Teddy would direct/chase him back into the corner and approach..that chipmunk would rear up and try for another escape but Teddy would drive him back into the corner.  I watched the whole thing unfold (Teddy was a great killer of rodents and groundhogs; the best I've ever seen).  Well Teddy was done foolin around and having fun so he went in for the kill....that chipmunk was stuck in a hard place, no where to turn, none to help him out...the end of his life was near.   The little ###### reared up as Teddy approached and bit him right in the nose...Teddy yelped and backed off and the little fella escaped....I hit the ground rollin and belly laughin and then Teddy came to me with a large chunk out of his nose and and man oh man was he bleeding.  Teddy had messed with the wrong chipmunk.

Teddy=SL

Chipmunk=Argyle

That is what they were trying to do.

I've understood the analogy but what specifically have they done in the last few weeks, to cause the chipmunk to bite so deep?

2 hours ago, roughyedspud said:

Bring back the regional cups for a quickfire comp in late Sept into Oct..have a groups then knockout format

Lancashire cup. 12 teams,3 groups of 4,winner of each group advances to the semis and the 4th team is the best runner up..

Teams and groups 

Leigh 

Oldham

swinton

Rochdale

------------------

Barrow

Whitehaven

Workington

Newcastle

-------------------

London 

Coventry 

North Wales

Widnes

Have a Yorkshire cup based on the same groups then knockout format..

You could have it all done in 6-8 week

Not for me, thanks anyway.

Archived