Leauge 1 season will not resume

town4me

I think it was on the cards that the season would be finished but I can’t quite understand how the rfl think they can run a comp at all. The costs involved in testing and other protocols would be exactly the same for this as it would have been for the league so can’t really see how that could work for a club like ours. Similarly now that Toronto have pulled out of super league and the challenge cup are they expecting Newcastle, who will presumably get a bye to the quarter finals, to put all procedures in place for potentially 1 game? Given the set of circumstances this year there was never going to be an easy solution but I don’t think this mini comp and the challenge cup have  been thought through too well. 
Let’s hope that with the hardworking directors and staff at our great club we can ride out the  current situation and comeback stronger next year. All I know is the start of super league is not going to replace the excitement of match day following your own club. UTT

testing must be finished, the fa have issued guidance that non league clubs can start full contact training from 31st July, friendlies in August, which danny g said on the town webcast he is finalising. the reserves already have a friendly lined up for 8th August so that tells me testing isn't required from the end of this month. its looking like our season will start 19th September with fans (lower leagues are the testing areas for the government) but it could possibly be with reduced capacity. 

As gutting as it is. It's the correct thing to do. To keep people safe and also to give clubs the best chance of coming through the other side.

We have good people at the club with the most loyal fan base you could wish for. Which makes me feel positive that we will survive all this.

The key question is when does next season start? February? Or do we bring it forward? 

On 21/07/2020 at 15:10, dkw said:

This came after the announcement that spectators wont be allowed back until October so it makes sense, theres no way on earth we can start up with zero income.

I would have paid the match fee to watch on line. Was that not a feasible option?

What about next season ? Are we gonna be in any different a place . I look at these events that have been deferred until next year and wonder what makes them think it’ll be ok then 

39 minutes ago, DavidM said:

What about next season ? Are we gonna be in any different a place . I look at these events that have been deferred until next year and wonder what makes them think it’ll be ok then 

I think sports stadiums are starting to open up on reduced capacities from october. Given our crowds i assume there should  be a chance of getting fans back but spread out for next season. Fingers crossed 

20 hours ago, town4me said:

I think sports stadiums are starting to open up on reduced capacities from october. Given our crowds i assume there should  be a chance of getting fans back but spread out for next season. Fingers crossed 

If we all spread out a bit more, we might tempt that guy back who rode his chopper up and down the popular side terrace in the mid eighties. 😱😱😱🤣🤣

22 hours ago, town4me said:

fans are allowed back into Borough Park from 5th September, not sure on numbers yet. Step 7 and below are allowed fans in now for pre season games. reds are at step 4. 

I would imagine providing no massive spike and 2nd wave surley town will be fine for next season?

As expected the club will not be taking part in the autumn competition. A very well worded statement  highlighting the huge difficulties in trying to navigate through these unprecedented times. I sincerely hope that come 2021 we are able to return to Derwent park and watch a competitive team on the field. Well done to the board of directors and all the volunteers  for keeping the club going and a huge shout out to those involved with fundraising particularly Scott Graham and the Derwent park supporters club and the travellers rest supporters club. I’ve got many great memories over the last 55 years supporting the town, hopefully there are many more to come. UTT

Archived