SAS Fox Memorial Premiership 2020

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

No other contributors seem interested in Auckland RL, but I am so what the heck.

Richmond are a club I particularly like. Their young side lost their first two games, though the scorelines looked competitive, then they were narrowly beaten away at top of the table Northcote in a game that could have gone either way, then they won their next two games including the one last weekend away at Pt Chev for which they would have started underdogs. And this week`s Round 6 game looks winnable.

This kind of pattern where individuals and team grow through a season is always rewarding to see. Captures something about the essence of RL.

Watched the Mangere East Vs Mt Albert game on YouTube. MT Albert to good there was a tall skinny guy in forwards with head gear who broke tackles at will at times dunno his name tho, 1st time I've seen Regan McLennan play looks like a good player. Aiden Ackland definitely looks like he could handle playing at a higher level, well spoken in post match interview as well. Good to Mangere did throw the towel in kept playing till the end and scored a few late tries.

Can't help but think Auckland Rugby League needs to hold Fox memorial game they are live streaming in boutique stadium to create some atmosphere, they need a facility like Canterbury's Nga Puna Wai ground.

3 hours ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

Watched the Mangere East Vs Mt Albert game on YouTube. MT Albert to good there was a tall skinny guy in forwards with head gear who broke tackles at will at times dunno his name tho, 1st time I've seen Regan McLennan play looks like a good player. Aiden Ackland definitely looks like he could handle playing at a higher level, well spoken in post match interview as well. Good to Mangere did throw the towel in kept playing till the end and scored a few late tries.

Can't help but think Auckland Rugby League needs to hold Fox memorial game they are live streaming in boutique stadium to create some atmosphere, they need a facility like Canterbury's Nga Puna Wai ground.

Watched last year’s GF at Mount Smart played as a curtain raiser to a Warriors’ game. No atmosphere whatsoever, understandably. The match, competition and sponsors deserve more.

rldfsignature.jpg

2 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

Watched last year’s GF at Mount Smart played as a curtain raiser to a Warriors’ game. No atmosphere whatsoever, understandably. The match, competition and sponsors deserve more.

Yeah I hear what your saying Mt smart number 2 not really good either for different reasons. They need somewhere like when Birkenhead war memorial had a stand, that game yesterday looked like a social park football team, because they were playing at a local park with no facilities except changing sheds

Only watched the first half so far. In the pre-game interviews, John Ackland said he was pleased with how the comp was shaping up, there were "7 or 8" competitive sides. Which, given that the Hawks are propping up the ladder, obviously didn`t include the team his boys were just about to face. Nice.

Huge game next week when the top two collide. Don`t know how far in advance the ARL determine which will be the livestream game.

12 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

9 hours ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

Yeah I hear what your saying Mt smart number 2 not really good either for different reasons. They need somewhere like when Birkenhead war memorial had a stand, that game yesterday looked like a social park football team, because they were playing at a local park with no facilities except changing sheds

It might be deceptive but the Sky feature on last year`s GF gave the impression of a better atmosphere than at Mt Smart 2 the year before. I would think the players and supporters would prefer to be at Mt Smart 1, which also afforded a better backdrop to the Sky TV coverage.

Aren`t the buildings to the left behind the goalposts the Hawks` clubrooms? If so, it`s not just an open playing field. The weakness of Walter Massey Park for livestreams is that there`s no natural hill or anything built facing the main camera.

I've only played at Mangeres ground once 25 years ago, all i remember was changing sheds on one side and other playing fields on the other. Could have been club rooms somewhere there can't remember long time ago tho, 

Yeah playing a grand final on the main ground at Mt Smart is better than number 2 ground as it's a grand final. Just that a crowd of 2000 or so is going to look empty & lack atmosphere in a 25,000 venue. 

Last Welli Grand Final I went to in 2018 there was a $5 cover charge, which is fair enough as it cost a couple of thousand to hire Porirua Park where the final was held. I would think Auckland the same only have a cover charge for the grand final, rest of seasons just played at local parks.

So do Auckland clubs run basically on sponsor’s money, any food and drink sales and player subs? Even the top level amateur clubs here can generate a few quid by charging at the gate. That will help cover at least some of the travel expenses which I assume is minimal in Auckland? Are clubs allowed to use gambling i.e. lotteries or the like, to raise any funds?

rldfsignature.jpg

6 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

So do Auckland clubs run basically on sponsor’s money, any food and drink sales and player subs? Even the top level amateur clubs here can generate a few quid by charging at the gate. That will help cover at least some of the travel expenses which I assume is minimal in Auckland? Are clubs allowed to use gambling i.e. lotteries or the like, to raise any funds?

In Auckland the Carlaw Park Heritage Trust makes annual grants to clubs, as well as club sponsors, revenue from food and drink at club rooms, also clubs can apply for Lotto grants and community gaming trust grants. Clubs also run raffles and fund raise to help pay bills.

21 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

Northcote this year seem to be one of those sides who find a way to win. Down the years, in all competitions, I`ve seen lots of teams like this who then find a way to lose the big game at the end of the year. You heard it here first.

Watching Rochelle Tamarua in the Hawks/Lions game got me thinking firstly how the NRL change to one ref has shunted Belinda Sharpe permanently (or at least for this year) to the touchline.

And secondly about how viable (in normal circumstances) it would be for a NZ based ref to be on the NRL roster. Henry Perenara, as far as I`m aware, lives in Aus. So apart from an occasional Warriors home game Touch Judge gig, there appears to be a glass ceiling for Kiwi officials.

4 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

This week`s livestream game is from Bert Henham Park. Someone`s been posting their own footage of Otahuhu games on YouTube. Possibly related to a Leopards` player to judge from the name of the channel. Some good atmosphere comes across, but you also get a sense of what the officials have to put up with.

The Roope Rooster is a curious trophy. You`d think they might treat it as a relic and leave it permanently with Te Atatu. When I played first-team cricket we had a booby-prize version which had to be carried around by the last person to drop a catch.

Warriors TV show on Sky tonight covered Warriors player who just returned from Australia Levaha Pulu, playing for Point Chev vs Howick in Fox Memorial last week. Guest for indigenous round was former Kiwi, Warrior and Storm player Wairangi Koopu who is a fluent Maori speaker, was really good to see him mention the Fox Memorial. That returning Warriors and NSW cup players are playing in the Fox Memorial this year and its the highest level of rugby league we have in the country and to get out and support it.

34 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

This week`s livestream game is from Bert Henham Park. Someone`s been posting their own footage of Otahuhu games on YouTube. Possibly related to a Leopards` player to judge from the name of the channel. Some good atmosphere comes across, but you also get a sense of what the officials have to put up with.

The Roope Rooster is a curious trophy. You`d think they might treat it as a relic and leave it permanently with Te Atatu. When I played first-team cricket we had a booby-prize version which had to be carried around by the last person to drop a catch.

Yes, there seems to be a couple of formats that involve trophies that are strange to us in the UK.

rldfsignature.jpg

1 hour ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

Warriors TV show on Sky tonight covered Warriors player who just returned from Australia Levaha Pulu, playing for Point Chev vs Howick in Fox Memorial last week. Guest for indigenous round was former Kiwi, Warrior and Storm player Wairangi Koopu who is a fluent Maori speaker, was really good to see him mention the Fox Memorial. That returning Warriors and NSW cup players are playing in the Fox Memorial this year and its the highest level of rugby league we have in the country and to get out and support it.

It`s a pity more of NZ Sky TV`s League coverage isn`t put up on Youtube. I`ve seen a few clips but never whole programmes.

Wairangi Koopu started at Taniwharau. I like that Taniwharau are fielding girls` teams in the Auckland 18s and 16s grades.( Hukunui also in the 18s). The Taniwharau 18s were last year`s premiers, so apart from helping themselves they`re an enhancement to ARL.

I think it`s sometimes been mooted that Waikato clubs should play in ARL. In the men`s it probably doesn`t make sense because of the effect on the teams left out, but for the developing female game it definitely does. I don`t know how onerous the extra travelling is (some of their games have 10am kick-offs), but in a few years time as these players come through the grades there could be several open-age women`s Waikato teams playing in ARL along with the junior grades.

9 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

It`s a pity more of NZ Sky TV`s League coverage isn`t put up on Youtube. I`ve seen a few clips but never whole programmes

Yeah it's hidden behind a paywall I wanted to see the kiwi league show as saw a few interesting clips from the show about the local game on youtube but never actually seen the show just managed to watch Warriors TV show for the 1st ever time this week.

9 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

I think it`s sometimes been mooted that Waikato clubs should play in ARL. In the men`s it probably doesn`t make sense because of the effect on the teams left out

I think barring some miraculous outside investment... the best chance of an NZ semi professional competition happening again is for the richer Fox memorial clubs like Pt Chev, Howick, Northcote, Papakura, Mt Albert and bigger provincial sides Like Canterbury, Wakato, Wellington to be put together in a NZ semi professional Competition. 

Archived