Where does Town Chairman/Board now stand on a new stadium?

REX

I read what bobG says on a nearby thread... "both clubs look to be in good hands. What a shame we haven't the new stadium for them to perform in"

And this has prompted me to start this thread. I would like to ask other fans if they know  what the Town BOD currently think about this issue?

I ask because, as reported not only in in the current Times & Star but also earlier in the online local paper, the Cumberland Echo (16 July), there is a  move by the  Reds Chairman to get the Council to abandon a new stadium in favour of a revamped Borough Park as the future shared stadium. In the Cumberland Echo the Reds Chairman seems to be implying that he can rely on Town support for  a "slimmed down up-grade to Borough Park" (made possible by a new long lease from Allerdale BC) as  the way forward, when he goes on to say that  “There is a great opportunity for us, and Workington Town if it happens.” For me this begs the question, why not an upgrade to Derwent Park as well if there is to be no new stadium?

I just want to give fans a chance to give their views on this. And to ask other fans whether they think that the Town Chairman should make a statement about what he thinks is in the long term interests of both clubs ?.

How can the BOD see how the future will go regarding the New Stadium  . When the new council  members cant even agree among themselves over issues , the Conservative are trying along with Labour  to oust the Independents ,who won the election . Total shambles .   

I've thought a revamped BP with a new 'main stand/change rooms/bar' was always the way to go? Thoroughly enjoyed our games there last season being that bit closer to the action. 

With the pandemic ripping through both non-league football and RL champ and L1. I'd say we need to see where both clubs will be going forward before any news on a stadium is decided?

1 hour ago, silverfox said:

How can the BOD see how the future will go regarding the New Stadium  . When the new council  members cant even agree among themselves over issues , the Conservative are trying along with Labour  to oust the Independents ,who won the election . Total shambles .   

its unbelievable isn't it, both of the big 2 took a hammering and instead of taking it on the chin have joined forces to oust the winners.

its also just happened in copland as well. the independent mayor has jumped to tory and sacked the Labour executive.

We've got a stadium, so have the Reds, lets concentrate on the survival of our respective clubs before we think of anything new. I'd think the recovery of our local & national economy will need to come first! Some pubs probably won't reopen, businesses may close & we may lose our wonderful little theatre venue, put our efforts into the survival of these things before we even think of a stadium in these unprecedented times. I just want to get back to see Town & Reds again in our historic little grounds (for now)!

As a Reds fan i want to see the best possible facilities for both clubs, with todays financial market a joint stadium in the future would make sense.   The last 18 months have been an absolute shambles, to many personal and political agendas.

I was disappointed to read that Reds chairman prefers a revamped Borough park,apart from good terracing on three sides the ground is in a poor structural condition.   Excellent work by volunteers at Reds and Town is on going but you only patch up so long.

Last night's Allerdale council meeting proved to me we are back to square one.   Reds request for 75 year lease was rejected.

Watch the attached link from last nights meeting .         The stadium topic starts 18 minutes in.

https://youtu.be/tPTnaSXMzY4

6 hours ago, Red Arrow said:

As a Reds fan i want to see the best possible facilities for both clubs, with todays financial market a joint stadium in the future would make sense.   The last 18 months have been an absolute shambles, to many personal and political agendas.

I was disappointed to read that Reds chairman prefers a revamped Borough park,apart from good terracing on three sides the ground is in a poor structural condition.   Excellent work by volunteers at Reds and Town is on going but you only patch up so long.

Last night's Allerdale council meeting proved to me we are back to square one.   Reds request for 75 year lease was rejected.

Watch the attached link from last nights meeting .         The stadium topic starts 18 minutes in.

https://youtu.be/tPTnaSXMzY4

I have just watched the link, if anyone has time to watch it please do, what a fiasco it is, better than Coronation street that's for sure, I can't wait for the next one 😆

Looking to the future it's possible to see that  those Councillors who voted against the long lease idea ( spoiler alert!)  have  achieved a good outcome ..... amidst the politics, the gist of the decision is that sufficient progress has been made in moving forward the Sports Village scheme to believe that it still stands a good chance of happening . After all we're talking here about what's best for both clubs for decades to come and for generations to come.

21 hours ago, Hate the rec said:

I have just watched the link, if anyone has time to watch it please do, what a fiasco it is, better than Coronation street that's for sure, I can't wait for the next one 😆

Unfortunately I’ve just watched the link. Whilst you should never criticise something that you haven’t done yourself, it doesn’t fill me with a great deal of confidence when you see that, not just for progression of the stadium but for everyday vital services. I will be very interested to see what develops with the stadium especially as it appeared from comments made that 2 of those against it last year couldn’t be bothered to meet with a stadium company rep who’d travelled up from Brighton for a meeting re the supposed new sports village. That to me doesn’t sound like a council committed to providing new facilities. I think personal agendas and political conflict will prevent the borough of Allerdale supporting their local teams even though the long term benefits would be there for all to see. I hope I’m wrong. 

glad i didnt watch the link! a shared stadium is a must, not wait & see. make sure its a venue that can be used every evening also. its times like this you need to be adventurous & "go for it", everyone wins. astro pitch can be used 7 days a week. another earner.

Tough viewing that! Seem to be further away than ever.

Hindsight is wonderful. And the previous proposal for a new stadium, with office space for NHS/Sellafield would have proved to be a successful one now. With Sellafield/NHS looking to relocate staff due to the current pandemic. 

In a time when both clubs seem to be on the up, poor facilities could well scupper both clubs ambitions to climb the leagues

10 hours ago, townie88 said:

Tough viewing that! Seem to be further away than ever.

Hindsight is wonderful. And the previous proposal for a new stadium, with office space for NHS/Sellafield would have proved to be a successful one now. With Sellafield/NHS looking to relocate staff due to the current pandemic. 

In a time when both clubs seem to be on the up, poor facilities could well scupper both clubs ambitions to climb the leagues

At least one of the councillors who spoke had done some research. He highlighted the Halliwell Jones Stadium as an example of how to do it because of the nhs and other bodies renting office space. Just as was going to happen with the new stadium. I think narrow minded political self interest has blighted what would have been a tremendous asset for the area. Instead of looking from the outside in at the recent World Cup fixtures we would have been planning for 3 games and the associated economic benefits for the whole area. Given the current situation that would have been an absolute godsend. 

1 hour ago, IanMac said:

At least one of the councillors who spoke had done some research. He highlighted the Halliwell Jones Stadium as an example of how to do it because of the nhs and other bodies renting office space. Just as was going to happen with the new stadium. I think narrow minded political self interest has blighted what would have been a tremendous asset for the area. Instead of looking from the outside in at the recent World Cup fixtures we would have been planning for 3 games and the associated economic benefits for the whole area. Given the current situation that would have been an absolute godsend. 

Pity his research wasn't a token gesture , he would have known the Halliwell had been visited at least on one occasion, another example of people voting on huge decisions without any knowledge or Idea of the facts.

4 minutes ago, snoopdog said:

Pity his research wasn't a token gesture , he would have known the Halliwell had been visited at least on one occasion, another example of people voting on huge decisions without any knowledge or Idea of the facts.

Unfortunately I don’t think knowledge or facts will have played a part in any decision that has been made with regard to the stadium. 

Archived