SUPER LEAGUE 1/2 PERFECT SCENARIO

OK everyone (I might ruffle a few feathers here)

I would have a 2 division super league (12 teams in each)

*  Super 8,s the end of every year  

*  New Super League clubs apply for Super League 2 (And are ring fenced for 3 seasons)

*  League 1 becomes the championship (Winners can apply for SL 2 status subject to conditions)

* SL 2 could expand to 14 clubs over a period of 3 years)]

*  League 1 becomes Championship (New development clubs and traditional) 

*  New TV deal shows BOTH divisions (Proportion of monies to be agreed for SL2 clubs)

* Abolish the salary cap (It deters investment) any club going bust is relegated to League 1 and starts again

The above system keeps everyone happy SO WHAT if a big club goes down they can invest to go straight back up again.

COME ON LETS DO IT:)

Paul

It doesn't sound much different to what we had with just a different name. Sticking Super in the name instead of the Championship doesn't equate to a TV deal or if it does any decent money.

The game doesn't have the money to properly do anymore than it currently does. Super League attracts the TV money and having a sub standard competition to better fund the Championship, or your renamed Super League 2, just diminishes Super League and what Sky pay for.

51 minutes ago, Damien said:

It doesn't sound much different to what we had with just a different name. Sticking Super in the name instead of the Championship doesn't equate to a TV deal or if it does any decent money.

The game doesn't have the money to properly do anymore than it currently does. Super League attracts the TV money and having a sub standard competition to better fund the Championship, or your renamed Super League 2, just diminishes Super League and what Sky pay for.

I disagree Damian sponsorship wise its a better sell and keeps everyone on side otherwise the game will continue to be divided for years and will go nowhere.

7 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

I disagree Damian sponsorship wise its a better sell and keeps everyone on side otherwise the game will continue to be divided for years and will go nowhere.

I disagree, changing a name to Super League 2 does nothing. It's a tarted up Championship that people would see right through. Most people didnt like the Super 8s either.

There is nothing Super about clubs at the bottom of the Championship getting £100k as at the moment. The only way such a concept works is some sort of near parity, which doesnt work without destroying the top flight and destroying the very thing Sky pay the big money for. Even fans of the top Championship clubs moan at suggestions of parity with the smaller clubs towards the bottom at the moment. 

2 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

The above system keeps everyone happy

Good luck with that.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Damien said:

I disagree, changing a name to Super League 2 does nothing. It's a tarted up Championship that people would see right through. Most people didnt like the Super 8s either.

There is nothing Super about clubs at the bottom of the Championship getting £100k as at the moment. The only way such a concept works is some sort of near parity, which doesnt work without destroying the top flight and destroying the very thing Sky pay the big money for. Even fans of the top Championship clubs moan at suggestions of parity with the smaller clubs towards the bottom at the moment. 

I like the 8 s 😉

1 hour ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

OK I agree to disagree however all it will do is divide the game for years to come and stop investment + make 50% of the matches  a complete waste of time for clubs and players 😞

Super 8 was SUPER GREAT 4ME:)

I have come around to the S8 concept, in hindsight! !!!

It might come in a few years time if we get a few more overseas clubs on board, otherwise we're going to get some disappointed sitting tenants who will have to make way for them? 

If all the Super League money and Championship money was split equally 24 ways each club would get barely £1 million each.

If the split was slightly more unequal SL1 would get £1.25 million and this proposed SL2 would get £750k each.

Anything else isn't drastically different than what we have now. Either way you are looking at a very poor Super League, even more players going to the NRL and more players going to RU. All making it less attractive to sell to Sky who will probably pay less.

8 minutes ago, Steve Slater said:

It might come in a few years time if we get a few more overseas clubs on board, otherwise we're going to get some disappointed sitting tenants who will have to make way for them? 

They don't think that far, joined up strategy is beyond them

Super 8s would have been better having 11 phase 1 matches (5 Home & 5 Away + MW / Summer Bash per Club) playing each opponent in League of 12 once. Then having 14 Games, a double round robin in the S8 phase. Would have only been 25 Games instead of overkill of 30 b4 playoffs / MPG. Season Tickets should have covered all 25 Games both phases. 

I think a lot depends firstly how much money the new TV contract will be.

I personally think there will be a Super League”Elite”and a Super League”Championship”division(s)with I think 10 clubs in each division. And they will be the ones who will get all the funding from any new TV deal which I am led to believe will be much less than what it is now.

1 minute ago, Robthegasman said:

I personally think there will be a Super League”Elite”and a Super League”Championship”division(s)with I think 10 clubs in each division. And they will be the ones who will get all the funding from any new TV deal which I am led to believe will be much less than what it is now.

Can you say what has led you to believe that any new TV deal will be much less than what it is now?

I didn’t get past “two divisions...” to be honest but I can hazard a guess that, looking at the poster, this is a lower league fan, who is normally appalled at the calls/thought of Super League becoming a “closed shop” pulling the drawbridge up and taking a larger percentage of whatever the TV money is, suggesting that we ring fence Super League and a handful of lower league teams, normally deemed “the most ambitious”, including the one he supports, and in the process, taking a large chunk of the money that is normally allocated across the lower leagues and spreading it between those dining at the expanded top table. 

1 hour ago, Big Picture said:

Can you say what has led you to believe that any new TV deal will be much less than what it is now?

I am only going off what I have heard suggested from various people over the last couple of years.

6 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

This. Any restructuring depends on what’s on the table.

In division terms there isn't too much difference in Rugby League and Rugby Union in England. Other than the attendances and the clubs liquidity at the top of the game. The main comp for club rugby union is European cup not domestic division or Cup.

They put out a reserve team for their domestic cup competition. 

They have 12 professional full time teams and the P&R where virtually always the team going down comes straight back up as the league below struggles to keep up with the relegated team from the season before who win 95-100% of matches. But if you look at the standard of stadia other than the top 3 capacity of above 25,000 with Leicester being the only one built originally for Rugby Union above 25,000 the rest aren't the best and Rugby League even groundshares with 2 of them, the areas that some are located help as they are able to charge £50+ for their premium ticket price. But it screams that better managed at the top we could match them. 

They have a 12 team championship and 16 team 3rd tier with major difference is that teams yo-yo between leagues but even their championship is struggling funding wise. The owner of Ealing constantly is seen in the press moaning about the RFU as a closed shop at the top of the game, some of the clubs in the. Championship are part time or effectively a reserve side of a Premiership team. When we moan about restructure we couldn't go far wrong in expanding our game in the UK and investing in UK teams. Newcastle and especially Cumbrian teams need to top that list 

Archived