Leeds Rhinos

Not being a football fan by any stretch of the imagination and not interested enough to read anything, I have just been watching the lunchtime news and learned of the promotion of Leeds United to the Premiership, does any of the Rhino's fan's think that it could effect the attendances at Headingley?

Just interested to know if there is any concern.

I think the football club gets its fans from a wider base covering cas, wakey and many more place's, the Rhino's are mainly from leeds and the other areas have their own rugby clubs to follow. 

7 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Not being a football fan by any stretch of the imagination and not interested enough to read anything, I have just been watching the lunchtime news and learned of the promotion of Leeds United to the Premiership, does any of the Rhino's fan's think that it could effect the attendances at Headingley?

The Apostrophe society will be most concerned I feel 😉

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 minute ago, Blind side johnny said:

Aye pretty good discussion of it in this thread @Harry Stottle 

In short, Rhinos don't lose fans out of this. That the club did not take advantage of Leeds United going through their worst run ever whilst Rhinos were going through their most successful period suggests to me they'll be basically unchanged.

Leeds as a city will get greater publicity which is a benefit.

9 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Aye pretty good discussion of it in this thread @Harry Stottle 

In short, Rhinos don't lose fans out of this. That the club did not take advantage of Leeds United going through their worst run ever whilst Rhinos were going through their most successful period suggests to me they'll be basically unchanged.

Leeds as a city will get greater publicity which is a benefit.

What I was eluding to and again sorry for my ignorance of the subject, what is say the average entry fee into Elland Road, added to getting into Headingley would I be correct in thinking for most it would be one or the other?

PS it is not like Hull and Wigan when those towns had Premiership teams, they shared the same ground so could not have fixture clashes, but being in different stadia if there is a fixture clash when the seasons overlap is what I mean.

As Leeds’ fair weather fans (who will all claim there were at every away game in League One, like Man City’s do) will all flock back to Elland Road, the ground will be full so other people who want live sport will still go to Headingley. 

Leeds United have been selling Elland Road out consistently for the last two years at least, and probably longer back than that (I CBA looking up the numbers), so any Leeds, Wakefield or Castleford fans that have ideas of sacking in their rugby tickets for football ones will have to join the back of the queue. 

Leeds were getting good crowds whilst United were last in the Premier League and I doubt United returning will have much effect. The clubs get their audiences from quite different markets and as others have suggested, any impact could be more acutely felt by Castleford or Wakefield than it is at Headingley.  

It does mean that Leeds might have to work harder for column inches and media exposure locally, but healthy competition is good competition in that respect. 

19 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

What I was eluding to and again sorry for my ignorance of the subject, what is say the average entry fee into Elland Road, added to getting into Headingley would I be correct in thinking for most it would be one or the other?

PS it is not like Hull and Wigan when those towns had Premiership teams, they shared the same ground so could not have fixture clashes, but being in different stadia if there is a fixture clash when the seasons overlap is what I mean.

Tbf Harry LUFC have been at to or close to capacity for 2 years under the current management. There have been fixture clashes during that time that haven't noticeably affected either.

You're not going to get anyone saying the rhinos are doomed and our crowds will suffer. Not genuinely anyway. Its just not the case.

26 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Tommy.... Didn't they win a million SL titles in that time.... They didn't too bad

Yes, and yet our presence in the city has dropped/stagnated. Ask most Leeds fans on this board they'll tell you the same.

• John Drake changed the title to Leeds Rhinos
3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

No concern from me Harry I think they will go straight back down like Norwich have.

It could help Rugby League in the city of Leeds so to speak, as hopefully Leeds United develop their ground with money received from going up, increasing capacity or new seats etc which when Elland Road is used on the odd occasion for World Cups, England and one off Rhinos games might be a better matchday experience. 

4 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Weve had this conversation on another thread ,but here goes. Leeds United their stadium holds now 37 K and for last few years they have been averaging over 30 k last two years they have averaged 35k . Leeds RL crowds in 2004 and 05 they had 17k which later settled down to 16, then a healthy 15 k including the relegation battles. The jury is still out on how they're going to do after the redevelopment we haven't had a full season of the ground being fully open . Leeds like all RL clubs have a job on their hands attracting crowds back after the big lockdown even town and city centres seem quiet A city the size of Leeds normally has two soccer clubs . The only thing that will affect Leeds RL crowds will be a sustained losing slump ,but I am concerned about people coming back into the habit of watching from the stadiums after the lockdown 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

58 minutes ago, HarrogateKnights said:

It could help Rugby League in the city of Leeds so to speak, as hopefully Leeds United develop their ground with money received from going up, increasing capacity or new seats etc which when Elland Road is used on the odd occasion for World Cups, England and one off Rhinos games might be a better matchday experience. 

Talk is the Rhinos are interested in the training ground complex Leeds are wanting to build too.

10 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Talk is the Rhinos are interested in the training ground complex Leeds are wanting to build too.

Well another flood could be curtains for Kirkstall 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

I don't know, but are there generally good relations between the clubs? It certainly seems like there's no overt hostility. If they work together, it could benefit both sides.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

15 hours ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

Weve had this conversation on another thread ,but here goes. Leeds United their stadium holds now 37 K and for last few years they have been averaging over 30 k last two years they have averaged 35k . Leeds RL crowds in 2004 and 05 they had 17k which later settled down to 16, then a healthy 15 k including the relegation battles. The jury is still out on how they're going to do after the redevelopment we haven't had a full season of the ground being fully open . Leeds like all RL clubs have a job on their hands attracting crowds back after the big lockdown even town and city centres seem quiet A city the size of Leeds normally has two soccer clubs . The only thing that will affect Leeds RL crowds will be a sustained losing slump ,but I am concerned about people coming back into the habit of watching from the stadiums after the lockdown 

I guess we will see how good their marketing and advertising teams are.

I'd  have thought a promotional package of some sort would be key... that is very attractive to the target audience

On 23/07/2020 at 13:36, Harry Stottle said:

When united were at their nadir i think quite a few fans were attracted to Headingley. They provided a good part of the noisy element in the South Stand and as far as I know behaved themselves.

I guess we will lose these permanently as they seem to have left early season

48 minutes ago, John Rhino said:

When united were at their nadir i think quite a few fans were attracted to Headingley. They provided a good part of the noisy element in the South Stand and as far as I know behaved themselves.

I guess we will lose these permanently as they seem to have left early season

A price increase for the Rhinos fans?. This to pay off the massive hospitality debt.

Archived