2021 squad

phildog

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brearley went to Widnes didn't he Rog? Fax won't have a team! Murrell, Hirst, Tyrer and Brearley gone, one other I seem to remember gone abroad. Thing is what's ours going to look like, need some better recruitment, but everybody'll come out with the usual 'can't afford'. Ambition anyone?

Three more to add to the list of departing Halifax players, Reece Chapman Smith, Jodie Broughton and Tommy Lee.

I can't understand what is going off there, most of the top earners have been released, but they bring in Robinson from York who I cannot imagine left for less money.

Brierley . J downs and Sam wood all huge losses to us. Season before

Dicko no great loss as looked the part but maybe too bulky.

Scotty even at 80% was very very decent.

Fax aren't releasing for the sake comes to cuts surely

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

15 hours ago, phildog said:

Brearley went to Widnes didn't he Rog? Fax won't have a team! Murrell, Hirst, Tyrer and Brearley gone, one other I seem to remember gone abroad. Thing is what's ours going to look like, need some better recruitment, but everybody'll come out with the usual 'can't afford'. Ambition anyone?

RL contracts run to the end of November. Given that the SL reserves league has been scrapped for 2021 and plenty of clubs will be tightening their belts I reckon that there will be a lot of players available before too long.

Don't panic Phil.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

10 hours ago, DOGFATHER said:

Three more to add to the list of departing Halifax players, Reece Chapman Smith, Jodie Broughton and Tommy Lee.

I can't understand what is going off there, most of the top earners have been released, but they bring in Robinson from York who I cannot imagine left for less money.

Also, Fleming to Cas. 😃

2 hours ago, Ainley Top said:

Also, Fleming to Cas. 😃

I always hoped we had signed him after his DR/loan stint with us, but he  hasn't really seemed to fulfil his promise whenever I've seen him since.

Has the Robinson rumour been confirmed Ainley, or was it just more of the usual tripe in the rugby papers? 

I can understand offloading the highest wage earners under the circumstances if you are facing financial problems, but to sign then him seems to be undoing what you are trying to achieve. 

48 minutes ago, DOGFATHER said:

I always hoped we had signed him after his DR/loan stint with us, but he  hasn't really seemed to fulfil his promise whenever I've seen him since.

Has the Robinson rumour been confirmed Ainley, or was it just more of the usual tripe in the rugby papers? 

I can understand offloading the highest wage earners under the circumstances if you are facing financial problems, but to sign then him seems to be undoing what you are trying to achieve. 

Robinson not confirmed yet although it seems a done deal. As for the clear out all I can say is the players who are departing were, on the whole, part of the team responsible for an 8th place finish in the 2nd division and that is just not good enough for Fax I believe. 

38 minutes ago, Ainley Top said:

Robinson not confirmed yet although it seems a done deal. As for the clear out all I can say is the players who are departing were, on the whole, part of the team responsible for an 8th place finish in the 2nd division and that is just not good enough for Fax I believe. 

I sincerely hope that turns out to be the case. From the outside it looks a bit like a fire sale currently.

On 05/08/2020 at 11:32, redditchbulldog said:

to be fair a great player but very injury prone now

Murrell? Check his appearence record at Fax, that is not one of an injury prone player. He will rip it up in League 1.

Edit: Posted before reading Ainley Top's comment. Nearly spat my coffee out reading the original comment. 🙂

22 hours ago, DOGFATHER said:

We needed a freshen up and have probably needed it for a couple of seasons to be fair. As good as Murrell has been for us Im happy with our half backs for next season. Same goes for Tyrer, he's been really good for us but the last couple of seasons if we had competition for places I doubt he would have been a dead cert for selection each week. Again Im happy with the players we will have in the centres next year. Not fussed in the slightest about losing Fleming to Cas, Im really not sure what they are thinking with that signing but I would have been happy to keep Hirst as I thought he did a decent job for us at least better than Fleming. In all likelyhood we will be spending less on the squad than we have for a number of seasons but look like we should still be hovering around the top 5 but its a squad that could stay largely together for a number of seasons.

40 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

We needed a freshen up and have probably needed it for a couple of seasons to be fair. As good as Murrell has been for us Im happy with our half backs for next season. Same goes for Tyrer, he's been really good for us but the last couple of seasons if we had competition for places I doubt he would have been a dead cert for selection each week. Again Im happy with the players we will have in the centres next year. Not fussed in the slightest about losing Fleming to Cas, Im really not sure what they are thinking with that signing but I would have been happy to keep Hirst as I thought he did a decent job for us at least better than Fleming. In all likelyhood we will be spending less on the squad than we have for a number of seasons but look like we should still be hovering around the top 5 but its a squad that could stay largely together for a number of seasons.

Agreed except for Hirst. What people see in him I really don't know. Most clubs will be cost cutting now and if they're not they must have a very good crystal ball as splashing out for next year when nobody knows what the future holds could turn out to be very foolhardy. 

Thanks for the info both. I feared the worst, when I saw the cuts.

As previously stated in the thread, Hirst is a bit of a subtle one. You see the size of him and you would expect him to batter his way through defenses like Fui Fui Moimoi in his pomp, but he doesn't. He sucks defenders in and plays the ball freakishly quickly for a guy of his size creating gaps the defence, he's also a very good pack leader. I sincerely hope the rumours turn out to be true. He will be a good replacement for the injury prone Dickinson who has gone to Sheffield.

I'm also hoping we can pick a few promising Sl academy lads up with blistering pace since they have decided to scrap the league for now, there should be a few available.

Keegan is a born leader, up front in all he does. You get players who only really shine at one club, Alex Brown, for all his detractors, was one for us, Keegan is another. As said above, he's deceptive in getting the ball away and he does make breaks to get in positions to offload. I'll be suited if he comes back, more so if he's made captain again, he won't tolerate anybody not putting in a shift.

6 minutes ago, phildog said:

Keegan is a born leader, up front in all he does. You get players who only really shine at one club, Alex Brown, for all his detractors, was one for us, Keegan is another. As said above, he's deceptive in getting the ball away and he does make breaks to get in positions to offload. I'll be suited if he comes back, more so if he's made captain again, he won't tolerate anybody not putting in a shift.

KH never broke the line once for Fax. Granted he draws the defence in and has good hands but for someone his size he should do so much more. No loss at all for me.

Archived