18 hours ago, The Rocket said:

That was quite bizarre. I backed off straight away, as you can see by the above post and thought I was very conciliatory and then he came after me.

When I analysed my initial post and my actual thoughts on the topic I realized that, you know, he was probably right. I let it go.

17 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

There’s a reason I no longer post in the General Forum. It’s the world politics that get dragged Into too many threads when it’s just not necessary. 

It`s all just handbags these days. Bring back the verbal Biff!

"Man is a political animal", said Greek philosopher Peter V`landys.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Bring back the verbal Biff!

"And with that, the most extraordinary thing happened. Mrs Poulteney`s mouth fell open."

Now I am not going to tell what part of the book that was , because I have quoted it incorrectly, poetic license.

Just to maintain some faint relevance to the thread, I am assuming that you have just mouthed the word  " O " just as the she did.

The "Big O" was recently reunited with "King Wally" on TV. Wonder which of these two distinguished former Rugby League Footballers was more likely to use terms like "Pom", "Pommie", "Pommie B######"?  More research is needed.

I saw that, genuine warmth between the two, especially the banter about who owed whom what.

The answer to your question would have to be the Gentleman Wally, in fact I think I have heard him say it. Said ,of course , in King Wally`s touchingly disarming manner. It`s hard to believe now how much we hated him. Despite the vitriol, I can honestly say I never joined in the " Wally`s a ###### " chant.

4 hours ago, The Rocket said:

"And with that, the most extraordinary thing happened. Mrs Poulteney`s mouth fell open."

Now I am not going to tell what part of the book that was , because I have quoted it incorrectly, poetic license.

Just to maintain some faint relevance to the thread, I am assuming that you have just mouthed the word  " O " just as the she did.

Having to resort to scrambled defence on this. Literally can`t remember whether I`ve read that one, certainly seen the film, and things can get blurred as decades wind on and bewilderment kicks in.

I`ve launched a number of recondite allusions in your direction so I can`t complain. So far I`ve been mildly impressed by your stock of erudition. Perhaps things are more sophisticated than I thought down there on the edge of civilisation.

BTW, do Aussies spell the noun "licence" the American way? In your Queen`s English spelling (otherwise known as correct spelling), "license" is a verb.

4 hours ago, The Rocket said:

I saw that, genuine warmth between the two, especially the banter about who owed whom what.

The answer to your question would have to be the Gentleman Wally, in fact I think I have heard him say it. Said ,of course , in King Wally`s touchingly disarming manner. It`s hard to believe now how much we hated him. Despite the vitriol, I can honestly say I never joined in the " Wally`s a ###### " chant.

Good to have that question cleared up. No shih-tzu, Sherlock.

Lot of people here were disappointed Wally didn`t tour with the Kangaroos in 1990. A warm welcome awaited.

25 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Literally can`t remember whether I`ve read that one

I will be providing further clues when I can find something suitably obscure, my fine feathered friend.

30 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Perhaps things are more sophisticated than I thought down there on the edge of civilisation

Not around here their not. If I spoke like I wrote on here down at the saleyards  there would be riot.

37 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

BTW, do Aussies spell the noun "licence" the American way? In your Queen`s English spelling (otherwise known as correct spelling), "license" is a verb.

U.P. I just spell it the way I think it is, some times `spell-check` comes up and I have to start second guessing myself and then it often really is a lottery.

50 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Having to resort to scrambled defence on this. Literally can`t remember whether I`ve read that one, certainly seen the film, and things can get blurred as decades wind on and bewilderment kicks in.

I`ve launched a number of recondite allusions in your direction so I can`t complain. So far I`ve been mildly impressed by your stock of erudition. Perhaps things are more sophisticated than I thought down there on the edge of civilisation.

For some reason the Aussies have binned the Queen’s English for the Trump version.

rldfsignature.jpg

32 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

I will be providing further clues when I can find something suitably obscure, my fine feathered friend.

Not around here their not. If I spoke like I wrote on here down at the saleyards  there would be riot.

U.P. I just spell it the way I think it is, some times `spell-check` comes up and I have to start second guessing myself and then it often really is a lottery.

It really pains me to have to do this, and I`m aware that solecisms can be committed in keyboard haste.

"Not around here their not". - "Not around here they`re not".

Sounds broadly the same, and as you say the folks down at the "saleyards" probably wouldn`t notice. But here in England, we repelled an Armada, Napoleon, and fought two world wars to defend our language, our culture, our way of life. Never in the field of human... well, you get the point.

1 minute ago, deluded pom? said:

Not fake at all. Try looking at some Australian newspaper articles. Recognize, categorize, favor, behavior etc. etc.

I was pulling your leg, I was going to put a smiley face after it to let you know, but I hate those things and only use them when I want to be absolutely certain I don`t offend someone. I thought I`d take a risk with you.

25 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

I was pulling your leg, I was going to put a smiley face after it to let you know, but I hate those things and only use them when I want to be absolutely certain I don`t offend someone. I thought I`d take a risk with you.

Interactive delusion.

11 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

You are getting closer and closer.

I`m deluded too. Closer to what?

50 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

I’ll be more offended if you post something in jest that comes across as being genuine.

rldfsignature.jpg

16 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

I’ll be more offended if you post something in jest that comes across as being genuine.

How will I let you know If I am joking, I refuse to use that `LOL` business.

I`ll give you the tip. I am never serious when I am talking about anything, except Rugby League.

17 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

I`m deluded

A rare public admission.

I don`t know if you do or maybe have aspirations to hold public office,  but that quote may well be used against you.

3 hours ago, The Rocket said:

A rare public admission.

I don`t know if you do or maybe have aspirations to hold public office,  but that quote may well be used against you.

Still not clarifying what it was I was getting closer to by referencing an Armada. Reading again those previous posts I have a lurking suspicion, but I could be wrong and I don`t want to cause offence.

BTW, I assume everybody down at the saleyards wears hats with corks dangling. Including the Sheilas.

Still not clarifying what it was I was getting closer to by referencing an Armada. Reading again those previous posts I have a lurking suspicion, but I could be wrong and I don`t want to cause offence.

BTW, I assume everybody down at the saleyards wears hats with corks dangling. Including the Sheilas.

I love a mystery my self. But I will put you of your misery .I remember you referencing John Fowles, so I quoted a line about Mrs Poulteney, you said you didn`t remember where you had heard it, I used the line `fine, feathered friend` that was John Fowles, then you mentioned the `Armada` which gets a mention in the opening page of ........The French Lieutenant`s Woman. So I suspect that  your lurking suspicion is misguided. I really do need to get out more.

Great result for the Warriors tonight, and I thought Herbie Farnsworth was sterling for the Broncos again. Another like him and you`ve got two centres for WC next year.

50 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

I love a mystery my self. But I will put you of your misery .I remember you referencing John Fowles, so I quoted a line about Mrs Poulteney, you said you didn`t remember where you had heard it, I used the line `fine, feathered friend` that was John Fowles, then you mentioned the `Armada` which gets a mention in the opening page of ........The French Lieutenant`s Woman. So I suspect that  your lurking suspicion is misguided. I really do need to get out more.

Great result for the Warriors tonight, and I thought Herbie Farnsworth was sterling for the Broncos again. Another like him and you`ve got two centres for WC next year.

Couple of problems with the Warriors winning games. First, the more of their Kiwi players who return home the more their squad commensurately fills with Aussies, and I`m nervous what conclusions could be drawn from that. Second, every time they win I start looking at the draw and wondering if they might string a few together and make a run at the finals. That hope usually lasts roughly a week.

On reflection, pretty sure I haven`t read FLW, just seen the film. So you do have that advantage. Although I could have stood in a bookshop and skimmed through passages. Something I did a lot of in younger, impecunious days.

And yes, I have completely underestimated you. I thought there might be a conflation of Napoleon with French Lieutenant. Was even pondering whether you thought the Armada was French. This is the other side of the world, after all.

BTW, do Aussies pronounce the phantom F in "lieutenant", or is this another instance of you succumbing to the simplistic American approach? (as in lieutenant Colombo).

Extra BTW, when you`ve finished reading "The Big O", I`ll send you my copy of Germaine`s "The Female O". Let me know how you get on.

20 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

BTW, do Aussies pronounce the phantom F in "lieutenant", or is this another instance of you succumbing to the simplistic American approach? (as in lieutenant Colombo).

Just one more thing ,if you don`t mind ,  No `fs` in lieutenant , how did that F ever get in there?

And as far as me thinking that TFLW was some potboiler about Bonie`s Mistress.....I am not sure If I`m not offended.

Archived