Championship/L1 restart numbers

The return of sepctators will be eaerlier than October,  with the Premier League Soccer returning on 11th September, County Cricket clubs wanting spectators at the T20 blast and the RFU trying to see as many corporate tickets for internationals as possible - Money talks.

That said it will not be many in attendance,  the trial is at the Oval tomorrow for members only so have a read and work out how this will affect you when Your Rugby League club also opens the doors to a select few season ticket holders

https://www.kiaoval.com/main-news/middlesex-friendly-attendance-guide/

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if I'm reading rules for oval trial correctly then if applied to Rugby grounds in same way will mean standing terraces totally closed. Seating will have every alternate row closed completely and 2 vacant seats between occupied ones. Worst case is every occupied seat is a single supporter from a household meaning seating capacity will be 1/8th of normal. gets a bit better if a few people from a household/social bubble attend together as then they can sit in a block without the 2 seat gaps between them increasing capacity bit. Would imagine seating capacity at most championship ground is between 2k-5k so allowed attendances between 250 and 625ish worst case. At those sort of levels suspect it getting close to point where cost of stewarding would outweigh financial benefits of allowing crowds in. Suspect most clubs will restrict it to season ticket holders as a way to give them some value for their season tickets, in hopes they wont as for a refund for the year. 

13 minutes ago, matt newsholme said:

if I'm reading rules for oval trial correctly then if applied to Rugby grounds in same way will mean standing terraces totally closed

Not sure that’s right: 

‘Where allocated seating is not possible, seating or standing plans should be developed which maintain SD, with clear demarcation of the seats or standing areas which spectators can and cannot use

’All individuals and groups within seated or standing areas should maintain current SD with other individuals and/or other groups and/or within groups of two household.’

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-guidance-on-phased-return-of-sport-and-recreation/elite-sport-return-to-competition-safe-return-of-spectators

Further to my last post, the SGSA’s draft guidance states a socially distanced density of 12.5 people per 10 square metres would be acceptable for a standing terrace. https://sgsa.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/SG02-Planning-for-social-distancing-at-sports-grounds.pdf

The current maximum for non-SD is 47 people per 10 square metres, so 12.5 people would be 26.5% of maximum capacity. 

My question would be what is going to change between now and October to make this competition more viable than completing the regular season. If the rationale for not completing the current season is cost of testing etc then the likelihood is that the cost will be still there in October. Will we have an effective vaccine, possibly but I doubt we will have the 90% plus uptake needed to get the immunity required in the general population. Then let’s throw in the normal flu season where you are going to have flu around with the same symptoms as coronavirus around putting more pressure on testing because it’s the best way of telling the difference. In short if we can’t finish the regular season then I can’t see anyway we can have this competition.

Stop kicking the can down the road.Championship and L 1 must pull the plug on the season now.What is the use playing meaningless games with no chance of promotion.Let the players have a rest they may repay us in future having rested minor injuries and niggles this lockdowm may have added a couple of years to some of the older players careers.

To my knowledge, which I would be pleased to have corrected, only two clubs have so far voiced their intentions these being Rochdale and Halifax and both declined to enter. Reading the statements from both clubs I would imagine that the decision, whichever way it is, should be fairly straightforward for clubs to make, so I would hope that we get clarity from the rest in the next few days.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

32 minutes ago, POR said:

about teams dropping out of the autumn competition sorry but ANY team that voted to end the season should be excluded from the comp you can't have it both ways 

Could you sound any more bitter?

4 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Could you sound any more bitter?

no not really I was just making an observation 

Personally I want my team to tell the RFL to stick it where the sun don't shine and concentrate on pre season training and applaud  Sheffield, Halifax, Rochdale, Toulouse  and kieghly for doing the same

Just now, POR said:

no not really I was just making an observation 

Personally I want my team to tell the RFL to stick it where the sun don't shine and concentrate on pre season training and applaud  Sheffield, Halifax, Rochdale, Toulouse  and kieghly for doing the same

That doesn't sound bitter at all.

5 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Batley hope that they will be able to take part. Given all the unknowns I doubt any club can yet say they are definitely in. 

Yeah of course mate, I meant it in terms of they're the only ones to have indicated positively this far.

On 26/07/2020 at 11:32, sentoffagain2 said:

Stop kicking the can down the road.Championship and L 1 must pull the plug on the season now.What is the use playing meaningless games with no chance of promotion.Let the players have a rest they may repay us in future having rested minor injuries and niggles this lockdowm may have added a couple of years to some of the older players careers.

Agree. Scrap the autumn tournament, there seems to be very little interest anyway. Add a few games to next season and start the proper league on New Year's day 2021.

38 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Agree. Scrap the autumn tournament, there seems to be very little interest anyway. Add a few games to next season and start the proper league on New Year's day 2021.

Middle of the flu season ?🥴

It's an ambitious plan, I'll say that for it.

One of the great obstacles to planning has been the pace of change.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

2 minutes ago, Griff said:

Middle of the flu season ?🥴

It's an ambitious plan, I'll say that for it.

One of the great obstacles to planning has been the pace of change.

That's true, so you have to make a plan on what you know, but with a Plan B if we get locked down again. I'm not sure there's a huge amount of difference between stating Jan 1 and Feb 1 on that front. 

Either we can play or we can't, and people either want to attend or they don't. We won't know the answers to those until we see if we're locked down again or not. 

13 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

That's true, so you have to make a plan on what you know, but with a Plan B if we get locked down again. I'm not sure there's a huge amount of difference between stating Jan 1 and Feb 1 on that front. 

Either we can play or we can't, and people either want to attend or they don't. We won't know the answers to those until we see if we're locked down again or not. 

An early start would be a good idea, bring the season forward and then have a decent break before the World Cup. And I know it’s a radical idea that will never happen, but England could play a warm up game too. 

15 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Depends on your plan B.

If Plan B is to rearrange games for midweek, I can't see that being popular.

If it's to reduce the number of games back to what it was, what impact will that have on your already diminished income from season tickets ?

I'd be leaving my plans as late as possible and I wouldn't be rushing to play more games just for the hell of it.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

The competition the RFL have proposed is 2 8-team groups, aiming to be regionally divided, with a round robin, semis and a final.

It does seem to be a bit ambitious given the current circumstances but I suppose they couldn't announce an 8 team competition as that would hardly be inclusive. 

If they end up with 12, two 6 team groups, that could be a nice tournament. Plus with some big names out others could come to the fore.

Archived