Championship/L1 restart numbers

39 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

I am a little surprised that Matthew Shaw's piece, being dated as recently as three days ago, reckons that Toulouse were undecided.  Bernard Sarrazain's statement on the club website, which I think pre-dates that, sounds pretty emphatic to me, especially when he says to make up for the shortfall of no TO to watch, try following the reserve team in Elite 1 from November.

Very poorly updated. North Wales pulled out days ago.

If you're going to do it, do it right.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, marklaspalmas said:

Well, that potential figure is based on a 16 team comp.

An 8 team comp would hand out more per club surely?

Big assumption there.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

These new lockdowns demonstrate how quickly things can change.  Several clubs are in the new area either side of the Pennines.

It's a nightmare to plan ahead more than ten minutes.

10 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Why? If the brass is on the table, it's on the table.

It could stay on the table.   No need to splash it about.

Party at mine tonight everyone. Im spending 1,000 quid on booze.

If the same four losers turn up, the only mates Ive ever had, they're in for one hell of a drinking session.

If the place is crashed by the entire TRL forum, y'all get half a can of no-brand lager each before the place is dry and I set the dogs on you.

Do you see?

2 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

Well, that potential figure is based on a 16 team comp.

An 8 team comp would hand out more per club surely?

This is why I think some teams are being pretty short sighted here. The money is there. Unless there's something we've not been told that changes that (which is quite possible) then surely the fewer teams who enter the better for those that do.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

40 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Party at mine tonight everyone. Im spending 1,000 quid on booze.

If the same four losers turn up, the only mates Ive ever had, they're in for one hell of a drinking session.

If the place is crashed by the entire TRL forum, y'all get half a can of no-brand lager each before the place is dry and I set the dogs on you.

Do you see?

No.

Party at mine tonight, £1000 to spend on booze.

If only four turn up, £50 will be plenty.

42 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

This is why I think some teams are being pretty short sighted here. The money is there. Unless there's something we've not been told that changes that (which is quite possible) then surely the fewer teams who enter the better for those that do.

Depends how they weight the prizes. For example, if the participation amount stayed the same per club and they used the surplus to increase the winner’s prize then the “also rans” would be no better off. 

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Either way, it's risky.  We might see more restrictions as the autumn comes along.   We might not.   But there's nothing that makes me confident that we'll be playing in front of crowds in this as yet hypothetical contest.  If you don't need the crowds, take part.   But if you're relying on the crowds for your finances, maybe not.

43 minutes ago, Griff said:

No.

Party at mine tonight, £1000 to spend on booze.

If only four turn up, £50 will be plenty.

There is 250k set aside for this tournament. 

Also, please everyone, we all know there's a global pandemic, we all know everything is conditional on how it develops, but do we have to bring it into every single page of every single thread?

Please.

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Widnes' thoughts

https://widnesvikings.co.uk/vikings-opt-out-of-autumn-competition/

"After receiving full details of the competition and learning the criteria in which the club would need to meet, a decision has been made that it would be in the club’s best interests to not enter"

I'd be interested to know the criteria the club had to meet....

13 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

There is 250k set aside for this tournament. 

Also, please everyone, we all know there's a global pandemic, we all know everything is conditional on how it develops, but do we have to bring it into every single page of every single thread?

Please.

Not following your point, Mark.

You're the one who brought it up.

12 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Widnes' thoughts

"After receiving full details of the competition and learning the criteria in which the club would need to meet, a decision has been made that it would be in the club’s best interests to not enter"

Yes, that’s the key bit.

I’ve been critical of Euro XIII for their lack of transparency so it would be good to know what is required of clubs for this tournament.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

48 minutes ago, Griff said:

Either way, it's risky.  We might see more restrictions as the autumn comes along.   We might not.   But there's nothing that makes me confident that we'll be playing in front of crowds in this as yet hypothetical contest.  If you don't need the crowds, take part.   But if you're relying on the crowds for your finances, maybe not.

15 minutes ago, Griff said:

Not following your point, Mark.

You're the one who brought it up.

I really didn't 

27 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Widnes' thoughts

We all would.

41 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Yes, that’s the key bit.

I’ve been critical of Euro XIII for their lack of transparency so it would be good to know what is required of clubs for this tournament.

28 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

We all would.

I'd guess this might be a minimum,

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-guidance-on-phased-return-of-sport-and-recreation/elite-sport-return-to-domestic-competition-guidance

or assuming they're banking on spectators 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-guidance-on-phased-return-of-sport-and-recreation/elite-sport-return-to-competition-safe-return-of-spectators 

This statement at the beginning of both documents could well become very important

While this guidance applies to England, you should always consider whether there are local restrictions in place in your area. If you live, work or volunteer in an area that is experiencing a local COVID-19 outbreak and where local restrictions have been imposed, different guidance and legislation will apply.

22 minutes ago, POR said:

down to 12 in a  RFL proposed 16 team competition🤣 how long before RFL pull the plug⁉️

When they get under 8. In line with their earlier statements.

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

When they get under 8. In line with their earlier statements.

I cannot wait for some of the comments when the likes of Bradford and Dewsbury get prize money for this year and the clubs that pulled out get nowt...

26 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I cannot wait for some of the comments when the likes of Bradford and Dewsbury get prize money for this year and the clubs that pulled out get nowt...

I mean, I think it’s all coming across as a bit dodgy but I’m assigning that to incompetence rather than deliberate grift.

Archived