Championship/L1 restart numbers

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I mean, I think it’s all coming across as a bit dodgy but I’m assigning that to incompetence rather than deliberate grift.

Was that a Eureka moment??? RFL incompetent???? You don't want to restart, no numbers given, so we will offer you a comp instead - comedy genius

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In: None

Out: Coventry Bears, Halifax, Hunslet, Keighley Cougars, Newcastle Thunder, North Wales Crusaders, Oldham, Rochdale Hornets, Sheffield Eagles, Swinton Lions, Whitehaven, Widnes Vikings, Workington Town

Undecided: Barrow Raiders, Batley Bulldogs, Bradford Bulls, Dewsbury Rams, Doncaster, Featherstone Rovers, Leigh Centurions, London Broncos, London Skolars, Toulouse Olympique, West Wales Raiders, York City Knights

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

8 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Out: Coventry Bears, Halifax, Hunslet, Keighley Cougars, Newcastle Thunder, North Wales Crusaders, Oldham, Rochdale Hornets, Sheffield Eagles, Swinton Lions, Whitehaven, Widnes Vikings, Workington Town

Undecided: Barrow Raiders, Batley Bulldogs, Bradford Bulls, Dewsbury Rams, Doncaster, Featherstone Rovers, Leigh Centurions, London Broncos, London Skolars, Toulouse Olympique, West Wales Raiders, York City Knights

Still some big names to announce their intentions, but I can't see it being a success unfortunately.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

25 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Of the undecided clubs I expect Toulouse, West Wales and London Skolars to decline and probably the Broncos too based on travel costs on top of everything else. If the RFL then assured the clubs that the prize pot remains the same thus doubling the incremental prizes the other 8 may all commit to entering. The only thing I could see resulting in Toulouse and London Broncos entering is if TWP is confirmed to not be in SL 2021 and the RFL do a u-turn on promotion via the tournament as a result.

30 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

The Toulouse coach has said they aren’t interested in it either, so I’d scratch them out too.

It would be very rugby league if by magic only eight clubs compete so that each is guaranteed a worthwhile slice of the prize money pie.

42 minutes ago, wiganermike said:

Of the undecided clubs I expect Toulouse, West Wales and London Skolars to decline and probably the Broncos too based on travel costs on top of everything else. If the RFL then assured the clubs that the prize pot remains the same thus doubling the incremental prizes the other 8 may all commit to entering. The only thing I could see resulting in Toulouse and London Broncos entering is if TWP is confirmed to not be in SL 2021 and the RFL do a u-turn on promotion via the tournament as a result.

Toulouse aren't undecided; they will not be entering.  There has been a statement on their website for a few days to that effect.

51 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

The Toulouse coach has said they aren’t interested in it either, so I’d scratch them out too.

It would be very rugby league if by magic only eight clubs compete so that each is guaranteed a worthwhile slice of the prize money pie.

Banter when the  RFL dole out big prize money for what is a copy of the preseason Yorkshire cup they ran at Odsal a year ago. Cmon the Bulls

I doubt York will be playing either, I believe their players have been told they won't be entering and as a number of them will be changing clubs you can imagine those players wont want to get injured playing in a mickey mouse competition and neither will York want players injuring that they have signed. Same for most clubs really.

23 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

I doubt York will be playing either, I believe their players have been told they won't be entering and as a number of them will be changing clubs you can imagine those players wont want to get injured playing in a mickey mouse competition and neither will York want players injuring that they have signed. Same for most clubs really.

I suppose that York might not have a ground available, either.

What about Fev and Leigh? I thought that their fans were universally opposed to entering.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

16 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

I suppose that York might not have a ground available, either.

What about Fev and Leigh? I thought that their fans were universally opposed to entering.

I have a feeling a few will leave it late in the hope the RFL will let 2 or 4 teams just go at it for the money. I do feel this is a time for teams to stand together against the RFL over this.

35 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

I have a feeling a few will leave it late in the hope the RFL will let 2 or 4 teams just go at it for the money. I do feel this is a time for teams to stand together against the RFL over this.

Great idea - Championship teams standing together "against the RFL", having acknowledged that they had done all in their power and come up with a potentially good idea. It is the issues around distancing and testing that are the problem, not the RFL.

What would you suggest they should have done instead?

On 31/07/2020 at 17:11, POR said:

down to 12 in a  RFL proposed 16 team competition🤣 how long before RFL pull the plug⁉️

The utter stupidy of all this is prior to the meeting of the Championship and L1 clubs,  RFL knew there was going to be a decision to play on or sit it out, would it have been asking to much for the RFL to prepare for either response and ask the gathering if they would enter a comp with £250k prize money, being the answer given woukd carry no consequence.

19 hours ago, wiganermike said:

Then that should have been an initall question, "who wants to play on for promotion" it would not have effected any team who preferred to sit it out, and if crowds are allowed back those 'sitting' clubs could have had their own comp,  what would have been a simpler solution.

31 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Great idea - Championship teams standing together "against the RFL", having acknowledged that they had done all in their power and come up with a potentially good idea. It is the issues around distancing and testing that are the problem, not the RFL.

What would you suggest they should have done instead?

We both know had promotion still been available some clubs would have entered that comp, I said it at the time to you in our discussions johnny, I do not believe for ibe minute the RFL came up with a good idea, they could have appeased everyone, play for promotion or sit the choice is yours. 

Archived