Championship/L1 restart numbers

24 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Then that should have been an initall question, "who wants to play on for promotion" it would not have effected any team who preferred to sit it out, and if crowds are allowed back those 'sitting' clubs could have had their own comp,  what would have been a simpler solution.

Harry, the SL clubs had already said that there would be no promotion. You are just going around in circles on this one.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

We both know had promotion still been available some clubs would have entered that comp, I said it at the time to you in our discussions johnny, I do not believe for ibe minute the RFL came up with a good idea, they could have appeased everyone, play for promotion or sit the choice is yours. 

So why have the majority of clubs praised the RFL's efforts in all of this?

Put your personal feelings to one side for a minute and accept that this was the best that they could manage to achieve. They came up with this competition idea after managing to squeeze cash out of SL - there was none on offer to begin with - after SL had vetoed promotion. It was then put to the clubs as an option for those who were still keen to play some games in front of crowds if possible.

It was a decent idea; the practicalities around testing, distancing, ending furlough etc have made it much more difficult than the clubs initially thought that it would be. Nothing has been lost that hadn't been lost already.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

36 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Harry, the SL clubs had already said that there would be no promotion. You are just going around in circles on this one.

The SL clubs said there would be no relegation johnny, Toronto's situation could change that, not definate, but could change it.

33 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

So why have the majority of clubs praised the RFL's efforts in all of this?

Put your personal feelings to one side for a minute and accept that this was the best that they could manage to achieve. They came up with this competition idea after managing to squeeze cash out of SL - there was none on offer to begin with - after SL had vetoed promotion. It was then put to the clubs as an option for those who were still keen to play some games in front of crowds if possible.

It was a decent idea; the practicalities around testing, distancing, ending furlough etc have made it much more difficult than the clubs initially thought that it would be. Nothing has been lost that hadn't been lost already.

In our discussions at the time we were poles apart in our personal feelings of the situation, if I may suggest you were dead against some clubs playing on if others did not want to. 

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

The SL clubs said there would be no relegation johnny, Toronto's situation could change that, not definate, but could change it.

No promotion from an unrealistic competition Harry. They said it, you cannot make up new rues to suit your club.

Whether they go with 11 or 12 next year is another topic, that you have participated in extensively elsewhere. Unlike you I see no merit in continuing to plow dead ground.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

In our discussions at the time we were poles apart in our personal feelings of the situation, if I may suggest you were dead against some clubs playing on if others did not want to. 

If promotion were to be an outcome, yes I was. Stop chewing on the bone Harry - the meat has all gone.

Now, if I might respectfully remind you, the thread is concerned with clubs who may or may nor participate in the revamped set of "friendlies", as you call them. There will be no promotion resulting from this come what may.

5 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Great idea - Championship teams standing together "against the RFL", having acknowledged that they had done all in their power and come up with a potentially good idea. It is the issues around distancing and testing that are the problem, not the RFL.

What would you suggest they should have done instead?

I guess it boils down to the interpretation of "potentially good idea".

3 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

I guess it boils down to the interpretation of "potentially good idea".

This is what most club chairmen said it was. I reckon they are better judges of what is good for their own clubs than we are.

10 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

Can't disclose my sauce but promotion is back

Looking forward to Bradford going directly back to Super League.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

23 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Ketchup or HP?

Wooster, of the Bertie variety.

The latest whisper that I am hearing (so as reliable as everyone else's) is that only four clubs are likely to enter: Barrow, Batley, Bradford and Dewsbury. Obviously the competition would not go ahead with so few, so the season has probably ended.

23 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

The latest whisper that I am hearing (so as reliable as everyone else's) is that only four clubs are likely to enter: Barrow, Batley, Bradford and Dewsbury. Obviously the competition would not go ahead with so few, so the season has probably ended.

I think all agreed earlier with some of our Leigh-based correspondents that the teams that wished to continue the season should be allowed to do so and that, in revealing that they are not pub teams, the winner of their competition gets to replace Toronto.

It's a whole game solution.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

4 of the biggest suspect places of Covid spreading, good luck with that one.

14 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

I concur , it has been common knowledge around Leigh since it happened , all the best Dereck 

Archived