Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
marklaspalmas

Championship/L1 restart numbers

Recommended Posts

The RFL has cancelled the Championship and League 1 seasons.

I assume this is because an insufficient number of the 25 clubs believed they could make it work.

The RFL have floated the idea of a 16 team mini comp. ITK rumours suggest that's an optimistic number of entrants. 

Can we assume that clubs who wanted a restart will go for this mini comp instead?

Can we assume clubs who didn't want a restart will also blow off this mini comp and wait for 2021?

Who's in? Who's out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There’s a lot of unknowns here. Firstly, all the unknowns about the pandemic and where the UK will be in October/November time and I won’t speculate on that, as I’m not a scientist but from a rugby perspective, I haven’t seen anything mentioned yet about extensions on players’ contracts, as they have had in Football, so will you be able to even name a full team? 

Then crowds, will we even be allowed any by then? If so, will it be a percentage of your capacity and if so, will the sales of tickets cover the expenses of stadium rental, floodlights, player wages and whatever will need to he spent on COVID-related things? 

I’d also be interested to see whether some teams, knowing, at this stage, there’s no promotion on offer in 2020, will decide that the money spent here could be better spent on something in 2021 that could give them an edge on their opponents in 2021. 

Edited by Hela Wigmen
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

250k sounds a reasonable incentive to get organised and get onboard 

That's the prize pool though isn't it. Something like that split 16 ways with more probably for the finalists isn't much at all compared to costs.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Damien said:

That's the prize pool though isn't it. Something like that split 16 ways with more probably for the finalists isn't much at all compared to costs.

Pure speculation obviously as 16 is a number plucked from the air, we don't know costs or prize money distribution. Provided crowds are allowed, all clubs should be entering to be honest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Pure speculation obviously as 16 is a number plucked from the air, we don't know costs or prize money distribution. Provided crowds are allowed, all clubs should be entering to be honest.

The problem is what is it  is it a mini league or cup knockout is it fair on  someone like West Wales Raiders to train and then have to play against FEV away for just  that one game 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I suggested in another thread let the fans of the individual clubs decide, all clubs have websites and most probably mailing lists, simply as the question "if fans are allowed back into the stadia this season, would you attend?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

As I suggested in another thread let the fans of the individual clubs decide, all clubs have websites and most probably mailing lists, simply as the question "if fans are allowed back into the stadia this season, would you attend?"

Batley doing that now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, marklaspalmas said:

Pure speculation obviously as 16 is a number plucked from the air, we don't know costs or prize money distribution. Provided crowds are allowed, all clubs should be entering to be honest.

Ah well - there's your problem.

There's no guarantee that crowds will be allowed in from October.  Boris will say anything to keep himself popular.

I've not seen any plan put forward by the RFL as yet but I suspect that £250k wouldn't keep as many as 16 clubs happy, especially if it's weighted towards success on the field.

We don't know what precautions will need to be taken or what social distancing will be needed.

What will the players' attitude be ?  Will they opt in ?

All these factors will determine whether it's viable for clubs to compete.

Folk seem to think it's just a case of turning up and trotting out to play.  It isn't.

  • Like 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Griff said:

Ah well - there's your problem.

There's no guarantee that crowds will be allowed in from October.  Boris will say anything to keep himself popular.

I've not seen any plan put forward by the RFL as yet but I suspect that £250k wouldn't keep as many as 16 clubs happy, especially if it's weighted towards success on the field.

We don't know what precautions will need to be taken or what social distancing will be needed.

What will the players' attitude be ?  Will they opt in ?

All these factors will determine whether it's viable for clubs to compete.

Folk seem to think it's just a case of turning up and trotting out to play.  It isn't.

I don't think anybody is remotely suggesting anything along the lines of your last line so no idea why you wrote that.

There will come a time, all things permitting and considered,  when Championship clubs will have to get back on the field and play. That may be October for some and if not then February for others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Usually players are starting their preseason training first week in November although it would be great to have some rugby this year, it shouldnt be at the expense of player welfare. The training season will go from August/ September 2020 to September/October 2021 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, HarrogateKnights said:

Usually players are starting their preseason training first week in November although it would be great to have some rugby this year, it shouldnt be at the expense of player welfare. The training season will go from August/ September 2020 to September/October 2021 

Eh? You do know the players haven't played for 5 months now? If they know they're in a viable competition on October they'll start training when necessary and start playing and earning again. I bet they'll be champing at the bit.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Eh? You do know the players haven't played for 5 months now? If they know they're in a viable competition on October they'll start training when necessary and start playing and earning again. I bet they'll be champing at the bit.

Don't forget most of these players have jobs outside of the game which provide the bulk of their income, particularly in L1, and their availability to play may be in the hands of their main employer. Some employers may be less than happy to have people playing contact sports and then coming in to work afterwards with the risk that might entail to their business.

  • Like 1

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clubs will have a host of factors to take into account before they can decide. However, players are contracted through to the end of November so should be available for the competition if they are willing and able to play.

Each club has to determine and demonstrate that their ground is fit for purpose according to a set of guidelines recently issued.

The furlough scheme is changing in August and ending in October which will affect each player, and club, differently.

All matches will have to be all ticket and the spectator areas segregated.

Robust testing systems will need to be put into place.

Bars and catering facilities may or may not be opened, impacting incomes.

Etc.

I believe that the outline plan, provided that sufficient clubs take part, is for two mini leagues (split East/West) of teams who will play each other once, followed by a play-off featuring the two top teams from each league in a knock-out format.

It will be challenging but I certainly hope that it goes ahead and that a sufficient number of clubs, including my own, decide to take part.

  • Like 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In their email to season ticket holders, sent on Tuesday, London Broncos said:

"It is worth pointing out that at this stage we have had no information on the 125th Anniversary competition so it is impossible for us to decide if we should enter this or not."

So, I wouldn't expect any clarity on this competition for a while yet.


"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So far as I am aware there hasn't been ANY information yet about what form this competition might take

Until the RFL produce the information, I don't see how any club can make a decision about entering.

With finances in a precarious state everywhere you can't just throw your hat into the ring to enter 'a competition', everyone needs to know what they are getting into so they can assess the likely costs.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, paulwalker71 said:

So far as I am aware there hasn't been ANY information yet about what form this competition might take

Until the RFL produce the information, I don't see how any club can make a decision about entering.

With finances in a precarious state everywhere you can't just throw your hat into the ring to enter 'a competition', everyone needs to know what they are getting into so they can assess the likely costs.

There is information about ground requirements however. If clubs can't meet those then their decision would be obvious no matter what the structure.

I can think of one or two clubs who would really struggle to meet any sort of rigorous criteria at present.

  • Like 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fans will be allowed in , as long as they wear face coverings 

The wearing of face coverings will be the default position for everything in 2 months time 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, marklaspalmas said:

I don't think anybody is remotely suggesting anything along the lines of your last line so no idea why you wrote that.

Maybe not on this thread.  But there are a lot of threads on the forum.


"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't think any club will be putting their hands up until there are some firm details such as will it be mini league or straight knockout ?  If mini league, only play other side once or home and away ? Or split into groups of say 4, play home and away then top of each group play semis and final ?


My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

So far as I am aware there hasn't been ANY information yet about what form this competition might take

Until the RFL produce the information, I don't see how any club can make a decision about entering.

With finances in a precarious state everywhere you can't just throw your hat into the ring to enter 'a competition', everyone needs to know what they are getting into so they can assess the likely costs.

Yes there has. TRL has a 2 groups of 8 plus semis and finals outlined as the potential format. It'll depend on numbers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, marklaspalmas said:

Yes there has. TRL has a 2 groups of 8 plus semis and finals outlined as the potential format. It'll depend on numbers.

Potential being the operative word. Until RFL has some concrete proposals then we're all just speculating.


My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...