Championship/L1 restart numbers

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

And given that there's already a TWP discussion thread. As far as the new competition's concerned, some clubs would be swayed by whether there would be mid week games. If there are, then we can probably write off the clubs that didn't enter the 1895 Cup to start with.

Yes, although I think the eight week window allows enough scope for a one-match-per-week competition, don't you?

2 minutes ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Agreed, but this is the RFL we're talking about!

Of course, there's always that caveat.

I realise the tremendous amounts of difficulties involved, but I'd like to think each and every club will make their very best efforts to play. I think it's important, if only symbolically

4 hours ago, Derwent said:

Yes I have but if they expel Toronto from SL next year then you'd think they would be looking to fill that place. Potentially winning this comp could stengthen a club's case for inclusion.

Except the RFL has already ruled that out - from the RFL website

The Betfred Championship and League 1 clubs will be invited to play in a competition this autumn, with a theme of celebrating the sport’s 125th anniversary – and with a prize pot of £250,000, thanks in part to financial support from the Betfred Super League clubs. Further details of this competition will follow this week – it will be voluntary, and there will be a detailed application process requiring clubs to prove their ability to meet the necessary protocols and medical standards. There will be no automatic promotion to the Betfred Super League from this competition.

1 hour ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

And given that there's already a TWP discussion thread. As far as the new competition's concerned, some clubs would be swayed by whether there would be mid week games. If there are, then we can probably write off the clubs that didn't enter the 1895 Cup to start with.

Yes - most clubs would be swayed by the need for mid week games.   Part time players don't need that complication in their lives.   And there would be some long journeys in there.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

9 minutes ago, Griff said:

Yes - most clubs would be swayed by the need for mid week games.   Part time players don't need that complication in their lives.   And there would be some long journeys in there.

And I think we've decided there will be enough time for that to be unnecessary.

I apologise for my part in the thread drift.

I imagine it will come down to the likely costs weighed against the amount each club would hope to bring in as to whether they choose to enter. I would be surprised if the more far flung clubs like WWR, Coventry, London Skolars and Toulouse entered due to travel costs on top of everything else. For the rest it may come down to how the prize pot is distributed. If potential prize money is low or non existent for those exiting early then it may lead to those less likely to challenge in the later stages (League 1 clubs and lower table Championship clubs) opting out. I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up as a round robin followed by a final contested by no more than 8 clubs.

23 minutes ago, wiganermike said:

I apologise for my part in the thread drift.

I imagine it will come down to the likely costs weighed against the amount each club would hope to bring in as to whether they choose to enter. I would be surprised if the more far flung clubs like WWR, Coventry, London Skolars and Toulouse entered due to travel costs on top of everything else. For the rest it may come down to how the prize pot is distributed. If potential prize money is low or non existent for those exiting early then it may lead to those less likely to challenge in the later stages (League 1 clubs and lower table Championship clubs) opting out. I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up as a round robin followed by a final contested by no more than 8 clubs.

Sadly, all that makes sense. Having said that all clubs really must do their best, it may be for some that it just can't happen. Far flung clubs with their extra travel costs will be especially under pressure.

42 minutes ago, wiganermike said:

. I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up as a round robin followed by a final contested by no more than 8 clubs.

Which if that is the case, it could have been a promotion tournament, what would have been as simple as having a 'secret' ballot of all the Championship clubs to ask their intension if the big prize was at stake. 

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

Which if that is the case, it could have been a promotion tournament, what would have been as simple as having a 'secret' ballot of all the Championship clubs to ask their intension if the big prize was at stake. 

Well I think 4 pages and a serious derailment in, that indeed would be a ..... ahem.....  "game-changer" but there's no evidence of it happeneing at the mo'.

15 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Well I think 4 pages and a serious derailment in, that indeed would be a ..... ahem.....  "game-changer" but there's no evidence of it happeneing at the mo'.

I was talking in the past tense mark, it should have been done prior to the announcement that the season is kiboshed, no chance that will be reversed, no matter how many "Our Father's and Hail Mary's" I say at bedtime.

1 hour ago, marklaspalmas said:

And I think we've decided there will be enough time for that to be unnecessary.

Provided that no players test positive, that is. This aspect does keep getting overlooked.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Not if some of those were C1 clubs Harry.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

12 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Not if some of those were C1 clubs Harry.

If the autumn competition was to include a SL spot as the prize it is irrelivant what league those clubs are currently in 

10 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

If the autumn competition was to include a SL spot as the prize it is irrelivant what league those clubs are currently in 

The RFL have already clearly stated that there won't be a SL place at stake.

I know we aren't used to the RFL being clear about things, but in this instance it was 100%

There will be no automatic promotion to the Betfred Super League from this competition.

2 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

I know we aren't used to the RFL being clear about things, but in this instance it was 100%

There will be no automatic promotion to the Betfred Super League from this competition.

' clearly stated ' 😂 , till it changes as plenty of things are changing right now , as they say we are in a fluid situation 

11 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Being devil's advocate for a change, does "automatic" give them leeway (or just raise Harry's hopes again before dashing them to the ground)?

42 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Being devil's advocate for a change, does "automatic" give them leeway (or just raise Harry's hopes again before dashing them to the ground)?

Exactly , it would be just like RL to produce another ' controversy ' that one or several sets of fans and indeed owners can moan about on here for another few decades , or worse give a reason to chase fans and owners away from the sport 

9 hours ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

I read 'no automatic promotion' as meaning 'if we lose a club (i.e. Toronto), then someone else can be admitted to make up the numbers'. How that would be decided is a matter for another melt down thread!

Funny I thought that too when I read the word “automatic”, but then, apart from a few cases in recent years Promotion never quite seems “automatic” given the issues raised about virtually every Championship winner, especially by the incumbent SL clubs!

For what its worth I think a combination of a number of current SL clubs worried about their finances post Covid, added to existing worries about the future direction of any TV revenue, just might lead to “no promotion, but relegation, and a 10 team league for 2021 (expecting Toronto to be gone, plus maybe 1 other club unable to continue  to be competitive post Covid).

Archived