October Comp

Batley Bob

45 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

And yet every club that has withdrawn has praised the efforts and decision-making of the RFL. You, of course, know better.

no I don't but I think the whole handling of the championship  has been a mess including telling lies about the cost of testing and when it was decided  to scrap the season  the idea of an autumn competition foolhardy to say the least as soon as league cancelled all thoughts of playing games should have been put to bed

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, POR said:

no I don't but I think the whole handling of the championship  has been a mess including telling lies about the cost of testing and when it was decided  to scrap the season  the idea of an autumn competition foolhardy to say the least as soon as league cancelled all thoughts of playing games should have been put to bed

You forgot to add "in my humble opinion".

The strange thing that I find in all of the threads about this competition and the cessation of the league programme is that the only bitter, and mildly hysterical, posters are from Leigh and Featherstone. Why do you think that is?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

14 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

You forgot to add "in my humble opinion".

The strange thing that I find in all of the threads about this competition and the cessation of the league programme is that the only bitter, and mildly hysterical, posters are from Leigh and Featherstone. Why do you think that is?

no bitterness or hysteria from FEV fans bsj all of them I know couldn't care less about this season however can't wait for the new one to start to get a look at  the four new players we've signed for next year

1 hour ago, POR said:

What lies about the cost of testing? All pro sports that have restarted around Europe are paying around £100 a test. 25 staff twice a week gives you the figure of about £5k (SL staff + officials had over 900 tests in the first week) . Cas are using the services of Screen4 who will charge you £115 to analyse a self taken swab or £150 for a clinician taken swab. 

2 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

What lies about the cost of testing? All pro sports that have restarted around Europe are paying around £100 a test. 25 staff twice a week gives you the figure of about £5k (SL staff + officials had over 900 tests in the first week) . Cas are using the services of Screen4 who will charge you £115 to analyse a self taken swab or £150 for a clinician taken swab. 

by lies i mean  suggesting that 5 k was the only testing on offer when FEV revealed they had an agreement in place with a local hub that were prepared to provide tests for all essential staff and a courier service free of charge.

4 hours ago, POR said:

by lies i mean  suggesting that 5 k was the only testing on offer when FEV revealed they had an agreement in place with a local hub that were prepared to provide tests for all essential staff and a courier service free of charge.

Bitter, so bitter.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

20 hours ago, distantdog said:

Why? And do you think they will? If they enter, surely they would be one of the favourites. Would it give them a chance to recoup some of the money that MC has laid out or would it be financally detrimental to the club?

DD,

If you assume that you can earn £35k for winning the group then £35k for winning the final that would give you @£70k in. But then assuming the £5k a week for testing that has been quoted then that would mean an outlay of £45k (over 9 weeks, 7 rounds, semi & final) on top of this you would no longer be furloughing plays from around the beginning of September (assuming a 4 week "pre-season") so 3 months wages to find. Let's assume the annual wage bill is @600k and is likely to be higher, that would be a cost of @120k. So far we have costs of around £165k and an income of £70k if you win the tourney.

Assuming the worse case scenario you would have only 3 home games in the group stages and you can get a gate of say 2,000 (of which 1,000 are season ticket holders wanting to get in for free - why wouldn't you) then assuming an admission of say £15 a head (who would even pay that for a glorified friendly?) then the income in gate receipts would be £30k. So now we would be running at a loss of £65k, (£165k - £70k - £30k). Even if you could get the testing done for free you'd still be making a loss of £20k. And all of that is before you add the additional costs of VAT, employer NI, running the games, cost of travel, etc. Okay there will be some additional income from beer sales at Fev and Batley, but not at the likes of Fax & Leigh who don't own their own ground. So if by winning the comp you still make a loss why would you enter if you have no/little chance off winning the even?

All of this before you even start to think about policing social distancing within a crowd that would like to move around the stadium and to stand with their mates. Especially when if the predicted second wave of Covid-19 hits this is likely to be around the October/November/December time.

Therefore you can see why most clubs will not enter this. As I said on the Fev forum, let's just have a 7 game "world series" style event of games between Fev and Leigh.  🙂

I'm sure I'll think of something funny to say soon.

On 28/07/2020 at 17:38, POR said:

no bitterness or hysteria from FEV fans bsj all of them I know couldn't care less about this season however can't wait for the new one to start to get a look at  the four new players we've signed for next year

What makes you so cock sure there will be a next year. Some folk jumping the gun already. I for one ain't holding my breath. 

10 hours ago, The Grinder said:

Therefore you can see why most clubs will not enter this. As I said on the Fev forum, let's just have a 7 game "world series" style event of games between Fev and Leigh.  🙂

Thanks for the detailed answer, I appreciate it, while not agreeing with it all.

Why should Leigh and Fev play off for anything? Have they both said they will enter the centenary competition?

8 minutes ago, distantdog said:

Thanks for the detailed answer, I appreciate it, while not agreeing with it all.

Why should Leigh and Fev play off for anything? Have they both said they will enter the centenary competition?

Neither has said that they are in at this point in time as far as I know, just my sense of humour, which I guess you don’t get so never mind.

11 hours ago, Dog forever said:

What makes you so cock sure there will be a next year. Some folk jumping the gun already. I for one ain't holding my breath. 

No gun jumping or holding of breath

The new premier league season kicks off on September 12th so somebody is having a next year why not us? 

On 29/07/2020 at 10:50, The Grinder said:

DD,

If you assume that you can earn £35k for winning the group then £35k for winning the final that would give you @£70k in. But then assuming the £5k a week for testing that has been quoted then that would mean an outlay of £45k (over 9 weeks, 7 rounds, semi & final) on top of this you would no longer be furloughing plays from around the beginning of September (assuming a 4 week "pre-season") so 3 months wages to find. Let's assume the annual wage bill is @600k and is likely to be higher, that would be a cost of @120k. So far we have costs of around £165k and an income of £70k if you win the tourney.

Assuming the worse case scenario you would have only 3 home games in the group stages and you can get a gate of say 2,000 (of which 1,000 are season ticket holders wanting to get in for free - why wouldn't you) then assuming an admission of say £15 a head (who would even pay that for a glorified friendly?) then the income in gate receipts would be £30k. So now we would be running at a loss of £65k, (£165k - £70k - £30k). Even if you could get the testing done for free you'd still be making a loss of £20k. And all of that is before you add the additional costs of VAT, employer NI, running the games, cost of travel, etc. Okay there will be some additional income from beer sales at Fev and Batley, but not at the likes of Fax & Leigh who don't own their own ground. So if by winning the comp you still make a loss why would you enter if you have no/little chance off winning the even?

All of this before you even start to think about policing social distancing within a crowd that would like to move around the stadium and to stand with their mates. Especially when if the predicted second wave of Covid-19 hits this is likely to be around the October/November/December time.

Yet Fev and Leigh would have been happy to go through all this if promotion was the prize.Some people on here (not you by the way)were calling other teams unambitious and "pub teams" for not re-starting the season when they would have had no chance of promotion.

14 hours ago, The Grinder said:

Neither has said that they are in at this point in time as far as I know, just my sense of humour, which I guess you don’t get so never mind.

Maybe I didn't get it. However, I support Batley so a sense of humour is a prerequisite. 

6 minutes ago, gittinsfan said:

Yet Fev and Leigh would have been happy to go through all this if promotion was the prize.Some people on here (not you by the way)were calling other teams unambitious and "pub teams" for not re-starting the season when they would have had no chance of promotion.

This, and it gets tiresome after a while, especially when we are named and accused of acting in our own interests rather than supporting the self interested aims of other clubs.

2 hours ago, gittinsfan said:

And that’s the point without P&R what is the reason for competing in a comp where even if you win it you are likely to lose money?

2 hours ago, distantdog said:

This, and it gets tiresome after a while, especially when we are named and accused of acting in our own interests rather than supporting the self interested aims of other clubs.

DD,

quite agree, why should every club lose money so that London, Fev, Leigh, Toulouse or whoever could get promotion. Without spectators this is always going to be the case.

Don’t get me wrong, personally I’d like to see Fev given a shot at SL (well I am biased), but I don’t believe that SL is the be all and end all. And most importantly would and should not be done on the backs of the other Championship & League 1 teams. We need to remember where we are coming from and where We’ll end up back, whether that is after 1 season or 10 in SL, assuming we ever get there.

There is a lot to be said with meeting up with the friends that I have made from various Championship teams over the years, as well as the Fev crowd too, and chewing the fat.

32 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

DD,

quite agree, why should every club lose money so that London, Fev, Leigh, Toulouse or whoever could get promotion. Without spectators this is always going to be the case.

Don’t get me wrong, personally I’d like to see Fev given a shot at SL (well I am biased), but I don’t believe that SL is the be all and end all. And most importantly would and should not be done on the backs of the other Championship & League 1 teams. We need to remember where we are coming from and where We’ll end up back, whether that is after 1 season or 10 in SL, assuming we ever get there.

There is a lot to be said with meeting up with the friends that I have made from various Championship teams over the years, as well as the Fev crowd too, and chewing the fat.

i am in complete agreement.

8 hours ago, POR said:

No gun jumping or holding of breath

The new premier league season kicks off on September 12th so somebody is having a next year why not us? 

Just because there’s football season happening doesn’t mean crowds at our level would be allowed in if a second spike came 

4 minutes ago, bentleyman said:

And me well researched Grinder 🍻

Cheers Bentleyman, hope you've managed a beer or two during lockdown, I hope we get to have a couple together next year. 🍺

53 minutes ago, Keep The Faith said:

Just because there’s football season happening doesn’t mean crowds at our level would be allowed in if a second spike came 

that's the worst case scenario but if the'are letting crowds into football in  october why not allowing crowds for the championship  and remember were talking about a normal season start date in feb some seven months away

1 hour ago, Keep The Faith said:

And a spike can come at anytime in next 6 months or longer 

IMG_0583.JPG

5 hours ago, The Grinder said:

And that’s the point without P&R what is the reason for competing in a comp where even if you win it you are likely to lose money?

Like SL, you mean?

Just how long would folk like lockdown to go on? Will Christmas 2021 be long enough for the massive snow melt that's needed? We're all happy to see a 12 team Super League becoming the extent of the game are we? That's what's happening if community clubs (I Hate that label, makes it appear that we're the unwanted hangers-on......[just leave that open for debate!]) don't grasp the nettle and fight for their futures. BTW I doubt this competition is going to happen, happy future!!

Archived