October Comp

Batley Bob

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Something else to get the steam rising.... https://www.totalrl.com/rfl-to-reveal-distribution-policy-to-clubs/

Seeing as this season was only a few games old before it was curtailed an even split would be the fairest way of distribution. Basing funding for 2021 on 2019 standings can't be right, especially in the current situation when all clubs need as much help as they can get.

50 minutes ago, Ainley Top said:

Seeing as this season was only a few games old before it was curtailed an even split would be the fairest way of distribution. Basing funding for 2021 on 2019 standings can't be right, especially in the current situation when all clubs need as much help as they can get.

You could also argue that 2021 is the follow up season to 2019.....

3 hours ago, Ainley Top said:

I can understand the argument for offering prize money relating to league position as an incentive for success. However, I have never agreed with how central funding has been distributed, even after the season we finished 3rd.

I'd much rather have evenly distributed funding, and a salary cap that ensured every team in the division could compete. 

A least last year's was marginally better than the previous seasons.

I do think that there should be financial incentives for league positions. Every match has to be meaningful and teams have to strive to climb the table as high as they can go, and be rewarded for the best position they can attain. If not, and central funding is distributed equally then where is the incentive to improve?

4 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Something else to get the steam rising.... https://www.totalrl.com/rfl-to-reveal-distribution-policy-to-clubs/

The devil is in the detail too. The "incremental reduction" that is referred to is in the order of 20%. That is not what I would call incremental by any means.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

I think in normal times an incentive based on position is the right way to go, but we're not in normal times at the moment. As I said all clubs need help and without it some could possibly fold. 

I would be fine with it, if there was a properly managed sc that wasn't astronomically out of reach to most of the clubs. 

If the payments went up in increments of just £10k per position, the gap between the top and bottom would be £120k. Although not always the case, but when that is coupled with an increase in gate receipts and sponsorship that is associated with an improved league position. As there is so little money in the championship, teams can very quickly find themselves with no chance of competing with those at the top. 

As I say, if the cap was around £500k, then it wouldn't be so bad. However, as it is, plus a couple of marquee signings, and the competition just becomes pointless.

• 2 weeks later...

Word on the streets now is that the competition will not go ahead after all. The problems that SL are currently encountering coupled with logistical hurdles are making it too difficult to proceed without incurring significant losses.

I wouldn't bet on a Boxing Day match taking place, either.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

10 minutes ago, RogerT said:

RFL, I think we all knew it was not going to happen unfortunately.

I think it is too easy to blame the RFL for everything. It seems to me that they have worked hard to get some rugby played, which many on here would have liked to see! The clubs have ensured that no rugby is played, in the wake of government instruction. 

11 hours ago, distantdog said:

I think it is too easy to blame the RFL for everything. It seems to me that they have worked hard to get some rugby played, which many on here would have liked to see! The clubs have ensured that no rugby is played, in the wake of government instruction. 

The RFL was waiting for the four clubs to give a clear indication of their position before making this decision, I believe. The more that time passed and the difficulties with SL and the conditions required by local authorities became clearer, the more it became obvious that all of the clubs would be likely to lose money.

It is all too easy to blame the RFL for each and all problems that arise.

What I  was trying to get over was the decision could have been sooner as I believe the 4/5 clubs declared their intentions clear and a short while ago, no I don't always blame the RFL for everything, their hands are tied to some extent.

2 hours ago, RogerT said:

What I  was trying to get over was the decision could have been sooner as I believe the 4/5 clubs declared their intentions clear and a short while ago, no I don't always blame the RFL for everything, their hands are tied to some extent.

They declared their interest Roger but not their commitment. Following this, I understand, they then had to go through the process of establishing what the permitted ground capacities would be, what the conditions of operating with spectators were, what the actual testing and tracing protocols would need to comprise etc. The answers to these questions and their implicit costs, when balanced against the financial incentives, might have made one or more decide that participation wasn't worth the price. Until this point the RFL couldn't make any final decision.

Archived