French elite 1 fixtures

French Teams  2020/21

Elite 1   10

Elite 2   11

National  17

Federal  23

Elite 1 U19  10

National U19  10

Women 18    (5  newcomers at Elite level)

Looked back two decades ago there were 11 at Elite 1.Eight who are still there whilst the other 3 will be playing at Elite 2 this time round viz Pia, Villefranche and Carpentras. Two of them too could be in the running for promotion in 2021. Not expanding much but holding on to what they've got at semi pro level.

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

17 minutes ago, audois said:

French Teams  2020/21

Elite 1   10

Elite 2   11

National  17

Federal  23

Elite 1 U19  10

National U19  10

Women 18    (5  newcomers at Elite level)

Looked back two decades ago there were 11 at Elite 1.Eight who are still there whilst the other 3 will be playing at Elite 2 this time round viz Pia, Villefranche and Carpentras. Two of them too could be in the running for promotion in 2021. Not expanding much but holding on to what they've got at semi pro level.

Does that mean there are 61 clubs with open age men’s teams (assuming National and Federal are that) or are there further leagues below Federal?

9 hours ago, Eddie said:

Does that mean there are 61 clubs with open age men’s teams (assuming National and Federal are that) or are there further leagues below Federal?

61 is the sum total. And I think that I am right in saying that some of the lower tier clubs are second teams to Elite 1 and 2 clubs. 

3 hours ago, Number 16 said:

61 is the sum total. And I think that I am right in saying that some of the lower tier clubs are second teams to Elite 1 and 2 clubs. 

This is a practice that happens around the world. I like it. The connections formed when clubs work together can help build the League as a whole.

Along with the feeder club system at the higher level, at Community/junior level if 2 clubs are struggling for numbers in a particular grade, better that they keep their independent club identity, and merge that grade not the clubs as a whole.

A rule has been brought in for elite 1 and 2 clubs, 2 bonus points for a u19s team and 2 points for a women's team, 

I think it falsifies the league, limoux will get four points as they have both(just about in the u19s as they've spent all summer phoning my best u19s at lezignan 6 or 7 players ) st gaudens will start on  0 points as they're struggling to keep a float never mind create new teams. 

They did this a few years ago with points for a woman's team, lezignan got one together and they where  put straight into the league, the problem was non of the women had ever played before and played against teams like lyon and had 4 women taken to hospital. Lyon had a few internationals in the team, it got messy! 

Its just been announced for the upcoming season, so no real time to plan or recruit. 

I'm sure fcl xiii will be along to comment as I've taken part of his post from a Facebook post and used it in this message. 

19 minutes ago, barnyia said:

A rule has been brought in for elite 1 and 2 clubs, 2 bonus points for a u19s team and 2 points for a women's team, 

I think it falsifies the league, limoux will get four points as they have both(just about in the u19s as they've spent all summer phoning my best u19s at lezignan 6 or 7 players ) st gaudens will start on  0 points as they're struggling to keep a float never mind create new teams. 

They did this a few years ago with points for a woman's team, lezignan got one together and they where  put straight into the league, the problem was non of the women had ever played before and played against teams like lyon and had 4 women taken to hospital. Lyon had a few internationals in the team, it got messy! 

Its just been announced for the upcoming season, so no real time to plan or recruit. 

I'm sure fcl xiii will be along to comment as I've taken part of his post from a Facebook post and used it in this message. 

If I understand that correctly it’s absurd, the league table will lose credibility. 

Eddie yes I think it will lose credibility especially as the fédération are thinking of bringing promotion and relegation between the two leagues. Which will spoil the elite 2 as teams can't afford and don't want to play in elite 1 so may lose on purpose so not having to ruin their club by going into elite 1, 

No news yet on magic weekend but I heard that it may be at the catalans ground. 

35 minutes ago, barnyia said:

Is that a joke? What a ridiculous points system

No deadly serious, also u19s are allowed four  20 year olds(first year seniors) in their squad for each game, I believe due to lack of numbers at some clubs, I've 36 players next season plus a few more now with the  first year senior players I can use, it'll be difficult keeping everyone happy. 

Any idea when they'll confirm location for Magic Weekend ? Going to Avignon wine festival so can take it in before returning but location depends on where I book flights to. Carcassonne means either there or Toulouse for flights and can get back on Sunday night. Perpignan makes it bit more difficult.

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

I'd book carcassonne, as Avignon to toulouse is almost the same as Avignon to carcassonne with a détour to Perpignan, from the  narbonne junction  its 30 mins to perpignan. 

Carcassonne to toulouse airport  is a good hour from carcassonne. 

It'd be either Toulouse or Marseille for the flight. Wine festival is on the Thursday so Friday to recover then to either Carcassonne or Perpignan for MW. That just leaves me to work out how long I have to get to Blagnac  (flight from there to Gatwick at 2150 on a Sunday) or Marseille after last game. Any idea of rough KO times ? Presuming something like 2, 4 and 6pm on Sunday ?  Did consider Barcelona or Girona airport but given current problems . . . . 

On 27/07/2020 at 12:44, barnyia said:

Who the hell dreamed this up TOTAL MADNESS:(

Paul

1 hour ago, BJW said:

It'd be either Toulouse or Marseille for the flight. Wine festival is on the Thursday so Friday to recover then to either Carcassonne or Perpignan for MW. That just leaves me to work out how long I have to get to Blagnac  (flight from there to Gatwick at 2150 on a Sunday) or Marseille after last game. Any idea of rough KO times ? Presuming something like 2, 4 and 6pm on Sunday ?  Did consider Barcelona or Girona airport but given current problems . . . . 

Driving is also a nice option we go 

Portsmouth/St Malo/Peralada  (10 hours with stops) Carcassonne is 8 Hours 30 mins 

(Ideal if a group of you 5/6)

Done the drive in the past, both Brittany Ferries and Dover/Calais but as it'll just be me, easier to fly this time and get hire car at airport. Plus time constraint this time round. Need to be home for Monday midday.

PS When we drove last time it was Bordeaux for lunch then Villeneuve for dinner

No problem with train but on this occasion would be dodgy as must be somewhere in UK midday Monday. 2150 flight from Toulouse means I'd be home by 0030 ish. Have used train before and it's a nice option.

17 hours ago, BJW said:

Done the drive in the past, both Brittany Ferries and Dover/Calais but as it'll just be me, easier to fly this time and get hire car at airport. Plus time constraint this time round. Need to be home for Monday midday.

PS When we drove last time it was Bordeaux for lunch then Villeneuve for dinner

Nice I take the car 6 times a year (School holidays) last time I went to watch Toulouse they let me take my doggie in (Blagnac) the pub on the far side of the ground which was nice 🙂

He likes a bit of proper rugby:)

Archived