Stadium Capacities Post Covid

i just read an article today regarding stadium capacities post covid19, it was about football but the result will be the same. its saying capacity will be 33% maximum, but could be as low as 17%. the variation is based on the concourses at the ground & entrances/exits etc. the older the ground the more likely it will be 17%. will be pretty distaterous for most clubs. st helens with a capacity of 14,000 i believe, will have a capacity of less than 5,000. 

Slag off you least favourite team/attendance here now.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

The wearing of face coverings will negate any attendance reductions , the consumption of food and drink at the games however could continue to be problematic , unless of course you have one of the Wetherspoons masks with attached drinking straw 😉

1 hour ago, kev p said:

i just read an article today regarding stadium capacities post covid19, it was about football but the result will be the same. its saying capacity will be 33% maximum, but could be as low as 17%. the variation is based on the concourses at the ground & entrances/exits etc. the older the ground the more likely it will be 17%. will be pretty distaterous for most clubs. st helens with a capacity of 14,000 i believe, will have a capacity of less than 5,000. 

St Helens has a capacity of 18000 giving it a capacity of 6000 at 33% usage, which is way better than 0 capacity. Same for every Superleague club, some supporters are better than none

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

32 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

At Leeds I'm pretty sure we could get 33% with 3 main entrance points plus a few others. So looking at 7000ish? 

the article said its the concourses are the main issue, entrances are not the main issue as fans turn up over a period of time, but all leave pretty much together. hopefully if all goes ok with 17-33% it can be increased to 50%+.

Interesting. That's inside the stadia, but what impact does travelling to the matches take? For example, public transport would likely to continue to be restricted in capacity, so that would drive people into their own vehicles.

Meanwhile,  a 33% maximum attendance limit would still leave plenty of spare space for Salford !

3 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

At Leeds I'm pretty sure we could get 33% with 3 main entrance points plus a few others. So looking at 7000ish? 

I dunno, Headingley is pretty tightly packed in the circulation spaces compared to a new build on a clean plot.

Not sure what impact seating vs standing will have as well - may have a disproportionate impact on terraced areas.

6 minutes ago, M j M said:

I dunno, Headingley is pretty tightly packed in the circulation spaces compared to a new build on a clean plot.

Not sure what impact seating vs standing will have as well - may have a disproportionate impact on terraced areas.

I was thinking if you've got access from the cricket western terrace side, the south stand, and the Eastern turnstiles there's pretty good access. For the Carnegie stand for example it should be fairly easy to make it a 1 way system.

The two new stands have large concourses, significantly larger than previously. I don't have much concern about being able to organise a system with those.

On terracing i think we'll just see areas designated.

15 minutes ago, M j M said:

Perhaps every fan will have something akin to a corporate box without prawn sarnies.

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

If you cannot get into a ground to support your local team, you should have no problem getting into the AJ Bell if you live close enough. Not a dig but they have struggled with crowds and would appreciate the support no doubt.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

44 minutes ago, RayCee said:

If you cannot get into a ground to support your local team, you should have no problem getting into the AJ Bell if you live close enough. Not a dig but they have struggled with crowds and would appreciate the support no doubt.

I know it's an old story and also definitely not having a dig at the club, but actually getting to the AJ Bell is a significant problem before you even consider the issue of getting admission.

From personal experience as an away fan: 3 visits and 3 nightmare journeys, all of which got worse the closer I got, after those visits I simply gave up.

As someone who regularly attends a lot of games as a neutral I do strongly applaud the general idea however. Rochdale or Widnes might well get a visit from me if they join the autumn comp.

Ironically,  Wakefield at Belle Vue could do really ok in this.

• The capacity is already highly restricted due to safety issues. (7000?)
  • This capacity crowd is still rather sparse, if equally spread.
  • The scale of the business is so small, with minimal overheads, that an average crowd of 6200 would allow the club to finally spend the full cap (we don't).
  • We have only been averaging 5k-ish.
  • We only have 2500 or so season ticket holders.
  • The demolition of buildings in front of the 'stadium' (Superbowl et al) has left a large area which could be used for controlling waiting fans / dispersing fans after the game.

It depends on how the rules are made as regards terracing of course, but with a bit of organisation I could see it working. We could get to the point where we are admitting paying customers rather than season tickets only. How close to 5k normality could we get? Would this mean all home fans could attend?

Changing/showering facilities are another issue.

If going to the match is anything like going to the pub it won’t be a great experience. 

Went out for a few beers yesterday, first time in months, 8 of us. Most places wouldn’t let us in as they were letting in groups of 4 max and where we could go we had to leave names and addresses, get temperature checked, 15 minute lecture about social distancing before getting through the door, not allowed to move chairs (even in almost empty pubs) - it was dismal. 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

If going to the match is anything like going to the pub it won’t be a great experience. 

Went out for a few beers yesterday, first time in months, 8 of us. Most places wouldn’t let us in as they were letting in groups of 4 max and where we could go we had to leave names and addresses, get temperature checked, 15 minute lecture about social distancing before getting through the door, not allowed to move chairs (even in almost empty pubs) - it was dismal. 

Tbf mate its hit and miss in those circumstances. Some pubs I've been in are ver strict others less so. I would recommend booking a table ajead though, especially for a larger group such as your 8.

48 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

As long as the wearing of face covering is policed there will be no issues with regards attending games , eating and drinking will be an issue 

Some shops, cafes and indeed the police jave said it will be impossible to police the wearing of facemasks. Indeed, will they actually be a necessity at grounds? Fundamentally its an outside space and as you say has food/drink outlets.

It looks like season ticket holders will take up the majority of seats or terracing spots, so away fans could end up losing out. We must get permission from Sky for live video streaming to cater for away fans and also deter them from travelling. If it was done on a pay-per-view basis via the clubs' own TV channels it would provide extra revenue, and if sky were that pedantic they could charge a percentage.

37 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Some shops, cafes and indeed the police jave said it will be impossible to police the wearing of facemasks. Indeed, will they actually be a necessity at grounds? Fundamentally its an outside space and as you say has food/drink outlets.

The wearing of face coverings is to negate social distancing , if everybody is ' covered ' then social distancing doesn't need to be ' policed ' , which means essentially you can open a whole stadium at capacity , or as much as you want to steward but still at that capacity 

Archived