Ottawa and New York

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

With the demise of Toronto how will that affect Ottawa and NY? Will they forego central funding? Will SL be even more skeptical about letting another North American club in?

Ottawa bought Hemel's membership 'licence' (for want of a better word) so will be treated as a relocated Hemel. They will get central funding. NY probably will not as they didn't take over an existing member club.

2 minutes ago, wiganermike said:

Ottawa bought Hemel's membership 'licence' (for want of a better word) so will be treated as a relocated Hemel. They will get central funding. NY probably will not as they didn't take over an existing member club.

Will be interesting to see what happens if Ottawa get to SL then. I wonder if any lessons will be learnt from Toronto. It’s obvious that no club can go without taking CF so maybe NY will agree to not take any for the first 3 years for example 

Just now, Mr Plow said:

Will be interesting to see what happens if Ottawa get to SL then. I wonder if any lessons will be learnt from Toronto. It’s obvious that no club can go without taking CF so maybe NY will agree to not take any for the first 3 years for example 

Wolfpack agreed not to take any CF until they reached Super League. Then the goalposts were moved. A lesson for NY would be to ensure that goalposts don't get moved on them should they earn promotion.

4 minutes ago, Loup said:

Wolfpack agreed not to take any CF until they reached Super League. Then the goalposts were moved. A lesson for NY would be to ensure that goalposts don't get moved on them should they earn promotion.

Conflicting accounts on that, it’s fair to say.

Ottawa should have 2 advantages

1. They have been able to observe what has happened at Toronto and will hopefully learn from the mistakes that were made

2. They are already a member having bought Hemels licence.

New York on the other hand has Mr Wilby!

I wonder which one is most likely to succeed.

6 minutes ago, Oldbear said:

1. They have been able to observe what has happened at Toronto and will hopefully learn from the mistakes that were made

I remember a quote from Eric Perez when the RFL admitted them along the lines of ‘Toronto are Yuri Gagarin but Ottawa are going to the Moon’. That stuck with me. That might well prove to be true.

3 minutes ago, Oldbear said:

Ottawa you’d think should be able to make a go of it as long as they learn the lessons from Toronto. 

Ive always thought NY was a bit of a weird one. Wilby comes across as a bit of a chancer

4 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I remember a quote from Eric Perez when the RFL admitted them along the lines of ‘Toronto are Yuri Gagarin but Ottawa are going to the Moon’. That stuck with me. That might well prove to be true.

Has anyone ever found out why Perez left Toronto? Did he fall out with anyone?

1 minute ago, Mr Plow said:

Ive always thought NY was a bit of a weird one. Wilby comes across as a bit of a chancer

My point was firmly tongue in cheek! I agree with the above, he never looks quite real to me, as if he’s an actor playing a part, and the whole thing is one giant spoof! I hope I’m wrong but he doesn’t fill me with hope either.

3 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

Don’t think we will ever know the truth behind that, we can speculate all we want but unless someone spills the beans that’s all it will be. 

4 hours ago, Mr Plow said:

On the Sky vodcast he stated that he was butting heads with David Argyle and hinted that either one or the other of them had had enough of that.

4 hours ago, Mr Plow said:

Adding to what Big Picture posted, on the Sky Golden Point vodcast Eric Perez suggested a difference in approach in terms of developing the club contributed to the parting of the ways. The vodcast can be found on the Sky Sports RL website.

Just listening to the very opinionated "Full 80" podcast. Apparently numerous League One chairmen are turning against Ottawa's entry next year.

I have stated on some other threads, but I don't see an Ottawa existing without Toronto. The Toronto metropolitan area has a huge population, and the TWP played in an area of Toronto with a young upwardly mobile population. Many of the local fans are in startups or the Tech industry and are used to trying new things. I know it is a generalization, but Ottawa is a government town and the polar opposite, often quite risk averse. Seeing Toronto fail will make selling this club a very difficult.

2 minutes ago, ojx said:

Just listening to the very opinionated "Full 80" podcast. Apparently numerous League One chairmen are turning against Ottawa's entry next year.

I have stated on some other threads, but I don't see an Ottawa existing without Toronto. The Toronto metropolitan area has a huge population, and the TWP played in an area of Toronto with a young upwardly mobile population. Many of the local fans are in startups or the Tech industry and are used to trying new things. I know it is a generalization, but Ottawa is a government town and the polar opposite, often quite risk averse. Seeing Toronto fail will make selling this club a very difficult.

It doesn’t matter if chairmen are ‘turning against them’, they’ve been admitted and voted in by those same chairmen so tough

2 hours ago, ojx said:

Many of the local fans are in startups or the Tech industry and are used to trying new things.

This can work both ways. Dilettantes have a habit of attaching themselves to something new ,fashionable or trendy then moving on pretty quickly.

Maybe a more staid town would be more likely to show long term commitment.

2 hours ago, DoubleD said:

It doesn’t matter if chairmen are ‘turning against them’, they’ve been admitted and voted in by those same chairmen so tough

And if they refuse to come over to play Ottawa?

11 minutes ago, SL17 said:

I’m interested to see how Ottawa evolves. The clarity from Perez is now following his vision. 

Obviously his vision was a set back at TWP. 

How Ottawa need TWP. I don’t really understand. Obvious rivalry before Ottawa actually have a squad.

Time will tell.

It's simple really.  Toronto is an A-list market, Ottawa is a B-list market.  Ottawa is also a government town and not as open to new things as Toronto.  A Toronto-Ottawa rivalry would help a lot as similar rivalries exist in other sports.

13 hours ago, wiganermike said:

This might be a stupid question but here goes.

If TWP and possibly NY are not eligible for central funding as they are new clubs and have  NOT taking over the licence of an existing club dies that mean the same would apply if a new team in England was established.

2 hours ago, Big Picture said:

It's simple really.  Toronto is an A-list market, Ottawa is a B-list market.  Ottawa is also a government town and not as open to new things as Toronto.  A Toronto-Ottawa rivalry would help a lot as similar rivalries exist in other sports.

There are no A list markets in English rugby league so there doesn’t need to be one for a new team to succeed in Canada either. 

Archived