Ottawa and New York

2 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Err... I think I said a few words...and a small vocabulary?

If your happy to use a device, then fair enough.  I’ve never seen it though.

Give it a go, I have used it for a number of years, of course having a small vocabulary is good but this means you don't need it. 

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Harry Stottle said:

Give it a go, I have used it for a number of years, of course having a small vocabulary is good but this means you don't need it. 

I have used google translate before but only for Arabic text and legal documents in France.  

Many English don’t make an effort at all.  If it ain’t English then that’s it.  I’ve seen it too many times.

48 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

I have used google translate before but only for Arabic text and legal documents in France.  

Many English don’t make an effort at all.  If it ain’t English then that’s it.  I’ve seen it too many times.

Yes totally agree, but it is the global language, did you know that it prerequisite to speak English to be an airline pilot, not French, German or Chinese.

3 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

Err... I think I said a few words...and a small vocabulary?

If your happy to use a device, then fair enough.  I’ve never seen it though.

Having seen more than a few gaffs made by Google translate online I wouldn't want to trust a device.

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yes totally agree, but it is the global language, did you know that it prerequisite to speak English to be an airline pilot, not French, German or Chinese.

That's true harry 

In 2015, out of the total 195 countries in the world, 67 nations have English as the primary language of 'official status'. Plus there are also 27 countries where English is spoken as a secondary 'official' language.400 million native speakers of English. In addition, it has been  said that there were 400 million speakers of English as a second language.Furthermore, there were around 600 - 700 million English as a foreign language speakers. So, that's  over 1 billion people that could communicate in English to some extent. and it was  estimated  in 2018 that there are definitely above 1.5 billion speakers of English globally.

English is  the world's most accessible language due to its massive presence in films, TV and the internet. English grammar is also quite easy to learn to start with when you are a beginner compared to other languages.That's why it is taught as a second language at school in a lot  countries

having said all that it doesn't stop you learning a bit of spanish for your hols if only for a laugh if nowt else🤣

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

No need for anyone to learn a language all you need is a wifi connection, I have sat in bars in foriegn countries not being able to speak the language nor those who I was conversing with having any command of English.

Google Translate enables one to speak into their device (phone or tablet) and it will repeat the words audibly almost instantly in the chosen language, just pressing the 'reverse button' enables the other person to communicate back in their tongue and you hear it in English immediately, I have sat with people for 2 hours utilising this method, got served in shops, communicate in restaurants and asked directions, it is a really wonderful tool, it even utilises the  devices camera, it lets you focus on say a menu and you can read it in English albeit some of the interpretations are amusing when it is a local item.

Give it a try, it really works even with my Lancashire accent, so there's still hope for all those East of the Pennines🤗

Llandudno was it Harry?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

29 minutes ago, POR said:

That's true harry 

In 2015, out of the total 195 countries in the world, 67 nations have English as the primary language of 'official status'. Plus there are also 27 countries where English is spoken as a secondary 'official' language.400 million native speakers of English. In addition, it has been  said that there were 400 million speakers of English as a second language.Furthermore, there were around 600 - 700 million English as a foreign language speakers. So, that's  over 1 billion people that could communicate in English to some extent. and it was  estimated  in 2018 that there are definitely above 1.5 billion speakers of English globally.

English is  the world's most accessible language due to its massive presence in films, TV and the internet. English grammar is also quite easy to learn to start with when you are a beginner compared to other languages.That's why it is taught as a second language at school in a lot  countries

having said all that it doesn't stop you learning a bit of spanish for your hols if only for a laugh if nowt else🤣

You do read this forum, don't you?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

31 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Llandudno was it Harry?

My pins in a map can rank alongside many well heeled travellers johnny, not many Euro-capitals I haven't visited, I made a concerted effort to go to visit all a few years back, done lots of Asia, Australasia and parts of Africa all the Caribbean islands, not done either of the America's actually never fancied North America much and selling my company to an organisation from there confirmed to me not to bother it wasn't for me, to brash albeit I had umpteen opportunities to visit and all paid for in luxury but it still didn't temp, Sourh America is on the list though.

Must say though I have just checked Google Translate and Welsh is there, so just for the hell of it I could take a trip into the valley's to try it out, thanks for that johnny, though I don't reckon your sarcasm was meant to be helpful, 😋

11 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

Number 2, in my experience is valid.  

Brits seem to expect other countries to speak English.  Normally they find some more English and form a clique, when just learning a few words and a small vocabulary they could increase that circle of friends and learn a little culture.

Having spent 10 years of my life in France and French RL between 1998/2008 I can tell you that a majority of French rugby league players spoke good English .

WHY

Because the majority are RL fans and followed SL and the NRL:) they just wanted to become part of the RL family which is dominated by  us.

So the majority made an effort and fair play to them.

5 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

I don’t know.  I work in construction.  I can use a plane.

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

My pins in a map can rank alongside many well heeled travellers johnny, not many Euro-capitals I haven't visited, I made a concerted effort to go to visit all a few years back, done lots of Asia, Australasia and parts of Africa all the Caribbean islands, not done either of the America's actually never fancied North America much and selling my company to an organisation from there confirmed to me not to bother it wasn't for me, to brash albeit I had umpteen opportunities to visit and all paid for in luxury but it still didn't temp, Sourh America is on the list though.

Must say though I have just checked Google Translate and Welsh is there, so just for the hell of it I could take a trip into the valley's to try it out, thanks for that johnny, though I don't reckon your sarcasm was meant to be helpful, 😋

The 3 parts of North America are VERY different countries.

But I wouldn't want to visit the one in the middle either.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Why not, it’s a fabulous country to visit. 

It can be, just be careful of the locals! The right to bear firearms freaks me out, especially when you go into a grocery store in Montana and see people wearing gun holsters, complete with Saturday Night Special!

6 hours ago, Eddie said:

Why not, it’s a fabulous country to visit. 

Uh, maybe you ought to rethink that idea.

Canada now... it's like the United States done right.

2 hours ago, TIWIT said:

Uh, maybe you ought to rethink that idea.

Canada now... it's like the United States done right.

Weirdly I don’t have to rethink it, I’ve been to both countries a number of times and love them both. Have always felt like the welcome in America is warmer mind you. 

7 hours ago, Oldbear said:

It can be, just be careful of the locals! The right to bear firearms freaks me out, especially when you go into a grocery store in Montana and see people wearing gun holsters, complete with Saturday Night Special!

That wouldn’t worry me at all. 

16 hours ago, POR said:

That's true harry 

As someone who has done a spot of TEFL and may be off to do it full time for a year in September, I don't think its as simple as you portray. English isn't the global language because its particularly easy. Indeed it has a lot of "weirdnesses" that many other languages avoid, particularly on pronunciation. It does have some elements that do make it easier to learn too. Overall English is the most spoken/understood language because of 2 crucial things, the British Empire and the USA. 

There's been several attempts to establish a "lingua franca" in a given area. Lingua franca itself comes from the crusaders where regardless of being French, Occitan, Spanish, Italian, English, Dutch, German or whatever, French was the common language. Most relevant is how Russia has a long tradition of spreading the Russian language amongst subject people as a common tongue and that legacy is still apparent today. Indeed had they won the cold war there's a good chance we'd be using it. Across Africa, French is common tongue for various nations who have multiple languages within. Arabic spread similarly although much earlier on at the same time Greek was the language of the eastern Mediterranean. South and central America is generally Spanish. A failure to do this caused chaos in the Austro-Hungarian empire where recruitment posters were printed in no less than 14 languages.

English teaching is in demand all over the world because it is that mutual second language that the Russians for example ultimately failed to establish. For people in countries such as Latvia with barely over 1 million speakers or Finland, a global second language is a necessity. Thats not to say its easy, just that its by far the best choice. Just like when describing Rugby League, we shouldn't dumb it down unnecessarily to sell it to others.

I always use the anecdote of if a Russian and Brazilian met in Dubai to discuss an oil deal, they would speak in English.

7 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I always use the anecdote of if a Russian and Brazilian met in Dubai to discuss an oil deal, they would speak in English.

That's very unlikely for the simple reason that the vast majority of Brazilians only speak Portuguese, because it's the only language they ever need in life.

55 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

That's very unlikely for the simple reason that the vast majority of Brazilians only speak Portuguese, because it's the only language they ever need in life.

Of course, but the vast majority won't be talking to Russians in Dubai, hence where English is the common second language the world has taken on.

Chinese people don't need to learn anything other than mandarin, There's a billion speakers of it at least. They'll struggle as soon as they leave China. Just as Brazilians would when they left Brazil for anywhere bar Portugal and a handful of African countries.

Archived