Ottawa and New York

English is definitely the language of international sports. A Russian and a Brazilian talking to a Japanese referee, all of it in English.

Although everyone seems to pick up the naughty words of other languages pretty fast.

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Chinese people don't need to learn anything other than mandarin, There's a billion speakers of it at least. They'll struggle as soon as they leave China.

They’d be OK in Vancouver!

On 02/08/2020 at 17:18, Tommygilf said:

Of course, but the vast majority won't be talking to Russians in Dubai, hence where English is the common second language the world has taken on.

Chinese people don't need to learn anything other than mandarin, There's a billion speakers of it at least. They'll struggle as soon as they leave China. Just as Brazilians would when they left Brazil for anywhere bar Portugal and a handful of African countries.

Indeed, it is a modern Latin. That does not make Latin easy.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

58 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Ottawa sign Tom Gilmore. Cracker of a signing for League 1.

Id normally give an opinion on our players when they sign for someone else and I know he didn't play a lot of games for Fax but I genuinley can not remember a single game he played in for us.

6 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Id normally give an opinion on our players when they sign for someone else and I know he didn't play a lot of games for Fax but I genuinley can not remember a single game he played in for us.

One of those talented players whose lost their way. He’ll stick out in L1.

17 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

They’ll get promoted without doubt

Looking like it so far, they seem to be putting together a very good Championship standard squad. No superstars, all good hardworking players with decent talent. No veterans either, these are players who will all be around in the game for quite a few years.

45 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

Looking like it so far, they seem to be putting together a very good Championship standard squad. No superstars, all good hardworking players with decent talent. No veterans either, these are players who will all be around in the game for quite a few years.

Agreed, clever recruitment that shouldn’t require immediate turnover to spend a few years becoming competitive in the championship 

1 hour ago, welshmagpie said:

They’ll get promoted without doubt

Barrow, Workington, Doncaster, Hunslet & Newcastle all with a real shot to either win the League or be in the play off.  Ottawa winning promotion at 1st opportunity would be one in the eye for them especially if New York turn up the year after.

How much money is paid for winning promotion?  Anyone know?

2 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

Barrow, Workington, Doncaster, Hunslet & Newcastle all with a real shot to either win the League or be in the play off.  Ottawa winning promotion at 1st opportunity would be one in the eye for them especially if New York turn up the year after.

How much money is paid for winning promotion?  Anyone know?

Think it's champions up with the next 4 in a play off to join them, so 2 promotion spots. 

Going to be a very competitive top of that league.

Ottowa seem to be at least building a more mid table Championship team as opposed to TW going straight for top end championship/bottom end SL quality, if they've been sensible they shouldn't be paying a great deal for any of those signed so far either but I guess we'll find out further down the road.

9 minutes ago, SL17 said:

They won’t be going for part-time wages. The bonus being full time.

Yes but there are definitely different levels of full time. You can build a full time team capable of breezing league 1 and competing comfortably in the championship that comes way under the salary cap if you are smart about it. I would be that Salford are spending less this year  doing well than in SL than Toronto did in year 2.

21 minutes ago, SL17 said:

The one thing Salford show as an example is they compete. I don’t know their budget and can’t comment on that. But I’ll guarantee it’s less than Ottawa.

Possibly so, but I bet Salford would want a bigger budget and if they could have one they would, so why wouldn’t Ottawa make use of it if it’s available?

Archived