Ottawa and New York

6 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

Perez update on Ottawa, basically states no effect on them from the Toronto fallout and they will play in the UK during 2021 if C-19 prevents them using Ottawa for home games:  

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/news/12196/12053623/eric-perez-says-ottawa-and-new-york-will-not-be-affected-by-torontos-wolfpack-withdrawal

Sighs of relief all round New York then.

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 16/08/2020 at 03:24, Big Picture said:

The divide between major league and minor league is a big one and alas SL is clearly in the minor league category as it doesn't have the profile, fan interest or revenue of any of the major leagues.  Some minor league baseball franchises are worth over 30 million US$ and it's probably safe to say that none of the SL clubs is worth that much.  MLS is certainly a major league, they sure wouldn't be getting 325 million US$ for an expansion franchise (roughly 10 times the highest value of any minor league franchise in existence) otherwise.

So for RL to crack this richest of world sports markets and bring in a slice of the big money which networks here in America pay to televise sports, a major league RL competition would be required and that can't happen within the English RL structure.  Absent someone with a credible plan to create such a league, it won't happen.

Oh , how I've missed your posts under ignore 😀 , nothings changed I see , it's not somebody with a credible plan , it's somebody with a humongous bank account 

2 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Oh , how I've missed your posts under ignore 😀 , nothings changed I see , it's not somebody with a credible plan , it's somebody with a humongous bank account 

If said plan was credible and appealing to investors and broadcasters, they'd supply the necessary funds as happened with all the leagues which have ever started up in North America.

3 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

If said plan was credible and appealing to investors and broadcasters, they'd supply the necessary funds as happened with all the leagues which have ever started up in North America.

But we aren't starting a league in NA 

On the face of it Ottawa appear to be building a very good (but not overpaid) squad who will work their way through League 1 with quiet efficiency and very probably get promoted to the Championship.

I get the impression Perez is more in control at Ottawa, he became a complete bystandar at Toronto when Argyle decided to call all the shots. I'm sure he learn't a hell of a lot from that experience and am fascinated to find out how Ottowa mange things.

Structually, I seriously expect them to be a completely different kettle of fish to Toronto.

4 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

On the face of it Ottawa appear to be building a very good (but not overpaid) squad who will work their way through League 1 with quiet efficiency and very probably get promoted to the Championship.

I get the impression Perez is more in control at Ottawa, he became a complete bystandar at Toronto when Argyle decided to call all the shots. I'm sure he learn't a hell of a lot from that experience and am fascinated to find out how Ottowa mange things.

Structually, I seriously expect them to be a completely different kettle of fish to Toronto.

How do know they aren't being overpaid ? They are signing players with experience of a league above League 1. Presumably not for the sort of money paid by most clubs in League 1 unless those signings are taking a pay cut.

Nothing as yet suggests any deviation from a repeat of the first year of TWP.

Hopefully with a better outcome.

I had worried about Ottawa and travel regarding Covid.

Can someone tell me what the current status of international travel is in the Uk?

Down here in Australia we can't even cross state borders, let alone think about getting on a plane.

3 minutes ago, SL17 said:

We have air bridges or corridors. Dependant on the Country you are travelling to (infection rate) decides whether you have to spend two weeks in isolation on return. 

Any Country can be added to the quarantine list within hours. As is what is happening. People are travelling to Countries were they don’t need isolate on return only for those Countries to be added to the list while they are still there.

Hence the surge for people to get home, when that does happen.

Thanks.

A friend of mine is British and her brother just went to Italy for his summer holiday. From an Aussie perspective it seems crazy that people can do this in this current time.

Best estimates for international travel is middle of next year and possibly USA in the following December, which is why I had concerns for Ottawa starting.  

10 minutes ago, Omott91 said:

Thanks.

A friend of mine is British and her brother just went to Italy for his summer holiday. From an Aussie perspective it seems crazy that people can do this in this current time.

Best estimates for international travel is middle of next year and possibly USA in the following December, which is why I had concerns for Ottawa starting.  

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/news/12196/12053623/eric-perez-says-ottawa-and-new-york-will-not-be-affected-by-torontos-wolfpack-withdrawal

Note this bit in particular:

"Perez says he has a contingency plan in case Ottawa cannot play in Canada for any part - or even all of - 2021 because of Covid-19, but insists they will be ready when the Rugby Football League decides on a start date."

In other words it sounds like Eric Perez is planning for the Aces to play home games in the UK next season if travel between the UK & Canada is out.

Not to worry, there will be a vaccine by January and some big pharma will make a fortune as per usual. Plus the world economy cannot stand another year of this sh**  or we will be back to the stone age. I will miss not seeing the wifes family though...

On 22/08/2020 at 12:20, RobertAM said:

Not to worry, there will be a vaccine by January and some big pharma will make a fortune as per usual. Plus the world economy cannot stand another year of this sh**  or we will be back to the stone age. I will miss not seeing the wifes family though...

You must have special information. The government advisor today says that a vaccine before winter 2021/22 would be an exceptional achievement.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

34 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

You must have special information. The government advisor today says that a vaccine before winter 2021/22 would be an exceptional achievement.

For North America there saying Jan-March of 2021 in Europe i have seen some reports it could be the following year.

On 13/08/2020 at 16:25, Smudger06 said:

Sorry. 

No to Ottawa Aces and no to NYC RL. 

Common sense must prevail.

International travel will be severely hindered well into next season on top of all the issues TWP have had in the last 4 years, to be dealt with by these Clubs! 

It makes no sense promoting NYC v Keighley, not even NYC v St Helens or NYC v Wigan....just doesn't even sound right. 

Expansion, let's expand properly & successfully to Newcastle, Sheffield & London 1st (+ Perth & Adelaide down under), then Glasgow & Dublin......and then (in 25 years time, maybe) talk North American expansion again. 

Or spend the next few years and create a North American conference

Ottawa

Toronto

3rd Ontario team

New York

Montreal

Vancouver

Boston

Chicago

Miami

Mexico City

On 13/08/2020 at 16:25, Smudger06 said:

Sorry. 

No to Ottawa Aces and no to NYC RL. 

Common sense must prevail.

International travel will be severely hindered well into next season on top of all the issues TWP have had in the last 4 years, to be dealt with by these Clubs! 

It makes no sense promoting NYC v Keighley, not even NYC v St Helens or NYC v Wigan....just doesn't even sound right. 

Expansion, let's expand properly & successfully to Newcastle, Sheffield & London 1st (+ Perth & Adelaide down under), then Glasgow & Dublin......and then (in 25 years time, maybe) talk North American expansion again. 

That should leave RL fighting for relevancy and Tv coverage with the All Lancashire Conker tournament and the Broad Yorkshire Marbles Invitational..both great games by the way but I'm not gonna sit glued to my seat or telly.

1 hour ago, RobertAM said:

That should leave RL fighting for relevancy and Tv coverage with the All Lancashire Conker tournament and the Broad Yorkshire Marbles Invitational..both great games by the way but I'm not gonna sit glued to my seat or telly.

No , it won't , and in truth I'm not a huge fan of TV coverage 

On 22/08/2020 at 03:20, Omott91 said:

I had worried about Ottawa and travel regarding Covid.

Can someone tell me what the current status of international travel is in the Uk?

Down here in Australia we can't even cross state borders, let alone think about getting on a plane.

No international travel to and from Canada though. Also the message being given by our government is that this could be a long term issue. In BC our health minister has said the state of emergency that we are under could remain till early 2022 and given that BC is one of the better provinces when it comes to Covid cases and deaths I really can see a problem with Ottawa even being able to kick off in 2021, expect a delay till 2022 in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Oldbear said:

No international travel to and from Canada though. Also the message being given by our government is that this could be a long term issue. In BC our health minister has said the state of emergency that we are under could remain till early 2022 and given that BC is one of the better provinces when it comes to Covid cases and deaths I really can see a problem with Ottawa even being able to kick off in 2021, expect a delay till 2022 in my opinion.

Should Ottawa be unable to play any games home in Canada in 2021 due to Covid they have plans to play out of a UK base for part or all of the season, funding is apparently in place for this and they have already spoken to a number of Stadium owners.

Other than them doing a Toronto and imploding, it looks like the only things that will stop Ottawa playing in 2021 are the season being cancelled or the RFL getting cold feel off the back of the Toronto mess. I imagine the latter is unlikely given the potential legal and PR implications.

14 hours ago, RobertAM said:

Not surprised you wouldn't want to watch those minority sports, now if you desire some riveting TV try the renowned Lancashire sport of Black Pudding Throwing, here is a link to the season's finale highlighting the best the sport can offer in the World Champioship Finals, it combines both the Lancashire Black and Yorkshire Puddings - Two for one for you foreigners - sit back and enjoy,  and try to avoid the 'loop' button!

10 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

Should Ottawa be unable to play any games home in Canada in 2021 due to Covid they have plans to play out of a UK base for part or all of the season, funding is apparently in place for this and they have already spoken to a number of Stadium owners.

Other than them doing a Toronto and imploding, it looks like the only things that will stop Ottawa playing in 2021 are the season being cancelled or the RFL getting cold feel off the back of the Toronto mess. I imagine the latter is unlikely given the potential legal and PR implications.

Still worries me, I’m still expecting a delay to 2022.

1 hour ago, Whippet13 said:

So another player with strong Championship experience and presumably at Championship pay rates unless they're all taking pay cuts. Great signing, but TWP-MK2 in terms of financing a team to play in League 1.

Archived