Ottawa and New York

20 minutes ago, SL17 said:

We have plenty on the M62 corridor. Possibly paying attention to them would help.

All to their own.

We've been paying attention to them for 125 years. And look where we are.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I'm coming round to the position that Sky's investment in the game is not a "game as a whole" investment and is for the broadcast of Super League, meaning all partners in Super league should get the same amount.

But people have to subscribe to watch, and the majority of those subscriptions come from the M62 corridor and Cumbria. Sky wouldn't be happy if fans of clubs outside SL started cancelling their subscriptions in protest. 

3 minutes ago, Steve Slater said:

But people have to subscribe to watch, and the majority of those subscriptions come from the M62 corridor and Cumbria. Sky wouldn't be happy if fans of clubs outside SL started cancelling their subscriptions in protest. 

I don't think you can even come close to having those figures frankly and even if what you say is true then fans of second division clubs are currently subscribing to not watch their team anyway. 

10 hours ago, Steve Slater said:

Do they? I thought 50% came from the south of England 

18 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Do they? I thought 50% came from the south of England 

How can we find out and settle the argument, once and for all? 

5 hours ago, SL17 said:

Given the success with SL left the sport in a dilemma. It’s now called the product but has created so much destruction structure wise.

Academies count for nothing if you can’t feed them.

In the same breath SL the product cannot continue without being fed.

I do feel there has to be a line drawn now and I really don’t see anything but a total separation in tiers with each carrying their own funding.

I suppose Sly saved the game at one point and thank them for that. But as usual the saviour becomes the killer.

In answer to convincing you! It’s quite simple in order for the sport to continue requires the product supporting the lower tiers. That’s where the cream comes from..

If the product continues on the same line then they run out of players.

SL cannot continue without the lower tiers.  For that reason alone the lower tiers should go it alone.

Thanks for the response.

Yes SL is a product, it is a business.  The days when clubs were run in the 70’s or 80’s on low crowds and semi-pro players are long gone.  The SKY deal did saved the game but there was a price to pay and that price was full time professionalism.  As soon as players became full time professionals then clubs had to adapt to operating in a business environment to keep afloat.  IMHO this has led to clubs becoming greedy and taking the easy option of wanting the greater share of the TV money instead of taking the harder path to bring in income through their endeavours.

I believe that preserving the academies, semi pro and amateur game should be a non-negotiable and I don’t believe that anyone supporting expansion has ever said they would want those to cease.  I do not see the local amateur game and expansion as being mutually exclusive.  A game that opens into new markets be they in the UK or North America/Europe would in the long term hopefully increase investment and raise the profile of the game and encourage more youngsters to play the game.

I also agree that SL will struggle without the lower tiers.  There should be a strong pyramid from under 9’s to SL with appropriate funding, but how would this be funded if as you say ‘the lower tiers should go it alone’.

18 minutes ago, SL17 said:

My shadow is here again. Your jealousy is starting to show sweetheart. Stop trolling or Mr Drake will be informed.

Feel free, darling

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

2 hours ago, SL17 said:

My shadow is here again. Your jealousy is starting to show sweetheart. Stop trolling or Mr Drake will be informed.

It's a forum,if you don't want your posts challenged either put everyone on ignore or don't post,simple really Derek.

Archived