Ottawa and New York

12 hours ago, whatmichaelsays said:

How, for example, do RL clubs sell more to exiled supporters (especially where the trend for young people has been to move away from towns and towards cities for work and study)? How do we sell to supporters with other commitments? One of those things could be a video content subscription of some kind, but it would have to be driven by the clubs. 

Interesting, When I visited the NRL. website recently, just to have a quick look at the results I was presented with the option of having NRL news updates sent directly to my P.C. no matter what I was doing. It involved a simple click` Yes`,  Henceforth now whether I am reading the paper or whatever an NRL news story will pop up on my page. Sometimes you read it, sometimes not, but importantly it keeps you engaged.

This is the kind of engagement that people could be receiving on their phones. Especially the type of people you mentioned above. It could come from the Clubs or the main body.

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, whatmichaelsays said:

It is if you're already a dyed-in-the-wool RL supporter who has an allegiance to the team, will watch them in any kind of weather, and so on. 

But there aren't enough of those kind of supporter to keep RL clubs sustainable in the long term. Perhaps more worryingly, the kinds of supporters like that we do have are getting older. 

This is an issue of how clubs can grow crowds and find new generations of supporter. I don't think that clinging onto "British sporting culture" as a reason for doing things or relying on enthusastic parents to drag their reluctant kids along is sustainable. The clubs need to get better at selling themselves and delivering what a broader spectrum of people want from a day out - just yelling "TGG" at people doesn't do that. 

90% of Football clubs in the UK will never get to or stay in the Premier league so should they and their fans just give up?

Is the enjoyment not about watching a good game of Rugby or football?

10 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

90% of Football clubs in the UK will never get to or stay in the Premier league so should they and their fans just give up?

Is the enjoyment not about watching a good game of Rugby or football?

You're twisting what I'm saying. Of course I'm not suggesting that fans should just "give up". What you seem to be missing is that the game can't just keep appealing to "fans". It has to try and appeal to people who aren't "fans" as well (and maybe turn them into "fans") if it is going to grow and prosper. 

Do you think a message of "see us try to get into a league where they play better rugby" is effective to a would-be spectator when that "better rugby" is available at a similar price point three bus stops away? Play to your own strengths for god's sake. 

Yes, for a lot of fans, the enjoyment is about watching a good game of Rugby or football, but we don't always offer up a good game of rugby. More often than we'd like to admit, we offer up a pretty turgid game of rugby (if we didn't, we'd never have statements like "this game is a great advert for rugby league"). The challenge therefore is to remove the variance - ensure that everybody has a good time irrespective of how good or bad the game is. 

20 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

But I'm chatting , discussing , debating , yes DEbating John , not watching a game 😁

Wouldn't you rather have it live though Gubby, shouting at people in the street as usual?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

6 hours ago, whatmichaelsays said:

You're right, they can buy SL, but how does that help clubs in many of our towns where, in general, people move away to look for work and education? How does the exciled Leyther 'buy into' Leigh Centurions if Leigh Centurions don't give him anything to buy other than a season ticket (which he'll find hard to use) or some tat from the club shop? 

I'd agree with the other posters that I think you're over-playing the impact of TV on attendances. I can't think of a single pub near me that ever had Premier Sports.

The point I was making was more about overall presentation. The crowd in the background is a part of that, but the last few weeks have shown that you can still present televised sport well without a crowd in the background. 

So you want clubs to target people who can't/don't attend games more than and possibly to the detriment of those who can/might attend ?

You want clubs to chase a couple of quid from ' exiled ' fans who've moved away rather than get full price money from those who are on their doorstep ?

27 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

So you want clubs to target people who can't/don't attend games more than and possibly to the detriment of those who can/might attend ?

You want clubs to chase a couple of quid from ' exiled ' fans who've moved away rather than get full price money from those who are on their doorstep ?

I'm saying it's not an either/or thing. If you actually read my other posts, I also mentioned very clearly about the importance of attracting new people through the turnstIles as well. 

Why does making it easier for exciled fans to buy into the club come "to the detriment" of those who can attend? I'd love you to show your working on that one. 

Let's not beat about the bush here - a lot of the places in which RL is played are places that people (particuarly at the younger end of the spectrum) tend to leave. Either clubs can just shrug their shoulders and accept that, or they can do something for those audiences that may still have an affinity and willingness to support the club, even if they can't commit to coming through the turnstIles. I'm a Leeds United & Rhinos fan that (pre-COVID at least) spends very little time in Leeds. Does that mean that I'm suddenly worthless to those clubs? Of course it doesn't. I'm still able and willing to support them, both emotionally and financially, from afar, but it is up to them to make it easy for me to do that. 

The clubs in this sport have to respond to the fact that we're a much more mobile and transient population. The days of people leaving school at 16 and buying a terraced back-to-back next to the mill or pit that they'd spend their entire working lives working in are long gone. 

57 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

I'm saying it's not an either/or thing. If you actually read my other posts, I also mentioned very clearly about the importance of attracting new people through the turnstIles as well. 

Why does making it easier for exciled fans to buy into the club come "to the detriment" of those who can attend? I'd love you to show your working on that one. 

Let's not beat about the bush here - a lot of the places in which RL is played are places that people (particuarly at the younger end of the spectrum) tend to leave. Either clubs can just shrug their shoulders and accept that, or they can do something for those audiences that may still have an affinity and willingness to support the club, even if they can't commit to coming through the turnstIles. I'm a Leeds United & Rhinos fan that (pre-COVID at least) spends very little time in Leeds. Does that mean that I'm suddenly worthless to those clubs? Of course it doesn't. I'm still able and willing to support them, both emotionally and financially, from afar, but it is up to them to make it easy for me to do that. 

The clubs in this sport have to respond to the fact that we're a much more mobile and transient population. The days of people leaving school at 16 and buying a terraced back-to-back next to the mill or pit that they'd spend their entire working lives working in are long gone. 

So how much financially do you contribute to Leeds and the Rhino's ? , Apart from buying some cheap ' tat ' from the club shops ?

Just now, Davo5 said:

Sorry,,didn't realise this was your own personal thread,I'll leave you to it.

Did you read Whatmichealsays earlier posts ? , if you did , then you will understand my reply , if you didn't , pay more attention in future 

21 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Did you read Whatmichealsays earlier posts ? , if you did , then you will understand my reply , if you didn't , pay more attention in future 

Frankly I can understand  @Davo5's response. I don't think your reply really adds anything or means anything at all. 

I don't see what my personal expenditure on Leeds Rhinos has to do with my overriding point, but let's just say that if there was more that I could buy into, I quite possibly would (I haven't bought anything from the club shop for years, seeing as you brought it up). Leeds United currently get more of my money from outside Leeds / the UK because they offer things that I think have value to me, living where I often do.

You still haven't explained how trying to find ways to engage fans who can't make that regular matchday commitment is "detrimental* to match-going fans.

3 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

Frankly I can understand  @Davo5's response. I don't think your reply really adds anything or means anything at all. 

I don't see what my personal expenditure on Leeds Rhinos has to do with my overriding point, but let's just say that if there was more that I could buy into, I quite possibly would (I haven't bought anything from the club shop for years, seeing as you brought it up). Leeds United currently get more of my money from outside Leeds / the UK because they offer things that I think have value to me, living where I often do.

You still haven't explained how trying to find ways to engage fans who can't make that regular matchday commitment is "detrimental* to match-going fans.

So what have you spent on't yoonited that you can't spend on't Rhino's ?

You are suggesting that lower tier clubs should stream their matches live , that could potentially result in fewer people attending games and choosing to watch the streamed version instead  , how simple do you want it ?

10 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

So what have you spent on't yoonited that you can't spend on't Rhino's ?

You are suggesting that lower tier clubs should stream their matches live , that could potentially result in fewer people attending games and choosing to watch the streamed version instead  , how simple do you want it ?

I said that some kind of video subscription might have a place - I didn't suggest that streaming video content was necessarily the answer. 

Again, I think you're massively overplaying the impact that television has on attendances. At some point you're going to have to evidence your assertions.

You're amongst a cohort of people who like to bang on about how important "atmosphere" is - either atmosphere is so important that people will be drawn to games to experience it, or it is so unimportant that people will happily forgo it for a YouTube stream. Which is is?

Yes, I buy an online streaming service for Leeds United - it's the best way for me to watch games when I'm working overseas. And yes, I have a membership so that I have a chance of getting tickets for games in London. The merchandising at United is infinately better than what's on offer at the Rhinos as well.

At the end of the day, if you're happy to see  clubs viewing out of town fans as "dead to us", that's your prerogative, but I don't think this is a sport that can afford to turn away people able and willing to buy this sport in one way shape or form.

2 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

I said that some kind of video subscription might have a place - I didn't suggest that streaming video content was necessarily the answer. 

Again, I think you're massively overplaying the impact that television has on attendances. At some point you're going to have to evidence your assertions.

You're amongst a cohort of people who like to bang on about how important "atmosphere" is - either atmosphere is so important that people will be drawn to games to experience it, or it is so unimportant that people will happily forgo it for a YouTube stream. Which is is?

Yes, I buy an online streaming service for Leeds United - it's the best way for me to watch games when I'm working overseas. And yes, I have a membership so that I have a chance of getting tickets for games in London. The merchandising at United is intimately better than what's on offer at the Rhinos as well.

At the end of the day, if you're happy to see  clubs viewing out of town fans as "dead to us", that's your prerogative, but I don't think this is a sport that can afford to turn away people able and willing to buy this sport in one way shape or form.

Do the Rhino's have online streaming ?

Archived