Dec o Donnel

IanMac

I see it’s being reported that Ottawa are wanting to sign Dec for next year. I suppose they’ll have money to splash out,  but it would  be a real shame if he goes as he won’t have played a single game in his one year as a permanent town player. I really liked the look of him last season and with him Marcus and Blaine we were looking to have really good options.

• 4 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Sticklebricks said:

Looks like dec has gone to Ottawa along with Calvin wellington, have heard a couple more have moved but only hearsay yet ,time will tell but I have faith in Chris utt

It’s a bit of a shame really that due to these strange times we never got to see this squad fulfil what I think was undoubted potential. Hopefully we can keep hold of the bulk of the squad and strengthen up in areas we need. It’s certainly going to be a very competitive league next season with Rochdale and Keighley making signings, Ottawa, Newcastle, Barrow, Donny, Hunslet. Like you say I have faith in Chris and hopefully after the setback of this year we can look to consolidate and move forward again both on and off the pitch. UTT

34 minutes ago, IanMac said:

It’s a bit of a shame really that due to these strange times we never got to see this squad fulfil what I think was undoubted potential. Hopefully we can keep hold of the bulk of the squad and strengthen up in areas we need. It’s certainly going to be a very competitive league next season with Rochdale and Keighley making signings, Ottawa, Newcastle, Barrow, Donny, Hunslet. Like you say I have faith in Chris and hopefully after the setback of this year we can look to consolidate and move forward again both on and off the pitch. UTT

I’m not sure how , outside Ottawa , clubs are gonna manage  to strengthen and make signings . You’d think everyone at our level is severely hamstrung by all this and in the same boat . Just having every club survive is an accomplishment . I just wanna watch rugby , and with everything that’s gone on and the financial hit you take , I think you have to temper expectation in the short term and just see what happens 

Good luck to the lad. Great opportunity at a young age. Been a pleasure to have him and at times been a breath of fresh air. 

I imagine it won't be the last due to most clubs probably being greatly worse off. Still have two very exciting hookers in our squad.

12 hours ago, DavidM said:

I’m not sure how , outside Ottawa , clubs are gonna manage  to strengthen and make signings . You’d think everyone at our level is severely hamstrung by all this and in the same boat . Just having every club survive is an accomplishment . I just wanna watch rugby , and with everything that’s gone on and the financial hit you take , I think you have to temper expectation in the short term and just see what happens 

Absolutely agree David. 

Thinks this is a Stupid move for Dec and more annoyed that we have yet another player who the Club look after while injured and jumps ship at first chance.

As a player he would have been better coached by Chris and it looks like Ottawa are just going to be another Toronto who will ditch him as they step up their ambitions in promotion.

I really do not see what this is bringing to Rugby League as we will see no away supporters and how many Players have Canada now produced who could play in either team ? Toronto were going to finish bottom of Super League and would then have struggled in the Championship as their stupid money contracts would have emptied their finances.Ottawa and Toronto should both have to abide to an Overseas player Quota and Salary spend capped so that we are all on a level playing field regarding size and cost of squads.

Cant call the lad for taking up an opportunity that will never come up again. Regardless whether it works for Ottawa in the long term or not. 

Sure just about every lad round here in their early 20's, with no ties, would love the opportunity to work, live and travel a bit?

Good luck to him. And hope to see back one day.

Don't recall the likes of Penky,Kay,Beswick,Bailey,Sidlow,Emmit,Hall and Bussey moving to Canada as Toronto were based in Yorkshire and were just cherry picking the players they needed to get promotion and in my opinion brought absolutely nothing to our great game.

If he is moving over to Canada for a few years then good luck to him but I honestly can't see that being the case and if they gain the quick promotions they will expect then I am afraid he along with many others will become surplus to their requirements and be left in limbo and in that time New York will then come along and cause even more damage to grass roots rugby areas.

Said it and I'll say it again these overseas club projects are an unsustainable joke. No doubt they will spend big and trample over C1 and the championship. Then it will go belly up. It adds nothing in genral to the game of RL in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, town4me said:

Said it and I'll say it again these overseas club projects are an unsustainable joke. No doubt they will spend big and trample over C1 and the championship. Then it will go belly up. It adds nothing in genral to the game of RL in my opinion. 

Totally agree, if people have money to burn throw it this way , In my opinion it makes more sense pumping money into club's like town or haven or even still a new Cumbrian club than something that will never take off .

Love to see some investment in a cumbrian side. But not going to be likely.

Even though Toronto have failed, because of the pandemic rather than on the field. Not sure they had any investment from the rfl at all did they?

If the new teams aren't getting central funding and can expose the game to a wider, new audience. I'm all for it?

On 23/08/2020 at 11:03, Cumberland Sausage said:

Thinks this is a Stupid move for Dec and more annoyed that we have yet another player who the Club look after while injured and jumps ship at first chance.

As a player he would have been better coached by Chris and it looks like Ottawa are just going to be another Toronto who will ditch him as they step up their ambitions in promotion.

I really do not see what this is bringing to Rugby League as we will see no away supporters and how many Players have Canada now produced who could play in either team ? Toronto were going to finish bottom of Super League and would then have struggled in the Championship as their stupid money contracts would have emptied their finances.Ottawa and Toronto should both have to abide to an Overseas player Quota and Salary spend capped so that we are all on a level playing field regarding size and cost of squads.

Dont agree at all marra!

Young lad has the opportunity to play RL and get paid as a full time pro. He also gets the life experience of travel and new challenges that no young lads in West Cumbria would ever get in life - unless they go to University or do a gap year and travel.

World at his feet and you want him to plod along playing part time for a few £100 a game in what is a deprived area of the UK I'm afraid. Onwards and upwards for the lad and good luck to him.

What's the worst that can happen - it all goes wrong in Canada, but he earns a few ££, has some life experience and ends up back at Town? - suppose it could go worse and he ends up at Haven.

Real shame to see Chris confirm Calvin, Elliot Hall and Russ have all left the club as well. Each one of them have been a credit to themselves and been nothing but professional. Good luck to them in whatever they do. 

Really gutted about Elliot though. I thought he could (and still can) go on to do big things. He's a real talent.

On a positive note. Chris seems hell bent on going into 2021 with a stronger squad than we did this year. Few things in the pipeline. Just a shame it will probably be another 6 months before we see some rugby. 

5 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

Dont agree at all marra!

Young lad has the opportunity to play RL and get paid as a full time pro. He also gets the life experience of travel and new challenges that no young lads in West Cumbria would ever get in life - unless they go to University or do a gap year and travel.

World at his feet and you want him to plod along playing part time for a few £100 a game in what is a deprived area of the UK I'm afraid. Onwards and upwards for the lad and good luck to him.

What's the worst that can happen - it all goes wrong in Canada, but he earns a few ££, has some life experience and ends up back at Town? - suppose it could go worse and he ends up at Haven.

Yep from his perspective that’s right 

14 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

Dont agree at all marra!

We will have to agree to disagree and only time will tell which one of us is right But i will be seriously suprised if all these Ottawa signings are going to go over to Canada to live and train so not exactly going to see much travel.

Now if he had signed for a Club in Australia....................

8 hours ago, Cumberland Sausage said:

We will have to agree to disagree and only time will tell which one of us is right But i will be seriously suprised if all these Ottawa signings are going to go over to Canada to live and train so not exactly going to see much travel.

Now if he had signed for a Club in Australia....................

We will see how it pans out but while his Town teammates are jogging through Salterbeck he will be flying into Canada so good luck to the lad.

Maybe he should have held off for an Australian club as you suggest- I hear Brisbane were looking at making a bid.....

Archived